The Lynyrd Skynyrd Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Winterland 1975

Dave Hoos, reb and warewolf95 like this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

BTW- this is what Ed King says in the interview:

"Well he is on every single one (Ronnie). It would just be a guitar player getting together with him and having an idea for a song or a melody. Generally, those two would write the song (Ronnie and Gary-?). Alabama was an exception because here you had Gary that just had this riff when I walked in. And then of course if it wasn't for that riff I wouldn't have bounced off it with my riff and Ronnie put the lyrics on top off it. But basically after I heard Gary's riff, I just rolled off of it and wrote the rest of it. But you have to give credit where credit is due. If Gary hadn't of started off with that riff the song never would have been written."

John Fell, Emmett66 and warewolf95 like this.
  6. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Reb, but you're trying to say that Ed King wasn't a songwriter, which is what you stated. If HE is the guy getting together with Ronnie he is writing the song. I'm really confused as to the point you're trying to make with Ed King and being 'careful' about calling him a songwriter. This is the guy who wrote Incense and Peppermints and MYKE already pointed out that SNS was a song that originated with him. He was obviously a talented songwriter or his name wouldn't appear on those songs. Are you telling me he was just lucky enough to be in the room when Ronnie and Billy Powell wrote Whiskey Rock-a- Roller? Or lucky enough to be with Ronnie when he wrote Saturday Night Special? Workin' For MCA? Poison Whiskey? All of which Ed King co-wrote.

If that's true, then I guess the same would apply to the other writers in the band like the Rossington/Van Zant credit for What's Your Name...or the Steve Gaines/Van Zant credit for I Know A Little which was a Steve Gaines song he had written prior to Skynyrd. I don't know why you appear to be trying to diminish Ed King's songwriting capabilities when he was a vital part of the band in making those first few records.

warewolf95 and 905 like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Why don't we put is this way? Ed King wrote the music Ronnie wrote the lyrics. Will that make everyone happy?

warewolf95 and Dave Hoos like this.
  8. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

It's always felt to me like they hiccup or something around 3:00 of "Saturday Night Special" as they come out of that massive build before tumbling into the solos. It's almost like they fall down the stairs and land squarely on their feet. I have never even been able to tell if they are actually off-time or just make it seem that way, but whatever it is they're all clued into it. One of my favorite all-time Skynyrd Moments :righton:

GodShifter and warewolf95 like this.
  9. Exile On My Street

Only if it's true. :D

And I'm not sure why you're directing that to me in particular?

I'm just trying to understand where Reb is coming from, not argue over who is wrong or right. As I said in an earlier post, I wasn't there but if a name appears as a co-writer I have no reason to think that person wasn't responsible for co-writing the song. I'm more than willing to be corrected by firm evidence if that's not the case, otherwise I would have to believe Ed did a good bulk of the songwriting on SH and NF.

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I wasn't directing it a you in particular. You just made the last comment about it.

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Out of respect for RRB, I'm bowing out of the thread.

I don't appreciate having theo_O nutso symbol thrown at me.

And having to deal with people that think I have something against Ed King. A man I've posted counted pictures of and idolize.

12. Exile On My Street

Well, sorry John. Someone made a claim and I was just trying to clarify how this person came to that conclusion, just an explanation.

It WILL be my last comment on it.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Can't we just all get along? :help::shrug:

frank3si and warewolf95 like this.
  14. Exile On My Street

That's the "Er, what?" symbol. This is the nutso symbol. :crazy:

And don't worry, I'll bow out. All I asked was for you to support your opinion with fact, which is a reasonable request I felt.

My apologies RRB.

And thanks MYKE for the recommendations.

warewolf95 and Myke like this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

SNS was written after Ed joined Frank, so...

16. Myke

17. Myke

March 3rd, 2014 :

" Also on SIMPLE MAN. THANKS for the nods on the bass parts. FREEBIRD was a first taker w/ two punch ins. I done good. "

18. Myke

RE : Otis Redding's birthday. Sept. 9th, 2013 :

" Otis would've been 72 today. He died in a small plane in the water on his way to a gig in Madison, WI. The main reason I know that is because exactly one week later, in the Winter COLD of December, the Strawberry band was flying in a small plane to Madison. I hadn't known where Otis died until the pilot turned to me and pointed downward. "THIS is the very place Redding's plane went down last week." I may have bitten my lip."

19. Myke

Sept. 4th, 2013 :

" My friend Greg Martin posted the song GOD ONLY KNOWS on Facebook for my benefit. This was my response:
    Back in 68 while on tour, I asked Carl Wilson to show me the inversions to GOD ONLY KNOWS. He came to my room, sat down, sung & played the entire song. I was telling a friend about this the other day & remembered the chords though it took a few min. to get it! It's got to be one of my favorites of all time. I'm glad it all came back from memory."

20. Myke

August 1st, 2013 , on the subject of his site dwellers all meeting up (which they did in Nashville later ) :

" Has anybody ever seen Frasier episode 1, season 6? He hosts a huge party for his fan club...and all 3 members showed up! "

:laugh:

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Gents,

I'm no gort but let's all get along. Nobody needs a lesson in civility here. Reb, Exile, etc...cool down, take a day off and come back. We all share a passion for the tunes. Between this thread and the Allman Brothers thread,this is the most fun I've ever had at this forum.

22. Myke

July 16th, 2013, RE : Joining forces with Liberty DeVito, Jeff Carlisi, Jeff Adams, and Damon Johnson :

" This is my current bar band. Played a private party in St Louis Sat. night.
    We play hits from the bands we've played with...Skynyrd, 38 Special, Billy Joel, Thin Lizzy, Starship and, believe it or not, Alice Cooper. Great stuff. I think I'm BACK."

23. Myke

The infamous Cow Palace/Keith Moon gig :

" To my recollection, the first song he played w/ them was Baba O Riley. And that required he wear headphones. They'd hauled Moon off by then. I remember it like it was yesterday...where I was standing, etc...when Pete asked "is there a drummer in the house?" I was talking to people with me just behind & to the side of the stage. Knowing Moon had just been carried off (right past me!), I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Baba being played perfectly. And I know every intricacy of that tune."

24. Myke

And June 18th, 2013, when yours truly tried to brag on the quality of the latest 200 gram vinyl of Pronounced, and Second Helping :

" Rather than remaster, they should be remixed from the multitracks. "

:shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.