"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't take it as them dumping them. I think they consider the story done with some of the characters. It's my understanding that the book ended where the first season did, so they are creating a new story now. After the way things went down in season 1, I can see some of the characters deciding to move elsewhere for a fresh start.

michaelscrutchin likes this.
  2. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

I think you're exactly right.

And if Carrie Coon is still in, I'm still in. I like Justin Theroux, so I'm glad he'll be back too. The first season had its high and low points, but overall I found it pretty dang compelling. Episode 6, "Guest," was one of the best episodes of any TV show last year and a great showcase for just how terrific Carrie Coon is.

3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Amen to Carrie Coon.
    I will continue watching just to see her

4. agentalbert

Teaser for season 2 which airs this Fall.

Scotian likes this.
  5. agentalbert

Air date for the first episode of season 2 is 10/4/15. Can't wait!

stereoptic and rontoon like this.
  6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

So... the first season took place in New York, but this season is in the Midwest? Involving some of the same characters?

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

midwest....or texas?

and yes some of the same characters, but not all. (from what i have read anyway)

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

As long as Carrie Coon returns I'm happy

maxnix likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

she is back for sure.

10. agentalbert

Glad to have the show back. First episode was interesting.

1 - I like the new title sequence and song - Iris Dememt's "Let The Mystery Be" from 1993. The song could be a response to those wanting/needing an explanation for the departures. I'm not sure the show will ever provide this, and don't really care if it doesn't.

2 - Wasn't expecting to start off with a sorta "2001" homage, going from early man to the present. But it was a powerful opening, making a statement about events beyond our comprehension and the need to move on.

3 - the scene of Yvette running naked through the woods - is this where she goes in her mind during her "seizures"?

Anyone know what the song played over the closing credits was? I didn't recognize it. I'm sure it will be listed online somewhere soon, but with the episode just now airing, I don't know what it was yet.

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm sure we're gonna see a little bit of 'flash-back' to see AT LEAST how they were able to get to Miracle.......... right?

12. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

I liked the first season. I don't need my movies or series to always have a complete or logical ending.

13. agentalbert

They packed up and drove. I don't know that its any dramatic event. I wouldn't be surprised if we did see some of the journey, though.

14. vince

It's one thing to not explain the un-explainable, but..... C;MON!
    they could explain SOME THINGS.... right?

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I just watched Season One on BD last week, and it took me about half the season to figure out we were never gonna learn what happened. I thought it'd be much more of a sci-fi sort of series that looked at the disappearance and went down that road, whereas it's almost entirely about how people dealt with the Departure.

I think it's an up and down, borderline maddening series. I stayed with it all 10 episodes but I was tempted to bail!

16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I really liked last season & this one is off to a great start. I like spending time in this alternate reality. The show is interesting, original and I don't fall asleep watching it. That's about as good as it gets these days.

agentalbert likes this.
  17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

18. Harry C

Harry C Forum Resident

According to the subtitles, it was 'Let Tomorrow Be' by Fern Jones.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

excellent first episode, just excellent.

20. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

21. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

This series is crazy. I've never been so fascinated in something i wasn't exactly sure of what I was watching.

I too, like the new opening sequence. And I like the new couple.

A clear acrylic/glass crate does not seem like the most efficient and safest way to cover up a giant crack/fissure on the street.

Also, was the daughter disappearing from the newly drained lake the "bad thing" that was supposed to happen to the dad?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    vince likes this.
  22. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Great start to season 2. I also love the new title sequence, and thought the cameo from Mark Linn-Baker was hilarious!

23. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Exactly! I keep saying I have no idea where they are going with this or why, but but the ride is fantastic.

24. vince

Is it me, or did anybody else notice the strange 'phasing/audio-manipulation' on Episode 2?

25. agentalbert

I didn't notice there. Do you remember where you specifically heard it?

What, if anything, to make of the scenes where Kevin seems to be looking at something but we can't tell what? There was that scene in the laundromat after quiting the baby where he is just looking at an empty counter and clothes rack and then the scene where he's taking a walk with his dad and he seems to be looking at something in the grass. What was that, a dog? I couldn't tell. In the laundromat, I wasn't sure what he was looking at or if he was expecting to see his ghost-Patty there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.