The latest radio outrage...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guy incognito, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

As stated here often before, TV and radio commercials for cars, toilet paper and such further degrade some really great songs into 20 second jingles.

Not only has the music been cheapened, but how about the product? Nowadays, you can find CDs in almost every room of the house, including the kitchen and the bathroom (of course it is always other family members, not use Stevehoffman.tv'ers)! You'll find them under the seat of your car, left turned upside down (how thoughtful! :realmad: ) on the shelf near the stereo (even if the case is a centimeter away!), in your gym bag, in your desk at the office, you get the idea.

You'll find them for sale on the counter at the gas station, supermarket, drug store.... Of course, the accessibility and "durability" does not compare, but could you imagine if, years ago, LPs were as proliferrent as CD are now! I think that we would all have heart conditions witnessing the abuse to which they are submitted!!:laugh:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yep. Engineers take it from program directors on that ALL THE TIME.

Station engineer will say, "Well, you'll lose the clarity of the sound when you shove so much broad bass in the bandwidth, and it wears on the transformers and the Optimod to where you'll have to replace valve tubes every 6 months"...

And I think those tubes are like $3,500 a set too...

"I don't care! DOO it!"

...But the station manager wets his pants when the power goes way off and dies somewhere at 89% and they can't raise the plate value....Because the tubes are on their way out.... If equipment were living creatures! :rolleyes:

3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I have noticed this on radio, both oldies and mainstream FM, for years. Normally, what I hear is the early fadeout and the DJ talking over the fadeout, which drives me crazy.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't know about that! I have seen LPs treated just as badly in my life...not in MY house, but...

5. Grant

I guess it cound depend on how old one is, or if one is used to radio.

I grew up with the LIVE AM radio jock blabbing dumb one-liners over the intro and outro of a record. I love it! But, in today's radio's case, the automated computers are fading the songs in the MIDDLE with some generic station slogan!

6. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I remember hearing that back in the 70's some stations would actually speed up songs slightly to be able to report to potential advertisers that they played more music therefore the advertiser and public would think less comercials. I guess slightly speeded up music over the course of the day could yeild a few more songs.

Anyone in the radio buisness know if this is true.

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

That may be part of it, but the main reason I was always told that stations would speed up their music was to make it sound more upbeat, peppy and snappy, as they say. Never heard anyone mention the advertising angle, but it wouldn't surprise me. My old station never did that, and I remember once a fellow coming in from another station and commenting how odd the songs sounded to him at the correct speed.
    :rolleyes:

8. Grant

On the other hand, last night at work, the piped-in sattelite sevice played "Two To Make It Right" by Seduction, and they lowered the pitch-not the tempo. I guess this is because the key that the record is sung in is high enough to bother some older shoppers, so they lowered it. The song sounded very odd and wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.