THE MASTERING LAB deadwax info: TML-S, TML-M, TML-X?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Glennon, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

I am nearly positive that there was a post explaining the difference between the S, M and X on the dead wax of LPs from the Mastering Lab.

If you are out there, will you explain it again, as I cannot find the post, it was within a thread.
    JG

2. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

As I recall, TML-X and TML-M were the 2 primary lathes (seems like someone like Tom Port opined that one sounded better than the other, but I forget the details) and TML-S was a secondary lathe ("slaved" to the "master" lathe).

3. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks Larpy

You are on the right track, it was definitely something like that!
    JG

4. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Which is glad to know. I'd thought up to the time I learned all this, that "M" referred to Mike Reese and "S" was Doug Sax. Moreover, I noticed that all three Scullys at The Mastering Room had the same lead-in and lead-out spacing. I'll have to pay more attention to circa 1980 lacquers (i.e. Neil Diamond's "Love On The Rocks"), being as one lathe used different lead-in spacing from the other.

6. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

I just wanted to comment on these posts since they came from the thread you linked.

I remeber reading in the liner notes of one of the Sheffield Lab albums (Missing Link Vol III or Thelma Houston) that they started running 2 lathes at the same time during that session because of the high demand they ran into on an earlier release (Missing Link Vol II?) and something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.