The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever: The Allan Holdsworth Album Collection box set coming in April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. John Fell

Are there any other Allan Holdsworth fans on the forum?

3. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I definitely am, I have most of his individual CDs and some LPs as well.

4. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I like his mid eighties albums. I have a promo white label LP of Metal Fatigue. I.O.U., Road Games, Atavachron and Sand are great listens too.

recklessczar likes this.
  5. John Fell

His more recent albums Sixteen Men Of Tain and the live Blues For Tony are really good.

I also enjoy his work on Chad Wackerman's solo albums as well as they are almost like solo albums by Allan.

BwanaBob and recklessczar like this.
  6. Meatface

Meatface Forum Resident

Love the man!
    There should be courses taught by unraveling his phrasing over (very advanced) chord changes, It's so easy to be in awe of how he plays, instead of what he is playing. That's where the scary talent lies, for me.
    That said, I hate guitar synthesizers! Can't listen to them.

sunking101, texron and showtaper like this.
  7. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

As far as the collection, I'd love to see a three disc set - two career spanning CDs featuring music from Holdsworth's solo albums and a third disc comprised of his work with other bands/musicians - Gong, Tony Williams Lifetime, Bill Bruford, etc.

8. John Fell

That would be cool but I am guessing that it will be a best of the solo albums. Manifesto took this approach with the Lee Michaels albums set. They also released a a single disc compilation of the box set material.

9. moops

moops Senior Member

More EVH fans should be, but they just don't know it yet. :winkgrin:
    If you take a listen to EVH's playing on Fair Warning, Holdsworth is all through those liquid-like tapping runs Eddie is going for.

10. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

Another fan here! Saw a lot of shows thru the years. Loved the shows with Chad on drums.

11. John Fell

Chad is great. His work with Frank Zappa was also excellent.

12. Cool. I also love his work with Bill Brufford.

Drumaniac - R, Comet01 and John Fell like this.
  13. John Fell

His work on Jean-Luc Ponty's Enigmatic Ocean is also worth searching out as is his work with Lifetime and Soft Machine.

Xabby, TGH7, Comet01 and 4 others like this.
  14. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Wow. That's one of those makes-me-want-to-give-up clips.

hi_watt, Crimson jon and moops like this.
  15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Me too. He's such a unique player.

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Huge Allan fan. The first time I saw Holdsworth at the "Bottom Line" still ranks as the best live, non-classical, music performance I've ever attended. The whole band was on-fire that night.

This release for me however is not one for which I will get my hopes up. Reason being is with the lone exception of 2001's Gnarly Geezers labels superb mastering of "Road Games", all of Holdsworth's CD releases from the last 2o years have been drastically and sometimes violently Dynamically Compromised. Virtually zero ebb and flow, it's all the same loud volume all the time. As a result I have not been able to enjoy any of his material after Wardenclyffe Tower. I will wait for samples before I will even consider purchasing this upcoming release.

BTW: Allan's Road Games is one of my favorite all-time albums, not to mention Sand, Atavacron, Metal Fatigue and IOU for me also fall into the masterwork category.

For those who are not familiar with Holdsworth that are reading this thread it may be of interest to note that Jack Bruce is the vocalist on 2 excellent tracks on Road Games. Both the original Gnarly Geezer and the later easier to find Globe Music re-issue contain the same excellent mastering.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    eelkiller and Jvalvano like this.
  17. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Another huge Allan fan here. I have a massive Allan collection. Not sure what could be in this set that I wouldn't already have. I agree with what ricks says above. I've seen Allan several times in a small venue in Boston, always an amazing performance. Fred, is one of those songs that I think everyone should hear at least once in this lifetime.

18. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

I saw him in concert on the Enigmatic Ocean tour in the 70's. What an Outstanding concert. Another great guitarist was playing in this concert that night. Can't remember his name right now. I also believe Alan is on the Jean-Luc Ponty Imaginary Voyage LP.

John Fell likes this.
  19. John Fell

This was just added to the description.

12 CD box set featuring bonus tracks on the albums and everything newly remastered, includes 40 page booklet.

In addition, the compilation with be 1 cd.

FVDnz and eelkiller like this.
  20. John Fell

Bump. More information. See above post.

21. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Very interesting, love Allan's work...thanks John.

John Fell likes this.
  22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Allan's a great player, very cerebral yet emotional too.

23. Django

Django Forum Resident

Mind blowing player.

24. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

I highly doubt this is legit or at least, has Allan's blessing. Look at what happened with the Vault project.

25. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Will be curious to see what ends up on this. Like his work a lot except for the synth axe stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.