"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I want to know why the GR's chain smoke.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

There is no reason to believe the triggering events depicted here are based upon or even have anything to do with "the rapture", or have any religious component whatsoever. In fact, I think that's a major part of the point, the extent to which some people are so desperate to give their minds a rest about the unexplained that they'll grasp at supernatural explanations, just as they did 2 or 3 or 4 thousand years ago.

I was having a difficult time with the lighting (as usual on film and TV today) and all of the male characters looking alike. So if I have this right, the four people in the picture are Chief Dad, Bad Attitude Daughter, now Smoking White Mom and the blond kid who drove the Congressman into the desert and doesn't answer his phone? So two of the four ran off into cults? The two kids, especially the boy, looked way too young in the picture for that to be three years before.

wayneklein likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

'coz they wanna be cool!....... :nyah:just kidding!

4. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

The uninformed might think this is a post Thanksgiving cooking show.

Gumboo and Jamey K like this.
  5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Ok, I'll concede that the Departure is a rapture like occurance and not the biblical rapture.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think you have it right, and I too thought the kid in the picture looked too young to be the guy driving the congressman out to the compound, but that family picture could be from years ago. There's no reason it has to have been taken right before the event only three years ago. Just a family picture hanging on the wall. Could be 5, 7, 10 years ago.

I really liked the pilot. I have no qualms about watching a series with an unexplained event. The same people who can't get over not knowing why zombies exist in The Walking Dead and how there has to be a cure are likely to be frustrated by this. But like that show, this seems like it will be more about how people deal with an unexplainable event that in revealing the mystery itself. I can't think of what a reasonable explanation would be anyway.

Looking forward to the next episode.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I've watched the first episode, and I agree with your comments.

8. Oh how enticing. Why the disappearances? Why the cult? Why the cigarette smoking? Why the charismatic seer? Why the importance of the hot Asian girl? Most importantly why bother at all and just invest my tight viewing time in a show that is not set up to jerk me around?

Jamey K likes this.
  9. Oh how enticing. Why the disappearances? Why the cult? Why the cigarette smoking? Why the charismatic seer? Why the importance of the hot Asian girl? Most importantly why bother at all and just invest my tight viewing time in a show that is not set up to jerk me around?

10. Oh how enticing. Why the disappearances? Why the cult? Why the cigarette smoking? Why the charismatic seer? Why the importance of the hot Asian girl? Most importantly why bother at all and just invest my tight viewing time in a show that is not set up to jerk me around?

11. Oh how enticing. Why the disappearances? Why the cult? Why the cigarette smoking? Why the charismatic seer? Why the importance of the hot Asian girl? Most importantly why bother at all and just invest my tight viewing time in a show that is not set up to jerk me around?

12. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Were the disappearances about alien abduction or something demonic? The pilot offered no hints. Is this a sci fi or horror show? Knowing at least this much would get me in a frame of mind.

13. Why the multiple posts?:angel:

14. They are trying to have both options available. Is it science or God's magic? I love the way they set up a false equivalency between both possibilities. Another reason for me to ditch the show.

15. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I agree with you there. As much as I loved Lost I wish the writers had left less to my imagination and actually provided answers to some of the key mysteries.

Pete Puma likes this.
  16. agentalbert

The sign in their house says "We do not smoke for enjoyment, we smoke to proclaim our faith". Or something like that. White clothes, black lungs. They've got a breath theme. They smoke. They told the people at the "Heroes Day" celebration to "stop wasting your breath". Maybe that just refers to talking, which the GR give up. The other sign in the house (over the sink in the bathroom ) read "WE ARE LIVING REMINDERS - guilty remnant" so they think those still around are guilty of something somehow. Maybe they smoke to express the futility of planning for the future? Don't know. You want a cult to make sense?

17. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

They do not talk because they don't want to waste their breath. On the other hand they smoke because they want to waste their breath. I see now!

Pete Puma likes this.
  18. agentalbert

I'm intrigues by the questions the insurance agent has to ask people before paying a life insurance claim on one of the disappeared. Presumably they are to assess the possibility the person is just in hiding.

"To your knowledge, has your son ever traveled to Brazil?"

????

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Was it REALLY important for us to know the ENTIRE cast of "Perfect Strangers" were 'dissappeared'?

GodShifter likes this.
  20. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Ok, I tried to watch this HBO show for a 2nd week. Couldn't get through it. If I wanted to read the dialogue on pieces of paper I'd send for a script. The whole speechless cult members thing is getting really old. The plot depicts the sudden & mysterious disappearance of a % of the world's population. However, other than that annoying cult, everything else seems pretty normal.

Pete Puma likes this.
  21. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Missed the opening episode as in was in Cancun, I'll catch up via On Demand.

22. agentalbert

What you're seeing is three years after the event though. Things certainly were much more chaotic when it first happened. We only see glimpses of that. Do you expect people to still be running around like headless chickens three years later?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I nearby give you a triple-like for this message. :righton:

24. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

They're really going to have to gel some plotlines in the next episode, or it might be my last. Doesn't look likely, though, as the previews suggest a greater role for the preacher-- yet another character to follow. If it weren't for Aimee and her enchanting mouth, I'd probably be gone already :love:

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They lost me at the premise stage!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.