The Long Road Home/The Volunteers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Volunteers is a 2-part documentary available through Direct/ATT TV on the Audience Network. The Long Road Home is a series currently showing on NAT GEO. This is incredible television.

The Volunteers is produced by Ricky Schroeder's production company based on an entirely voluntary unit of medics working the front lines in Syria. Unsanctioned, undermanned, unfunded, ill-equipped, overworked, these men are the personification of courage. The doc is so raw, so close to the edge that it results in all emotions feeling somehow more visceral. Fear, Hope, horror, sadness, and happiness all somehow seem amped to the nth degree due to the circumstances these men found themselves in. In the course of the doc they run into American 'volunteer' soldiers. The doc didn't mention who hired the soldiers but here's the thing; soldiers in a warzone they don't have to be in are probably mercenaries and are often "war-junkies". War junkies is a syndrome not limited to soldiers, reporters and photographers also often get bit by the 'bug'. While these medics may also have been bit by the 'bug', there cause seems entirely selfless and totally humanitarian. One of the hardest hitting documentaries I've ever seen.

The Long Road Home is a dramatization of events that actually occurred in Iraq. Extremely well done, superb acting, and a truly heart-wrenching, edge of your seat exciting, story that's been shown for the past two weeks. American soldiers were assigned to an Iraqi town that hadn't had a violent 'incident' in over a year, and they get ambushed in a well planned, coordinated attack. Anyone that enjoyed movies like Lone Survivor and Black Hawk Down will definitely get into this.

So one is a real-life documentary and one a dramatization of true events. Although they're different locales, it's striking how similar the landscape and life situations are in that part of the world. Desperate poverty combined with a vicious lack of humanity. Having watched these shows somewhat back to back, more than ever I'm convinced that modern warfare has never been more barbaric and vicious. God bless all the men and women on those front lines. Needless to say, I consider these both must-see TV events and highly recommend them.

2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Long Road Home wrapped up last night and all I can say is WOW, truly outstanding. Some of the most intense battle scenes I've ever seen on TV OR the movies. If a movie leaves you with a lump in yr throat, it's a success! I'm left with a disturbing realization, although IMO we're experiencing a great number of 'modern' war movies, too many of them depict our forces in near impossible situations, hopelessly outmanned and outgunned, but somehow triumphing over overwhelming forces. What's disturbing is the majority of these tales are TRUE, I'm left wondering why our boys are so consistently finding themselves in these situations in the 1st place. There's no answer or blame, it just is I guess. Just as consistent is the bravery, and pure heart displayed by our soldiers.

Something else occurred to me. This thread got NO hits which is fine but....how many pages and threads are currently running about comic book/sci-fi/fantasy projects? They're seemingly endless. What does it say about us that a show depicting true heroism, true slam bang action, true very intense drama, and true heartbreak barely gets mentioned? Thankfully, the show has been very critically well acclaimed and is up for awards but.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.