The Lilac Time - 2 decades behind or 15 years ahead of its time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I think he would be well-served by a good career-spanning comp. My suggestion below - any other thoughts welcome:
    Return to Yesterday / And the Ship Sails On / Wednesday Jones / American Eyes / Fields / In Iverna Gardens / Finistere / A Taste for Honey / Grey Skies and Work Things / Madresfield / Natalie / Charlotte's Conversations / It Sparkles / London Girls / Jane / Tabitha's Island / The Waitress' Story / A Dream That We All Share / Nursery Walls / Driving Somewhere

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

haha, like its a crime to have a sad song, some of his best are sad...lol..

3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Memory & Desire serves this purpose, no?

http://www.discogs.com/Stephen-Duff...re-30-Years-In-The-Wilderness/release/4512398

4. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

That compilation is an extremely eccentric selection that only presents a very narrow view of Duffy's output. That's his prerogative, of course, but I don't think Memory & Desire can be reasonably described as a "good career-spanning comp." I think there's only ONE single represented ('Black Velvet'), and on the basis of this collection you'd be forgiven for assuming that he was incapable of writing an upbeat pop song, which is obviously nonsense.

Actually, if you compiled the 30+ A-sides he's released throughout his career on another couple of discs, you'd not only have a killer compilation, but - coupled with Memory & Desire - a terrific career overview box set.

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, I would guess he's less interested in focusing on the pop stuff at this point, given that he compiled this one himself. The earlier Compendium: The Fontana Trilogy does collect most of the Likac Time singles, though.

6. DJ WILBUR

Memory and Desire is not a party listen, amazing how a band I love so much, that is so "poppy", to use the wrong word, but gets the point made, but its a cohesive body of work. I cant imagine anyone putting out another collection on this guy with sales non existent for many releases, especially this guy....Compendium is a solid two cd set that I always listen to. when its bleak out, Memory and Desire gets some attention.

7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

He more or less thought that was going to be the last thing he ever put out at the time, so I think Memory & Desire more than reflects his mood. Very pleased with the new album, though, and happy to know there's more on the way.

8. eifion

eifion Forum Resident

Memory & Desire is always the SD/TLT compilation I pick to listen to over Compendium. I'm not sure what that says about me. All it's missing is the sublime "Rain on a River" which was only on the CD single of "You've Got To Love" and which suffers from CD rot.

e.s. likes this.
  9. DJ WILBUR

oh I didn't realize he was seeing Memory & Desire as a swan song release, well that didn't make sense so glad he is soldiering on. he probably makes some dosh on his publishing though, so good for him making a living as a respectable artist.

e.s. likes this.
  10. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

For me, that one doesn't really capture it, in terms of a career-spanning overview of his best stuff.

11. DJ WILBUR

I just put Memory & Desire on for a hot, hazy, humid listen, sounding perfect...its not a career listen I give you that.

red corner likes this.
  12. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

A friend of mine has got this cd single with exactly the same problem, but he noticed it early enough and (I think with the help of some software program) managed to save the song on his harddrive.

13. DJ WILBUR

that song is on Compendia, though its a remix I think, but maybe so is this bside? compendia is really terrific just based on how its sequenced and plays out. really one of the best comps ever IMO juggling bsides, singles and key album tracks, that's really my single fave Lilac release.

14. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

we are taking about Rain on the river ? and you mean Compendium , right? - I don't have it but just checked with discogs and can't find it in the tracklisting...
    http://www.discogs.com/Lilac-Time-Compendium-The-Fontana-Trinity/release/1453133

15. eifion

eifion Forum Resident

I'm sure I read once that the master tapes for "Rain on a River" were lost, which is why it didn't appear on either Compendium or Memory & Desire. A shame, as it's a gem. I also managed to rescue it from my CD single before it became too damaged to use.

16. DJ WILBUR

right you are, I realize its the A side on Compendia, sorry for the confusion.

I've never heard the track Rain on a River. nice title

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

In terms of newer stuff, still waiting to receive my copy of the "Prussian Blue" single. Anyone else get this yet?

18. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Yeah. It's good, but I wasn't that great a fan of the last album. The live b-sides are quite lovely, though: 'The Lost Girl in the Midnight Sun' comes off particularly well in this arrangement.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Cool, looking forward to hearing that.

I actually love the new album, probably my favorite of the later period Lilac Time records. His voice has aged really well.

20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Clarkophile likes this.
  21. DJ WILBUR

bit of a languid durge that...lol...no, it is lovely in many ways, but so wished it was something its not...if that makes sense...

22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, it's definitely quite different from the recorded version.

23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Mid Winter bump

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  24. eifion

eifion Forum Resident

If you're going to bump a Lilac Time thread in winter then we should listen to this:

25. DJ WILBUR

that's a great tune for winter..nice to think about Lilac Time today...thanks for bumping this ole time thread o mine

Scope J likes this.