The Martian

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbyhol

bobbyhol Forum Resident

The Martian isn't in Imax ( at least not in North America). Robert Zemeckis has Imax committed for The Walk and then it's Crimson Peak.

2. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

I'm dying to see this and apparently Prometheus 2 is in the works. I usually wait for the DVD maybe I'll need to go to the cinema for this one

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just bought my ticket online for Thursday preview. The primo seat!

4. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

This looks promising!

5. stuguy

stuguy Forum Resident

This movie looks interesting. They certainly put a lot of plot in the promotional trailer!

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I will probably check this one out.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Just watched Everest in IMAX and this will be next.

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

My wife and I are going to see it this weekend for our anniversary, after a nice steak dinner, of course!

Trapper J likes this.
  9. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

That's so weird, because whatever trailer I previously saw made me want to see it. But after watching this one in less interested now.

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I hardly go to movies, usually wait for the Blu-ray, but I'll make an exception for this one. Matt Damon is a little too old to play the character but it does look good.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

2:04 hours and counting

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

One hour to blast off.

14. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Saw this tonight - one of the best flicks I've seen in a long time. Highly recommended. Just a fun time at the theater.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Are there post credits scenes? Thanks! :)

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

There is a during-credit montage showing follow ups on the lives of the characters.

I felt it was very so-so. I was expecting "Castaway" on Mars, but got a traditionally structured Hollywood disaster/rescue film. Ridley Scott slept walked through this one -- visually and directorially. It feels like he put zero creativity into directing it. No where near the originality or quality of "Gravity." Way too much time crossing cutting to an array of stock disaster film characters attempt his resuce and not enough time spent with Damon on Mars. I wanted to feel Damon's struggle to survive on Mars, but the film never transported me there or fired my imagination. It's only a few step away in credibility from that awful Michael Bay asteroid movie. Zemeckis' "A Walk" is so much better of a film, if you have to make a choice this weekend.

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Thanks!

I think I have no choice for the weekend...it depends on the weather too. I wanted to see "Roger Waters' The Wall" these last days but reaching the nearest theater that was screening it would require a 2h drive. Not only, part of the road is in poor conditions and we're having really bad weather these days, so I didn't risk.

My local multi (15minutes from my home) has not the Zemeckis film you mentioned (italian release date: 10/22/2015); the choice is between "The Martian", "Minions", "Everest", "The green Inferno" and "Fathers and daughters"...regardless, I like science fiction on the big screen and I'm a massive fan of Scott's work, so I'll watch it anyway :)

18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It seems to have some of the movie Red Planet sprinkled in it from 2000, and then just a dash of the great classic Robinson Crusoe on Mars added in................ from the previews I've seen so far.

Looks like it might be a good one time watch though no matter.

I'll buy the blu ray when it hits under $12. Should not take that long.

19. If Chadbang is not wild about it then I will likely love it. He is my current stand-in for Gene Siskel, another movie lover with tastes so different than mine that I could almost always count on enjoying the movies he gave a thumbs down. Thanks for the review Chadbang, it is appreciated (seriously).

RubenH, Hawklord, Monosterio and 2 others like this.
  20. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Interstellar was awesome. Must of went right over your head:help:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  21. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

"Gravity" bored me to tears. I couldn't even use my imagination watching this one to make it better or believable.

Seen the preview of "A Walk". Cannot believe they made a movie about walking across a wire. Why would someone want to walk a wire in the first place? Is there a death wish involved or are they longing to be somebody in the news? "Hey look at me, I'm 75 stories up, no hands"!

RubenH likes this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Why do people do stunts on skateboards?
    Why do people rock climb?
    Why do race car drivers speed at 200+ MPH around an oval?
    And why do people watch them?

Hawklord and bopdd like this.
  23. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

When I look at Jeff Daniels I only see the Dumb And Dumber guy.

24. I only see his obnoxious anchorman character.:D

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

If you haven't read the book then you should. It's a fantastic read and the focus is mainly on "the Martian".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.