The Magnificent Seven remake*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't expect it to be cool, been there.
    I'f it entertains, that'll be just fine.

melstapler and eddiel like this.
  2. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I'm all for more Westerns as I enjoy the genre, and it's rare for new ones to come out nowadays, but remaking a remake is creatively lazy even for Hollywood.

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

But this one's gonna have ten times the explosions! That makes for a better film, doesn't it? And hell, I don't remember any explosions at all in Seven Samurai. Plus that's an old black and white movie. LOL no thanks!

I kid but there are people out there who go to movies because of the hip hop music and explosions, sad to say.

Vidiot and FEELINGALRIGHT like this.
  4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Last new western movie that I enjoyed was True Grit.

melstapler and Luke The Drifter like this.
  5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Nuff said!

6. The opening scene and the next few (where Yul "recruits" the 7) are such absolute classics that the Original will always hold a special place in my memory that can never be destroyed by a crappy remake.

Damaged? Certainly, but not destroyed....

7. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Bout time we saw another one.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

No love for this?
    I thought it was superb.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

This new "Magnificent Seven" remake makes my blood boil and I love westerns. Instead of re-writing a classic film, why not release something entirely new and fresh? They should've at least asked Robert Vaughn to make a cameo appearance in the film as a town preacher or mail clerk or something. This lack of respect for living classic actors is typical of these bland revisionist re-makes from modern Hollywood which will either a) reduce or b) promote viewership of the original.

Here is a comparison of the new and old films:

Chris Pratt’s ‘Magnificent Seven’ remake: What’s new, what’s the same »

[​IMG]
    Legendary actor/man of class Robert Vaughn

dlemaudit, John B Good and alexpop like this.
  10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Not only that, but six shooters that never need to be reloaded. And in place of James Coburn's knife skills, we have a "knife guy" who has much BIGGER knives. Wow! (bigger type to boot to describe the bigger knives!).

Sorry, but I'll wager that James Coburn's character is the better man, as shown in the following clip:

I've already noticed an early reviewer describing the movie as the "not so magnificent seven," so this movie is again par for the course for Hollywood -- another labored 142 strokes -- on the the back nine!:doh:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    alexpop and melstapler like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nothing "Magnificent " about the new film title.
    Just plain ole seven in my opinion.

melstapler likes this.
  12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Without the sub-titles :)

keef00 likes this.
  13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I thought that was Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys owner.

melstapler likes this.
  14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

There were three pale sequels to the original 1960 film made in the 1960s and early '70s, a bad sci-fi film adaptation in the early '80s [which starred Robert Vaughan], 'The Three Amigos' which arguably could be described as a comedy satire of 'The Magnificent Seven', and a not terribly good syndicated tv series in the late '90s or early 2000s. So, if sequels and remakes could damage or destroy fond memories of the "original" [which, as has been stated previously, was itself was an adaptation or remake] the 196o film should have been a tattered, charred ruin long before this latest remake was even proposed.

Hollywood has been making sequels and remakes since the earliest of the silent era. It's not a modern practice. I'm not certain of the rationale for the criticism that present day Hollywood has a lack of imagination in the production of sequels, remakes and adaptations of previous works, "not like the good old days" - which is especially ironic in this example. And without remakes we would never have Bogart's 'The Maltese Falcon' or Judy Garland's 'The Wizard of Oz' or for that matter the 1960 M7.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Are you referring to Battle Beyond the Stars ?

17. Fregly

Fregly Well-Known Member

Kim Kardashian as Scarlett, in "her stunning debut!"

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I had to look it up, since I had forgotten. Yeah ... 'Battle Beyond The Stars'. I haven't seen it in a long time. My memory is that the deficiencies due to the low budget was the reason I didn't like it that much.

Here's the opening paragraph in the Wiki entry:

Battle Beyond the Stars is an American 1980 science fictionadventure film directed by Jimmy T. Murakami and produced by Roger Corman. The film, intended as a "Magnificent Seven in outer space",[3] is based on The Magnificent Seven (in which Robert Vaughn also appeared), the Western remake of Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samurai.[4][5][6] The screenplay was written by John Sayles, the score was composed by James Horner, and the special effects were designed by James Cameron.

Battle Beyond the Stars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

An article in today's L.A. Times says "don't call it a remake . . . "

Alrighty then, I'll call it what it is: A re-remake.

melstapler likes this.
  20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Stunning? Or stunned? She always looks to me as if she's just been tapped on the head with a bungstarter.

Tuco and melstapler like this.
  21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Re-do!

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Hard to make a remake of a Yul Brynner movie. Anna & The King was just alright. This M7 remake already has 'stench' to it. I have high hopes for HBO's remake of Westworld but.....

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The current Criterion Blu-Ray is the best.

jwoverho and alexpop like this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Is it me, or is it less impressive to defend a village with guns than with swords?

I understand it is guns against guns Vs. swords against swords, but still.

25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The guy with the bow looks like he's modelling for his action doll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.