The Lilac Time - 2 decades behind or 15 years ahead of its time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Dec 2, 2007.

1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I only know Duffy's "The Ups and Downs" album. Also his 12-inch single release of "Kiss Me" which includes the 8-minute b-side "In This Twilight" which is one of the best things to ever come out of the 80's. Amazing audiophile sound on that 12-inch too.

2. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I am revisiting some of my Lilac Time today, and I am finishing up with Keep Going. Great songs, an evolution to Looking For a Day in the Night, I think. And the mastering by Tony Cousins at Metropolis is absolutely thrilling. Give this one another spin, gang!

3. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I loved Looking for a Day, but most of what followed didn't quite do it for me, for whatever reason (apart from "Driving Somewhere"). I will try Keep Going again...

4. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I think Keep going deserves a revisit , but I was also disappointed with the last two

5. Peace N. Love

In case anyone here subscribes to Rock's Backpages, they just posted an excellent Duffy profile (originally published in The Word) from 2006. Recommended reading, fascinating stuff.

Kristofa likes this.
  6. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

I have always liked Lilac Time and loved the first 3 albums.
    Then my wife and I had kids and I didn't keep up with bands the way i used to.
    Now have a grandson and he's only one but he loves music and I played all 3 albums while playing with him this past Saturday.
    This made me start searching the net to see what I have missed over the years from Mr Duffy and I just ordered:
    Astronauts,Keep Going,Looking for Day in The Night,Sad Songs

I think Lilac 6 and Runout Groove are only ones I am missing.

For Solo albums which are the main ones to get?
    From reading here I see I Love my Friends and Duffy,what else?

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  7. Peace N. Love

Music in Colours is superb - one of Duffy's best works, to my ears.

julotto, Kristofa and peterzac like this.
  8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Music In Colours is closest to what you've got so far, but the first two solo albums are good, too, especially if you like '80s pop.

peterzac likes this.
  9. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

I sampled this one and wasn't sure of the violin breaks in songs but have ordered a used copy to check it out.

10. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

I do like 80's pop if its stuff like Tears For Fears,XTC,Love & Rockets,Cocteau Twins,DM,Erasure,etc.

What are the first 2 you recommend as what would be best release as I think from reading see that some have been released with extra tracks now.

11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I like pretty much all things Duffy. I also recommend Music in Colours.

12. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

I loved the last one. Didn't play its predecessor, "Runout Groove", much - perhaps a shade too glum (or maybe just the banal reason that it's packaged in a book and doesn't fit on my normal CD shelves - out of sight, out of mind).

I found a Swordfish CD of the debut at Amoeba for a few bucks the other week; can't be many of those around. It's quite a different mix to the major label version - maybe there was some additional recording added to the latter. I think I may prefer it.

13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The first one is The Ups and Downs, and it contains Duffy's big hit "Kiss Me," along with "Icing on the Cake" and "Wednesday Jones." The second was Because We Love You, which (for me) is less consistent than Duffy's debut, but has songs that probably point more toward where he was going as a songwriter than the first one.

And in-between his first two solo albums and the debut Lilac Time record, there's an album by Dr. Calculus, which is cool but probably not essential.

In terms of the Lilac Time, there's also a great EP that came out around the time of Runout Groove, Happy Birthday Peace, and of course there's a new album due out sometime this year.

Anyone living in the UK should also look into seeing the Lilac Time play at this year's Port Eliot festival – they're doing the whole first album.

peterzac likes this.
  14. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

Thanks for that information but doesn't look like I will be getting these as out of my price range, these must be pretty rare unless I haven't looked in the right places.

15. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Not sure which albums you are refering to but the first two Stephen Duffy Lps can be purchased very cheaply

e.s. likes this.
  16. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

I am looking for the cd's which seem to priced way up there.
    I know this is sacrilege to many from this site but I don't do Lp's any more.

17. eifion

eifion Forum Resident

"Because We Love You" is expensive on CD because it only ever came out in Japan. "The Ups and Downs" used to be fairly easy to find, but seems to have gone up in price recently. It's annoying that these two weren't reissued when most of Duffy's stuff was about ten years ago.

18. Peace N. Love

Having heard and enjoyed "Kiss Me" back in '83, Duffy's other early solo stuff didn't gel with me and I only got back on board when the first Lilac Time album came out. "Return to Yesterday" was a revelation. I still can't get into the pre-Lilac stuff, apart from "Kiss Me" and the fantastic "Wednesday Jones" (of which my preferred rendering is the "dixie version," I think).

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The Ups and Downs was reissued, around 2007, 2008 or so, and with a different cover, extra tracks, and the single version of "Wednesday Jones" replacing the album version. "The World at Large Alone" is a different mix, too.

20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

There's a CD entitled They Called Him Tin Tin that is fairly easy to come by and generally pretty inexpensive. It compiles (most of) the best tracks from the first two albums, plus a Dr. Calculus track or two, and some b-sides. Might be a good start if you're unsure about pulling the trigger on the first two albums.

21. eifion

eifion Forum Resident

Ooh, how did I miss that?

I'd forgotten about that. It's well worth picking up for a cheap overview of Duffy's pre-Lilac Time era.

22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Supposedly, everything is going to be reissued across multiple formats in the not-too-distant future. That's what Duffy has posted online, anyway.

peterzac likes this.
  23. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

I been listening to them all day, so "springtime" vibed which we finally have a taste of here.

peterzac and e.s. like this.
  24. Peace N. Love

Look forward to hearing what you think.

25. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

oh I love them, I started this thread 9 years ago! can't believe it's still here, but great band and i dig most of his catalog, its worthy