"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Maybe they had other places to go before getting to the lake. Their bags they had in the trunk could have been stashed elsewhere earlier so they didn't look suspicious when they left their families that night.

2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

SO many questions, I actually want to re-watch the whole deal now. I paid attention and all but this season's quality was much better than I could have hoped for, after having gotten hooked on the first season all I can say is that this one shot well over the top compared to really anything out there at the moment, or recently that I can think of -save for the Knick (-maybe..).
    My big question is what is in that copy of National geographic anyway?

Scotian and stereoptic like this.
  3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I had found a webpage that had scans of several pages of that National Geographic, if I find it again I'll post a link.

ubiknik likes this.
  4. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

bopdd and Scotian like this.
  5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

from that article:

“Tom, myself and our incredible team of writers and producers put tremendous care into designing those seasons as novels unto themselves…with beginnings, middles and ends,” Lindelof said. “As we finished our most recent season, it became clear to us that the series as a whole was following the same model…and with our beginning and middle complete, the most exciting thing for us as storytellers would be to bring ‘The Leftovers’ to a definitive end. And by ‘definitive,’ we mean ‘wildly ambiguous but hopefully mega-emotional,’ as all things related to this show are destined to be.”

I take this as code for: you will not conclusively find out what the National Geographic thing is all about...

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

IT safe to assume...... "NO ANSWERS!!!"

Deesky likes this.
  7. agentalbert

Sounds great to me. I don't need definitive answers. I just want more of what they have been doing.

Kubricker and etzeppy like this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm up to episode 5 of the first season. Whoa. This is a thought-provoking show. Very happy that this thread got me to watch it.

EVOLVIST and GentleSenator like this.
  9. Lonson

Just finished the second episode of Season 2. "Uh oh." This is great television.

Kubricker likes this.
  10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

it gets better...

11. Okay, since this is full of spoilers, and since I sufficiently read little bits of this thread, as I was watching, without having anything spoiled, I'll begin with DAMN!

I'm finally caught up and finished with Season 2.

I find it amazing how we can suspend our imagination for some things, but not for others, to wit; in the spirit of the show I was willing to swallow everything. Only, I couldn't take Kevin coming back twice. In fact, when Kevin was shot by John, the bullet entered just below the heart. When we see the wound, again, it's right below the sternum. The exit wound is clearly either on the spine, or just to the left of it.

Now, how in God's name could Kevin have survived this? Not only survived, but at some point he was just walking around, smiling. His surviving the wound was within the real of possibility, but he probably should be dead as hell. Besides, if it was as easy as singing bad karoke to come back to the living, wouldn't everybody be doing it?

I bought the flying saucer in Fargo more than I bought this incident.

Excellent show, though! Beautiful, even.

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I thi
    I think him dying twice on top of everything else, but coming back each time is the point. Believable would be for a documentary or maybe Fargo if you are UFO inclined. In a way the theme of the show itself is belief.
    Remember the ground shaking just before he goes into the house after getting home with his friendly neighbor (who earlier in the day shot him with the intent to kill...)? Well maybe all of his family were arranged there at the house at that moment...by the same force.
    I think it's all chalked up to some form of divine intervention, the pond was probably drained just to keep him alive after he tied a cinder block to his leg and went for a midnight suicide swim -while sleepwalking.
    Maybe the sleepwalking was him under the influence of the evil force (Satan, Beelzebub or who/whatever) and when the leader of the cult died in front of him it triggered the positive or divine process of him having to put her soul to rest (getting rid of her ghost...). He wasn't just Karaoke singing, he was singing Homeward Bound...and he chose correctly to do that in a bizarre world that he knew operated on different rules.
    I could go on but for me it is solid and thought provoking fiction of the highest order. I see a lot of ways this story could go and it makes me want to read the book -but I'll wait.

Lonson and vince like this.
  13. vince

Was WAS that 'classical music' that was playing, while he was dead anyway?

14. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

I took that to mean that when he accepted himself instead of trying to be someone else, his path home was much easier (singing karake vs. having to assassinate someone).

15. Yeah, I follow ya. We're talking a near perfect show here. The reason I quoted this part of your excellent post is because when he was singing "Homeward Bound," wow, talk about chills during the flashbacks. They were perfect inserts, just as the right times in the song.

At the end of the day, Kevin coming back twice didn't ruin it for me. I guess it's to say that his actions, his gait, his demeanor in the real world was what I thought was off. It was pretty on when he was laying on the floor, talking to John, with that crippled voice...but hey, that's just nitpicking. I mean, hey, there's Phineas Gage. I remember the story of a young German soldier in WWI who took some shrapnel to his neck, severing his carotid artery. He had the presence of mind to pull the two ends of the severed artery as far as he could from his neck, and then bite down on them. He walked 3 miles like that, until he got the aid station. Nobody wanted to tell him that when he let go, that would be the end. And it was. He didn't make it, but he beat insurmountable odds for a while.

So, yeah, something outside of the characters is pulling the strings in some way.

If you're talking about the classical music that played all through the hotel, that was Verdi, from the opera "Nabucco"

Frankly, I've always thought this piece was a cop of some of Mozart's work in "Don Giovanni," only lightened a bit with the prominent woodwinds.

ubiknik and vince like this.
  16. vince

Thanks!
    I know coulda looked it up myself.......
    I thought Justin Theroux's 'face-acting' went so well with that music!

17. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That music was so perfect for that scene it's not even funny, er it was funny though...
    Whoah, poor Phineas. I have a friend who was in a real nasty motorcycle accident and that main artery running through his thigh was cut open -thankfully a military trained med student was in a nearby vehicle who ran up and used a belt to stop the bleeding -they figured that would have been it for him in a few minutes if that hadn't happened.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. Yeah, his femoral artery. It doesn't take long to bleed out that way.

I worked for a while in my father's funeral business. I went on a body call one night, and a guy was unpacking his car from vacation. He pulled his revolver from the glove box, while he was standing, backing out of the car. He walked back, tripped on a generator behind him, fell, his legs went up in the air, and he pulled the trigger trying to get his balance. Shot himself just below the groin, in the femoral.

By the time his family made it from the kitchen to the garage, upon hearing the shot, he had only a whisper and he was gone. Tough luck. Freak accident. No wonder my perception of Kevin coming back from a wound like that was tainted. Haha.

ubiknik likes this.
  19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

wow.

20. agentalbert

That sounds like a scene strait out of "Six Feet Under". :)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. The stuff I've seen, man, makes "Six Feet Under" look like Romper Room.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

3 Seasons?
    Bah.

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'd rather have 3 quality seasons than have the show dragged on just to fill up time. season 4 would probably involve time travel. ;)

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

You lost me there. :)

stereoptic likes this.
  25. Lonson

He was making a LOST reference. ;)

I'm making my way through Season 2 and avoiding the pertinent sections of this thread. Love this series!

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.