The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson film in 70mm)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

2. shane

shane Active Member

Can't wait! Love all PT Anderson's work. Looks like Joaquin Phoenix looks like he delivers quite a performance.

3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

This was pretty vague so I had to seek out more info about the film.

So is this basically "about" L. Ron Hubbard and the founding of Scientology in the same way that Citizen Kane was "about" Hearst, so that they don't get sued into oblivion?

4. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

5. Thrills

Thrills Forum Resident

Can't wait for this.

Best contemporary director.

6. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

PT Anderson's The Master

Been a fan of his since Hard Eight. This one looks like a Masterpiece based on the trailer. There have been some unofficial trailers leaked on Youtube, but iTunes finally has the real deal. Glad to Jouquin Phoenix back...he's such a great actor.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/themaster/

7. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

There was a sneak preview at cinematheque in Los Angeles last week. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any impressions from that screening yet. But that means it's certainly close to release.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, there are some tweets after that posted link. Don't tell me much, but they are positive!

10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It's basically a send up of L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology, isn't it? If that's the case, I wouldn't be so certain about the Oscars...

11. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

Ha! Well, if there's one thing PTA's films never are, it's "basic". Hopefully the Academy remembers that.

I'm reminded There Will Be Blood was written off by some as nothing more than an anti-capitalism and anti-religion diatribe, which is a gross oversimplification and mischaracterization, but it's part of a strange need to whittle ambiguous and complex films into single sentences like "basically a send up of L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology". I'm fairly certain The Master will be a lot more than just that.

12. laynecobain

Yeah, that's the word. Oddly enough, he screened it for some powerful Scientologists to, I guess get all the BS out of the way?

Just from the trailer it's pretty obvious Hoffman is a "Hubbard" character. Just like There Will Be Blood, based on Upton Sinclair's "Oil" and Boogie Nights, based on John Holmes...it has to be about the early life of Hubbard.

And I don't think too many Oscar voters are Scientologists. They're not as powerful in H-Wood as most think. Remember how quickly Tom Cruises career almost fell when he first met his ex-wife?

Either way, Hubbard set out to do what he wanted early on and I think right now he'd proud of those shee...whatever they call themselves?

13. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I won't watch any trailers but will be there in release week for sure. One of the world's best directors right now.

Tom

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Very eager for this. "There Will Be Blood" was like the greatest film of all-time. Can't wait to see what he cooks up next.

Hope there's a theater in my vicinity that will actually show the film...

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Who is this one? This fav'rite son?

I hesitate to call it a send-up. I suspect it's going to be a lot more like 'Citizen Kane.'

16. laynecobain

Same here. Hubbard is just a reflection of egomaniacal men who have surfed to success on the bodies of many people.

Some people hate but I love Punch Drunk Love. And There Will Be Blood, to me, is one of the best films every made. Daniel Day Lewis's acting was icing on the cake.

If you haven't see Hard Eight...go rent or buy it. It never got it's due. Plus he does a lot of filming up in these parts of NV and CA, possibly out of familiarity with the terrain and region.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think Lewis' acting WAS the cake.

I have to say, looking at the trailer of The Master some more, it's not really turning me on. Usually trailers are pretty good indicators of films, but the trailer is actually kind of dull.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's my take as well -- highly dramatized and exaggerated, but (one hopes) entertaining. That story could make a very interesting movie.

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Attached Files:

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

if this is true, I don't like it. Why should a filmmaker have to screen his work for some quasi-religious cult? I don't believe they're as powerful in Hollywood as they say, but this is still troubling.

I still remember the huge exposé the LA Weekly did on Scientology, and how, ultimately after progressing through so many levels of their hierarchy you are finally made privy to the final truth.... that aliens are in control of the planet. Yes folks, that is the actual myth on which this cult is built.

And if this post gets deleted, then I'm really scared. :help:

22. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

70mm :love: My anticipation just went up another notch...

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

24. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Can't read the links (at work) so this may be covered. How many 70M prints were made (or is it one print making a roadshow)? When was the last movie shot 70M? I am thinking Kenneth Branaugh's Hamlet and/or Ron Howard's Far and Away?

25. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I can hardly wait to see this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.