The Mars Volta 18 LP Boxset 'La realidad de los sueños' coming april 23rd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pulverisateur32, Mar 4, 2021.

1. pulverisateur32

pulverisateur32 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Just snagged this. Pretty expensive but definitely worth it. Suspect they will release single reissues after the hype of the boxset dies down.

3. pulverisateur32

pulverisateur32 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Yeah they eventually sell those albums separate. The package is nice and the extra vinyl with summer sessions is cool imo.

Sean and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  4. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I bought one of their albums when they 1st broke, played it once and filed it...Seemed progressive rock lacking virtuosity and the vibe to me wasn't anything new or special......Kind of surprised they have this much music out....That's not to thread crap, because with all this work there's probably stuff among it I'd like.

5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Surprised at that reaction to them. Id definitely put them more into the unique category of music of the past 20 years. The first time i heard Amputecture, i freaked.

6. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Surprised there isn’t more excitement over this. It’s been impossible to get these on vinyl.

I’m pumped!

7. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Oh man, I’ve been waiting for MV vinyl reissues like forever, can’t afford 400€ for a box atm though, my wife would kill me.
    Really, really hope they gonna release them separtely later on - I’d snag them all eventually, just one by one.

This box looks beautiful, I have to admit.

Ron Jones likes this.
  8. Swordsandchains

Oh this is excitinf and a great deal for everything. But its also a massive blow to the bank account at $500+ after taxes and shipping. I can buy a lot of other music for that price. So i need to assess everything and see if i really need it or not. Also with 5000 copies at $500 each i think ill have some time to wait and not have to jump on it

9. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

I’ve heard of this band for some time but never have really sat down and listened to them. Any recommendations where to start? I usually try to go from first album to latest but if there is one album above rest, maybe I should start there?

10. Swordsandchains

And its sold out in us shop....

Neonbeam likes this.
  11. Swordsandchains

Youll get a few different answer, my personal favorite is Amputecture but cant really go wrong with the first 3 albums

12. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

You can't go wrong starting with the first one and then getting to the second one, as those are their masterpieces and one of the best albums of last 20 years. I love all their albums, but those 2 first are simply stunning.

Kevin Howard likes this.
  13. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

The first 10 minutes of Frances The Mute has so much virtuosity the grooves can barely contain it all.

VQR, AZRunner, scarfaceclaw and 5 others like this.
  14. CHIP72

CHIP72 Forum Resident

Slightly OT: For a number of years now I've considered the At The Drive-In split into The Mars Volta and Sparta the post-hardcore equivalent of the Uncle Tupelo split into Wilco and Son Volt with alternative country rock. The Mars Volta and Wilco are sort of analogous to one another (became more stylistically diverse relative to their parent band) and Sparta and Son Volt also somewhat analogous to one another (largely moved along a similar path as their parent band).

FWIW, I've never listened to The Mars Volta but I do like a few songs by Sparta.

BDC likes this.
  15. Ron Jones

makes me excited about sound. Here is article from Spin

The Mars Volta Reveal Career-Spanning Vinyl Box Set, Unload on Universal in New Interview

They literally are not using the master that came from me, the one used for the original analog pressing,” Rodríguez-Lopéz said. “They have the digital master, from which they made the CD and the digital releases. But you have to then make a completely different master to cut the lacquers. So their attitude was basically, ‘Eh, good enough,’ but it wasn’t how it was supposed to sound.”

In addition to the band’s issues with the quality of the existing vinyl releases from Universal, the experimental post-hardcore legends told Chick that they’re also pretty sold on them being outright illegal.

“What Universal did was illegal, and a blatant and egregious breach of contract. If power structures were in any way held accountable, they would have had to pay us damages because they went into multiple pressings of the first four records and then kept pressing Bedlam in Goliath after the first cease-and-desist, so we had to get really aggressive about it. I told our lawyers ‘I want to sue them because they’re in breach of contract,’ and the advice was,

16. Swordsandchains

so tempted to order from the UK shop but hard to justify the $555 price

Ron Jones likes this.
  17. Ron Jones

Agreed about price. It’s crazy to have to come up with it all at once. I’m just desperate so I did the 4 pay PayPal plan.

I-OD and Swordsandchains like this.
  18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Don't know about the vinyl versions and haven't listened to The Mars Volta (or anyting else) for a long time, but the CDs were The Kingdom of loudness. Great music, though.

For those that bought them: I hope the new LPs sound great.

El Nuevo Rich-o likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

My initial reaction as well but when I read that Chris von Rautenkranz was involved and that apparently there are analogue masters - ok and after the first copies showed up on Ebay (which sucks BIG time btw :buttkick:) - I had to order one.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  20. Swordsandchains

i have been using that option for all big purchases haha

21. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Ugh, vinyl only. Why no CD or at least download option for those of us who don't care about (and can't do anything with) vinyl?

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

And Bandcamp is now sold out. Foking 'ell! Talking about moving units quickly, eh? :bdance:

23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It's almost $500. I like Mars Volta but I don't like them that much. I'd be a lot more excited if I could buy the albums a la carte.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  24. Swordsandchains

in the article someone posted above, apparently Universal has the rights to everything but vinyl and Universal apparently has broken that term, so thats why they have released this giant set with correct masters and artwork and no cd, because they done have those rights.

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Same here. On top of that, even if I were willing to shell of the $500, it's now basically sold out in the US, so I'd have to worry about potential shipping damage, etc. if I ordered from overseas. Plus, while the design of the set is cool, where the hell would I store that thing? In any case, +1 for individual releases.