The Martian

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Boy, I've had that novel on my Amazon wish list. I did not know about the movie. Thanks for the heads-up.

3. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I'm sold. Ridley is hit or miss lately with more misses but this looks good. Like Interstellar without the messy M Night Shamalama Ding Dong ending. Heard the book is great.

lbangs, CBC, Deuce66 and 1 other person like this.
  4. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

My other half has read it and says it's good. I have it on my Kindle.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  5. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I hope they manage to keep the humor that was so prevalent in the book.

6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Me like-y!

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was not planning to see this, but the trailer looks terrific and it's really good story idea.

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Actually reading this book right now - good read so far.

9. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

It will not disappoint.

Gaslight likes this.
  10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

They could do a double feature with 'Robinson Crusoe on Mars!"

GuildX700, captainsolo, Walt and 3 others like this.
  11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Well our great mate Damon isn't involved so could well be a great movie.:D

Solaris likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Been reading GoT on the side - it's literally like reading War and Peace five times over. This book is a pleasant diversion - blew through 1/4 of it in one evening and could easily finish it off today if I set some extra time aside. It's nice to finish a book in a few days time. :)

ssmith3046 likes this.
  13. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I just started reading The Martian a week ago (I'm a slow reader - I call it "savoring the page") and the humor is really what keeps this moving along without bogging down. Those who haven't checked it out, be aware that it's written in the form of a journal, so it's more confessional than flowery/descriptive. Weir writes with a lot of authority and detail about how this fictional Mars camp works, and that's pretty fascinating, but there's little to really describe his environment. I was surprised to see how the hab looked in the trailer. Not at ALL what I was expecting (MUCH bigger than I'd pictured) but that's what's fun about it. The movie looks like it's really going to work. Can't wait for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping the swearing is curtailed a bit so I can take at least my older daughter (9).

14. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Same here. I am definitely interested.

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I read the book twice. Matt's a little old IMO to play the lead character but since it's Ridley Scott I'll see the movie.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Looks like the trailer has generated substantial buzz and which may have prompted the movie to be released up a notch on its initial release date schedule. It was scheduled for release on Thanksgiving (Nov 25th), but is now slated for Friday, October 2nd.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hmm, Jessica Chastain and Matt Damon. Looks like an "Interstellar" reunion. Bwahahhahah!!

Clipper Sylvania and alexpop like this.
  18. Macman

Macman Senior Member

The book was just OK IMO but kept me reading. The trailer looks good. I suspect this might be one of those rare films that might actually be better than the book.

19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah that's artistic license from Hollywood there and it's a not an unreasonable ploy by them as it gives larger sets to move around in and create more drama/explosions/atmosphere (or lack of ha). In reality the habits and craft would be tiny as you still have to get the stuff up there by rocket which limits you in size and weight. In reality Mars habitats would be tiny and probably like living in a Type VII U-Boat from WW2.

I always laugh when I see 'near future' NASA spacecraft in TV or movies with huge empty cargo/hanger areas and masses of corridors...so much wasted interior, just wouldn't happen. But it makes for great visuals.

20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Is Matt Damon getting typecast?

MARTIAN:
    [​IMG]

INTERSTELLAR:
    [​IMG]

Harry

21. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Fantastic book. If you're into audio books the narrator makes this a Fantastic listen. If Ridley keeps the humor, (and based on the trailer's "I'm gonna science the **** out of this" dialogue, I have no doubt it will,) it should be a fantastic movie. What a debut book. Can't wait for this movie...

ssmith3046 likes this.
  22. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

23. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

As I was reading the book earlier this year, and couldn't put it down (read it in two days!) I thought
    this would make a great movie. Then I happened to see on line (before I finished it) that it was Scott's
    next film. Checked out the cast on IMDB, and for the last 4th of the book I was able to visualize who
    each character looked like. Made it even better (especially Kristin Wigg as the press secretary....perfect
    casting).
    I'm really looking forward to this.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  24. Looks cool. Too much revealed in the Traile thiugh for those who didn't read the book.

vegafleet likes this.
  25. I think that trailer would save 10 dollars for a lot of people. heh
    Looks good, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.