The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir 5 LP/CD Box Set Out in March

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vince Gill

Vince Gill Forum Resident

saw this presented in Brooklyn back in December and it was fabulous. Haven't liked much MF since 69 Love Songs but this one was special.

2. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

They seem to have gotten enough complaints so they've fixed this link. Sorry to clog up the thread with my problem. Downloading now!

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. wowiezowie

wowiezowie Forum Resident

I got halfway through 'Lovers' Lies' and it hit me like a tonne of bricks, this album is a masterpiece! Highlights for me so far are, 'I think I'll Make Another World', 'Foxx and I', 'Eurodisco Trio' and the sublime 'Fathers in the Clouds'

Stone Turntable and Neonbeam like this.
  4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'm happy to say that even though I haven't listened to it all the way through, I've played the front half (sides 1-5) a few times, and it is much better than I thought after hearing those preview songs, all of which are actually good in the context of the album.

Favourite so far is probably Life Ain't All Bad, and least favourite is the ultra-irritating Blizzard of '78.

There're some nicely sentimental things in there that I don't remember much of on a MF album since 'i' but make a welcome appearance to balance out the angst and sarcasm.

5. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

I have to agree that this album is a bit of a masterpiece. Lps 1, 4 & 5 are nearly perfect, and 2 & 3 are still great as well. Definitely my favorite thing he's done since 69 Love Songs, which is pretty much peerless in my book. I love Distortion and I, but the last couple have been pretty hit and miss, where it seemed like the songs were focusing more on the punch line than the actual song itself. I feel the balance and consistency is back in spades this time around and the song writing quality has been elevated to near 69LS level. Bring on 75 Songs of Death next!

And the vinyl pressing is wonderful as well, nice black shiny virgin looking vinyl, pressed on center and no non fill, great sounding all around. Can't wait to see this show next month!

PhantomStranger and dirtymac like this.
  6. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Really want this but think I will have to go cd as it is £30 as opposed to the £100 vinyl which is too dear.

7. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

BeardedSteven likes this.
  8. BeardedSteven

I never say this, but I wish I had gotten the CD set instead. Very underwhelming packaging on this set. Compared to the 69 Love Songs 6 x 10" set it's just very basic. It's nice to have it split up into smaller portions (and I get why they did 5 LPs) but it really could have been a 3LP set for a much lower cost... Love the songs though! I still rate it a 49/50.

9. BeardedSteven

10. gohill

gohill Senior Member

You have sold me on the CD. Even though i am a vinyl guy all my Magnetic Fields (and solo offshoots) are on CD. If i started buying them on vinyl now, knowing myself all to well, i would get that annoying compulsion to begin going back and replacing my old cd's with vinyl and that opens another can of worms.

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... now that you have said that for the second time I have to admit that I secretly thought the same when I first opened it. Printed inners would have been a nice touch. Maybe a book that doesn't make Penguin Classics look kingsize. It's a great album but the set does look a bit barebones. But then again I got it for a ridiculous pre-order price (81€, which equals 16€ per disc).

In today's vinyl climate there's also the question if they are going to keep this in print. I've totally got no idea. Maybe they will rerelease it as triple set. I normally don't buy cds so for me that was never an option. If I did buy cds I'd get this on cd.

12. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

My wife just got this (we both like the MFs but that's her band) and we've been listening over the last week or so ... I like just about everything I've heard and dig the sound of the music overall ... nice job Steven et al

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. BeardedSteven

I am going to have to stop going on about it so I don't end up being a threadcrapper. ;) But that is a pretty good price. I paid $108 at my local, which I thought was pretty good! Until I opened it. :) I fully like to support artists that I love. I love buying records. I go to a lot of concerts. Seeing this set this weekend at a festival! But I do feel like I got taken with this one. A 3LP set at 1/2 the price (or less!) and I'd be loving it as much as the music. That's it. I'm done! :)

To counter, I will add my fave songs are Hustle 76, How To Play The Synthesizer, Danceteria, and Weird Diseases. I guess I really like the synth dance-y side of Mr Merritt. I can't wait to hear them live.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. PretzelLogic

If you coax anything other than a supremely sour response from the man himself (based upon literally every single encounter* I've heard first hand), I will be delighted for you. Good luck!

*with Stephin- I'm sure you're very nice.

