The Magnificent Seven remake*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Now in the process of watching it, and I think it's one of the worst-edited films I've ever seen. They violated the "180° Rule" so many times, I have whiplash. (This is the rule that says if the actors are moving right to left, and camera is panning left, don't suddenly put the camera on the other side of the room or the location and shoot the actors moving left to right.) I was astonished by how often this happened, particularly in the action sequences. Really incompetent filmmaking.

I don't have a problem with the acting or the casting or the story for the most part. The look of the film is odd, very yellow/brown (and very cyan skies), one of the most orange/teal movies I've seen in a long time. That was an unusual creative choice.

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

You have a situation of people influenced mainly by a copy of something which makes them a copy of a copy, or generally people with too limited of an exposure to wider things that some of the greats of the past whom they want to emulate have had. Great films are made by people who did more than watch past movies and dream of seeing their name on some new shinier regurgitation of something. Take something that didn't work and make it work. If you take a hit song and rerecord it pretty much like the original and have a hit with it you are whatever Michael Bolton was to Otis Redding, a footnote at best, or a footnote to a footnote at worst.

Seven Samurai = studied cinema classic
    The Dirty Dozen = unique uncompromising vision
    Magnificent Seven = formulaic Hollywood blockbuster footnote
    remake of above = a footnote to a footnote

Vidiot and budwhite like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I noticed that too. Looked really bad for a western

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got the blu ray.
    Disappointed,
    Nothing much in it that excited me.
    Looks the production budget went on the cast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.