"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is season 2 better than season 1?

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The whole 'Kevin-battles-Patty' thing gives Season 2 the edge over Season One, IMO.
    The grandfather was 'X' from "The X-Files"!

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the ending (sic) of episode one was certainly stunning as well as thought provoking.

i'm guessing that will also be the final scene of the final show also, it is now just a matter of how do we get there?

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Who in the hell was the girl at the end with the pigeons?

5. vince

Listen to the sound of her voice.....
    I think it's Nora...in the future.

EVOLVIST, Lonson and GodShifter like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ok, thanks. I thought the beginning of this was a bit weird (weirder than anything from the 2nd season).

7. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I don't think anything really pointed to the future except her being an older looking Nora, but it could be. It could also be an ancestor or relative of Nora. The bird messages would tie in to the beginning scene, so it looked like they were showing Nora's ancestry.
    It seemed more like the past. No cars or electronics. The clothing styles looked a bit too current, but that could be an anachronism, though unlikely. Also her name was Sara, but that could be an alias.

Encuentro likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

She answered "No" when asked if the name Kevin meant anything to her, but she reacted as if she did recognize the name.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. vince

Just re-watching it again, and I noticed that 'future Nora/Sara' has removed so many notes from all those birds, that she has a bucket full of 'em.

Chris from Chicago and EVOLVIST like this.
  10. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

It could be the messages she tossed out referenced his name.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Well, that episode was fun. I did like the idea of dogs transforming into politicians. I enjoyed that episode but like the first two seasons, it's difficult to watch the episodes a week apart. It's much easier rewatching them all after the season is over & you've got a clue what's going on & where it's going. I think this show out-stranges Twin Peaks at times.

GodShifter and vince like this.
  12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It reminded me of the Season 2 opener, which had a deep flashback.

Maybe this was the early days of "Miracle"?

GodShifter likes this.
  13. Maybe this first episode was awesome!

It was incredibly weird. Very edgy. Where is Lilly? Probably with Erika.

Jill was right. The whole lot if them are screwed in the head. Kevin has to die a little extra each day in order to live. Just a little extra. John and Laurie are a horrible couple.

The only part that I thought was a little dumb was that Mary is leaving Matt because she can't leave the park, yet Matt knows she is leaving and won't throw her a bone to keep her by him? Rather he would have her go to New York where - according to Matt's beliefs - she and his son will die for sure, being so far from Miracle. Just so what? Matt can worship Kevin.

Matt and Mary are very ungrateful.

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don't know where Erika is, but Lily has been away at college. She mentioned it in passing when she was talking to Kevin before she left.

Edit: Oops! I got Lily mixed up with Jill.

15. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

16. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I enjoyed this. They do scene ones in season openers real well.

I think the priest essentially kidnapping his own wife was a bit creepy. I mean, I get it, he was trying to keep her safe, but that's a bit much.

The only thing they threw me off, and it was only temporary...I was sure the bike riding bird man at the end was going to be Kevin's father in Australia. I was shocked to see future Nora.

The book of Kevin could be a good read.

The dog shooter should have a headache in the morning.

17. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

One of the best shows/movies I've ever seen. Still haven't watched the first episode of this season though... gonna get to it now.

18. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

She sounded like Nora... and she looked like Nora. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for her to be an ancestor. Why would her ancestor look JUST like her? this isn't Back to the Future!. What makes sense it's that she's future Nora. But I don't like that idea at all. That looks like a sad, post apocalyptic almost future... and I like that this show, for all the harrowing it can be, has had rather happy endings. Don't want this season's (and the whole show's!) ending to be different in that respect.

But hell, maybe she's a Nora from an alternate reality or something.

I liked the episode, but it was weird as hell. Maybe I should have rewatched the last few episodes from last season cause there are things I don't seem to remember. What happened the baby Nora and Kevin had adopted? I thought that was the little child that was with Nora first, but then they showed a flashback and I was reminded the baby (Eve? Lilly?) was black. What happened to her? For the life of me I can't remember anything happening to her?.

And what the hell was that beginning about? any theories?.

19. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

This show has always had religious undertones. The fact that the first episode aired on Easter (awfully rare, new programming is almost never on Christmas or Easter) tells a lot.

A quaker-like community in the mid 1800's has some families showing their faith by climbing up on their houses to be taken by God on the day it was predicted. In spite of others laughing at them. So a new date is prophesied. But next time fewer climb. Next time fewer still. Soon only the wife climbs, even her husband scoffs. But she stands by her faith.

Next we see the Guilty Remnant who also stood for what they believed in. Even though the whole world looked down on them for doing so. Even if they stood alone, like the quaker wife.

Of course a government missile erased the GR out of existence. So, not sure how that ties into people who stand up for their faith.

Yeah, I'm sure of it. Or not.

Paulwalrus, GodShifter, vince and 2 others like this.
  20. vince

YES!
    They brought back that guy from "Perfect Strangers"!

Encuentro likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

And they brought in the Perfect Strangers theme song. I didn't recognize it when I heard it but thought it sounded like something from an 80s sitcom. :)

Chris from Chicago and JPagan like this.
  22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It looks like they just may be going in the direction of trying to explain what happened to the departed.

23. vince

Speaking of 'opening credits', I'm gonna have to watch it again!
    There were some strange 'names' on the 'Written By.." graphic !
    Something like, "The Lonely Donkey Kong", or something like that!
    Did you see it too?

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I did see that but it flashed so fast I couldn't get it all. I did see something about "Donkey Kong" or something to that effect.

This episode was very odd and kind of frustrating. Parts of it seemed like it was veering towards comedy and the Nora intensive episode frustrated me a bit.

Now, as to the Australia thing, was the woman on the horse (the leader) who most people thought was 'future Nora'? It would explain the accent and the weird scene at the end of the first episode and the thing with "Kevin". This series continues to become more and more bizarre.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  25. vince

The thing with "what-happened-to-Lillie" seems a little too 'wrapped-up-quick';
    just like Damon had to do in "LOST" with certain 'story-lines'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.