Lars1966 likes this.
  15. BeardedSteven

No no. It's a contest to win a life sized cardboard stand up Stephin Merrit. You have to take a selfie with the cardboard Stephin to win it(plus a copy of the vinyl set). Because what I really need in my life is a life sized Stephin Merrit in my living room. :crazy:

ralphb likes this.
  16. frozen-beach

I thought it was a little ridiculous at first, but after seeing this pic, it might end up being comedy gold owning the cardboard cutout
    [​IMG]

17. PretzelLogic

Oh! That is magnificent. Good luck!

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Thanks to Discogs you can also buy the original "Hustle 76" very cheap. Unsellable until now I bet at least one person already got it.

19. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

:laugh:
    You can never have enough bears in your living room.:)

rob68 and BeardedSteven like this.
  20. wowiezowie

wowiezowie Forum Resident

Anyone else noticed the low rumbling sound during Fathers In The Clouds? It's at 0:19 and 0:22. I thought it was the wind blowing outside at first. I have the CD version so would be interested to hear if it appears on the vinyl and/or the FLAC versions. I'm surprised this wasn't picked up at the mastering stage, talking of mastering, does anyone know the DR values? 'Foxx And I' sounds compressed to **** to my ears. It's STILL a masterpiece though!

21. frozen-beach

There's definitely something there. When I first heard it, I thought someone was pounding on my front door. And I think it's worth noting that all sorts of of different recording formats were used on this album, so some of them aren't exactly of high quality. The beginning and end of At The Pyramid is sourced from an old cassette recording, and I have no idea what Stephin used on The Day I Finally....
    Almost sounds like some type of handheld recorder used for recording memos.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. BeardedSteven

I saw them live over the weekend so I thought I would add a few more thoughts. Spent more time with the set before and during my drive down to see them and I'm mostly still loving the songs. It really worked well as a 2 night concert. You do get all 50 songs in order, 25 each night, with nothing from the other albums. But it's basically advertised as such. I know I've said it before, but The Day I Finally... is my least favorite song of the bunch and it really was worse live than on record. Making it worse is that it's song 26 so it opens the second night. Awkwardly... One of my faves is Danceteria, and for some reason this one didn't translate well in a live setting. The other synthy dancey songs worked so I'm not sure why this one didn't. Maybe just me. Everything else was pretty fantastic. His inter song remarks were actually nice to add some context for some of the songs. I would definitely try to see them if you can.

The stage is set up with what looks like walls of a room with Stephin front and center, and the other players off to the side and behind this wall. It's very much him in the spotlight. Someone commented to me that it was too self indulgent for him and off putting. But the whole idea of 50 songs from each year of his life is a bit self indulgent as a concept? I didn't mind it and I think it worked for the 50 song set like this.

I know I have also said before I wish it had ended on a stronger song. And Somebody's Fetish is a fine song in and of itself. In the humorous witty category. But it does end the set on an awkward note. Especially live. And after having spent more time with the songs, the one right before it, '49 I Wish I Had Pictures, is an absolutely lovely song. It might end up being my favorite from the whole set. There's no snarkiness or trying to be funny. It's just a great song. It's about reminiscing and looking at the past, basically the whole basis of something called 50 Song Memoir, perfect as an endcap to the set. Maybe it was age 50 where he felt the need to be reminded that everyone is somebody's fetish? That's kind of fine. But I would have put I Wish I Had Pictures as the last song. I obviously know better than the artist how to tracklist an album! :laugh:

At the merch table they were selling the CDs for $30, but you could buy the book from the LP set for $40 with a download. I know it's bigger than the book in the CD box but I thought that was not a very good deal! That's all I'll say about that.

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

Did they have tshirts? I was hoping for one with the cover. And when you say they rest of the band is behind the wall, are we talking Pink Floyd where you can't see them behind the wall, or just behind Stephin and off to the side?

And I agree about The Day I Finally, my least favorite song, but thought it would actually be a good way to start night two with a chuckle and get it out of the way! The rest of that second night should be amazing though, so many good songs.

24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Anyone know the mastering info for the vinyl?

25. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The men's room at the Brattle Theater in Harvard Square is covered in movie posters, including a poster for the Magnetic Fields documentary that is deliberately placed where, if you're standing at the urinal, it looks like Stephin is watching you pee. You could do many similar things with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.