The Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sput, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam Thread Starter

Many months ago and seeing nothing "must see" at Blockbuster I picked up The Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring on DVD. Having read the Trilogy many years ago I figured, what the heck.
    I loved it. It was well written and performed. The special effects were fantastic and the audio was grade A.
    This weekend I watched The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers and was amazed that a sequel was better than the original in writing, acting, effects and audio.
    This has to be one of the most underrated sets of movies or movies I can recall. They are long in time length but I found myself not wanting them to end. It is a top notch adventure that most of the family can enjoy.
    I cannot wait for the final episode. Does anyone know when it's due to come out?

2. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

The Return of the King comes out Dec. 17. I can't remember how official the source was for the following information, but I read somewhere the first two movies will be re-released in theaters just before the new one comes out. you definitely want to see them on the biggest screen you can find. they're fantastic.

no offense, Sput, but "underrated?" the whole world's been going nuts over the film version of the trilogy for at least the past three years.

oh ... and be sure to check out The Two Towers in November, when the extended version is released on DVD. it'll be a four-disc version with an additional 40 minutes of film alone.

3. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

IMO, these are perfect DVD Movies. They have great audio, picture, and are well written. They keep you involved throughout, and actually, seem to be TOO short to me! Love 'em :thumbsup:

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I thought the sound on the DVD of the theatrical release of the first film was painful to listen to due to massive digital limiting/compression. All of the loud passages went to mush. The extended version sounded much better to me (in either DD5.1 or DTS), and I agree that that one is a near perfect DVD release of a "perfect DVD movie".

Regards,

5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Word has it that they same LOTR team is currently working on puting The Hobbit on the big screen. I tried to find a link but did not come up with anything.

Anyone else have info on this?

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Watched the Two Towers on Saturday. All I know is they got ripped with Chicago winning best pic! What an amazing movie. Peter Jackson should get a special Oscar just for bringing those books to life! Is it just me or is Ian McLellan (hope I spelled it right) one of the great actors of our time?

7. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

The Lord of the Rings:Fellowship of the Rings (extended version) is being re-released on December 3rd. The Two Towers (extended version) is be re-released on December 10th. The extended versions are being released in a limited number of theaters (150-200 screens). The Return of the King gets released on December 17th. There will be a number of theaters that you will be able to see all three films back to back on December 16th.
    Peter Jackson's next film will be a re-make of King Kong set during the time frame of the original production.

8. Ken_McAlinden

I think it is just a rumor at this point. Peter Jackson's next project is slated to be a remake of King Kong.

Regards,

9. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I think Christopher Lee is doing a fantastic job as well. He first scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, and saw him in "Dracula"! He is just too good at being EVIL :)

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Their putting a lot of pressure on The Return Of The King to be an Oscar winner after dissing the last 2 excellent movies.

Peter Jackson deserves every award they can muster for bringing these books and characters to life so well.

Its because of movies like these I've been itching to upgrade my 27" TV to a much bigger one. LOTR just doesnt look right on a smaller TV. It needs to seen in Grand Style.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah these movies aren't underrated by any means!

12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah these movies aren't underrated by any means!

Lord Of The Rings will never win a best movie Oscar BTW. Same reason Star Wars never won one. It's not academy friendly.

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Get the Orchs to do a big song and dance number...instant Oscar!!!!!!:D

14. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I agree. I just saw The Two Towers this weekend. I think both movies are fantastic. Hope the third brings home the Oscar gold.

15. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

The Fellowship Of The Ring is a great movie, only minor flaws here and there.

The Two Towers is not so good, IMO. It works extremely well for the first 1,5 hours, but things start to go downhill from there. Haldir and the elves arriving to the Helm's Deep out of the blue to "fight alongside men once more" was lame. As was Aragorn "dying" and coming back to life. And enough with the dwarf tossing jokes. Seems like Gimli is reduced to being a clown in these movies.

Gollum was very well done, IMO. I give The Two Towers four stars whereas The Fellowship Of The Ring gets full five.

16. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

You won't be sorry if you get a new TV. I have a 32" HDTV direct view set and a progressive scan DVD player and the picture on LOTR The Two Towers is simply stunning. The films are great even though they do take some (quite a few, actually) liberties with the story line: For example, Faramir NEVER forces Sam and Frodo to march all the way to Osgiliath in the books. Instead he gives them food and advice (don't trust Gollum) and sends them on their way, knowing the seriousness of their quest. In spite of that, it is film making at its best: he leaves you wanting more.

As for the DVD release, my only regret is that I will have to buy the special edition when it comes out, which means I'm out the $22.00 I spent last Tuesday, oh well! :)

17. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

It looks fantastic on a 65" W/S as well ;)

18. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I never read the book, but I love the first two movies and will be buying the DVD when it comes out in November. After I watch the 3rd movie in December maybe I will pick up the book.

19. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I agree there were too many changes in the Two Towers. They've turned Aragorn into a stud muffin and shortchanged the hobbits as far as character development. And the way they ended the second movie was a travesty.

20. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Drew,

There is a 10-minute "making of" for the "Return of the King" on the "Two Towers" DVD and Jackson promises that Shelob will show up in the beginning. I do agree with you the book ending would have been much better: Can you imagine a full house in the theatre all gasping in unison as the picture ends??? I really was looking forward to that.

quadjoe

21. Ken_McAlinden

They actually ended The Two Towers film before my two favorite scenes from the book occured. One was the reuniting with Merry and Pippen at Orthanc which was very amusing, and the other was the very end with Sam seemingly all alone and Frodo in quite a bind. They have a lot of ground to cover in the third film.

Regards,

22. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Way too many changes. I have a hard time watching the movies because of them, especially Two Towers.

23. Matt

Matt New Member

After passing over Fellowship for A Beautiful Freakin' Mind, the Academy better damn well make amends this time around (assuming the third film is just as good, of course).

24. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam Thread Starter

None taken. This doesn't surprise me. I'm one of those people that can drive the same road everyday and not be able to descibe one house on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.