The Magnificent Seven remake*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

I think I'll wait for the studios to remake "Ben-Hur".....oh, they already did.....well, I'll wait for the NEXT remake :)

Can"The Bridge on the River Kwai" reboot be far behind??

2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Because people will go see the original and his remake will suffer in comparison.

3. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

I think that Seven Samuri is brilliant but I also think that it stands up quite well transposed as a western.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I think the point was that the bad guy was really bad. He sent in his men to kill people one on one, concentrating on killing the seven. After that, he fired on his own men with the Gatling Gun, not giving a damn if he killed women, children, horses - indiscriminate slaughter. It was discriminate slaughter before.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Very entertaining movie! :thumbsup:

6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'll probably give this movie a shot: But I'll wait for it to come out on DVD (I'm not much for the "theater experience)...

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a terrific 3-minute video on the visual effects used in Magnificent Seven:

A lot of these effects are of the "invisible" variety, just putting in mountains and trees and skies that were never there. The movie was mostly shot in Louisiana (for tax purposes), but it all takes place in the mountainous part of Texas. I think most of it looks really good.

budwhite likes this.
  8. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

3:10 to Yuma was a remake of the 1957 movie of the same title starring Glenn Ford & Van Heflin.

9. wayneklein

I'm a little confused because my post wasn't about remakes or original westerns but, instead, was about the last western release that was popular at the time my post was written.

10. wayneklein

Indeed. I didn't notice most of the substitutions so they did a pretty good job. This is, largely in my opinion, what CGI should be about except where you have to create an environment that doesn't exist. If you can do it without CGI you should.

googlymoogly and Vidiot like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, that should always be the goal. I'm often baffled by directors who choose to add in stuff that could've easily been shot in real-life. I worked on a show where the director added rugs to the floor, new windows, and paintings on the wall for some scenes, and I'm going, "man, why not just do this for real?" Once they find out they can change everything, they often do just that... assuming the time and money are there.

wayneklein likes this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I was very surprised when I read that CGI was used in HBO's Deadwood.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

TONS of VFX were used. The show was (mostly) shot at Melody Ranch, about 20 miles north of LA, and they removed jet con-trails and stuff like that, and also painted in more buildings and/or mountains in the background. There's a lot of effects work you have to do in order to make the modern world look like the 1870s. Westworld and Django Unchained were shot in the exact same place; I laughed out loud at some of the bar shots, because I know that room pretty well.

googlymoogly and BGLeduc like this.
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Most violent pg13 i've seen. It had it's moments but it was to modern to work for me. Sure it had a western setting but that was about it.

Scenery was pretty but the mountains outside the village looked unatural.
    And the colors was all wrong, I've never seen a sky like that

15. I thought the bar looked like Mariposa!

I bought the BlueRay for my wife for Christmas. We had seen it in the theater and found it enjoyable enough.

I have to say that over the home theater rig, the sound mix was quite good. If one has a capable system, the dynamite explosions at the beginning were startling, even if you knew they were coming. I had recently re-calibrated the system, and my subs were running on the hot side, plus I had forgotten about the opening. My wife and I both jumped at the 1st explosion.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I feel meh even about buying the bd.

17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

This was a really bad movie. I saw it at the discount theater and still felt ripped off. Vincent D'Onoffrio and Peter Skaarsgard were good though.

18. alexpop

Stick with the original or the Steve McQueen version methinks.

19. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the original but I enjoyed the remake more than I thought I would.

20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Liked the remake. Good 2016 action movie. Hopefully will turn younger people onto the original!

21. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

For me, it was a waste of time. I knew it was going to be a problem right off the bat, when they chose to put the attractive young woman in a dress with a low-cut top. Jeez, really?!? Farmer's wives dressed like that in the Old West??? Really? After that, very little character development, shallow motivations, and mass killing. As I mentioned in another thread, I sat through it only because some friends had loaned me the disc, and I felt obligated.

budwhite and beccabear67 like this.
  22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I would never see this, though a close friend has, because I thought the original was silly. I loved Seven Samurai the real original original. The Magnificent Seven was full of ridiculous stuff really with Yul Bryner's cheroot getting lighted by a sniper bullet and the whole silly (though admirably anti-racist) taking of that coffin to the graveyard on a whim situation. Give me Sam Peckinpah any day over either version of this movie. I do not want anyone remaking The Ballad Of Cable Hogue. :mad:

Tuco likes this.
  23. alexpop

Did it make money at the box office?

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Never noticed before but right after Steve McQueen did The Magnificent Seven he went right to TV to do Wanted, dead or alive. Took him right out of the movies for 3 years. Actors didn't do that much back then did they?

alexpop likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Waiting for the Lego version.

smilin ed and IronWaffle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.