The Mavericks new album "Brand New Day" set for release on 03/31/2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My brother was on the Outlaw Country Cruise, and they did that cover in the third of three sets he saw by them. They also do a version of Neil Young's Harvest Moon that will rip your heart out.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ordered! Thank you for the reco and link. I will let you know what I think. I'm not surprised you say it sounds good...all their stuff used to!

melstapler and Chris C like this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know what I like about him, and The Mavericks? Yup, he sings so incredibly well, but a lot of people do. What I like is he and his buddies look like they are having so much darn fun on stage. And it makes us have a good time too. He's a great entertainer and they continue to excell at that. So, whether or not they still make amazing new music, we can still see them live and really enjoy them! Thanks for the great links everyone.

Lownotes, longdist01, spanky1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sounds very nice indeed. It's better sounding on my iPad Pro than their new album sounds on my high end system! Man, that trumpet sings! Love that he is so personable with everyone. Thanks Chris.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

How neat! I've never been on the long-running blues cruise Delbert hosts, but have heard great many things. As I've heard, it's not strictly limited to just blues or country and they manage to get some very interesting artists. During my second marriage, we went on a couple oldies package cruises and had a blast and actually got to bond with some of the artists. Won't name the specific cruise line, but my only complaint pertained to the quality of the food.

uncle b likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

He sings a bit better than Neil, eh?

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Did Raul have much input on the sound of the band in concert? The last few times that I saw The Mavericks live the acoustics had the same 'thud' EQ as the last 3 albums. Maybe it was our seats (in the balcony), but The Beacon Theater (NYC) is usually very lively as the mids and high frequencies reflect favorably.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

No idea. They bring their own soundboard and monitors, plugging into the house amps and speakers. From what I've seen, the band leaves the house sound to their engineer.

stereoptic likes this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Came today. I will listen to it this weekend!

10. stereoptic

I saw them last night in Tarrytown NY. The acoustics were much better than the previous concert that I attended. Maybe it has something to do with raised platform for Paul Deakin's drums.

Jrr and melstapler like this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

This is the one group I would love to see live. I haven't enjoyed their last couple of albums (Brand New Day or the live one) but they have such a backlog of great songs I'm sure they would be great. I just saw a concert of their's on Youtube where Raul cusses out a man for hitting a woman after he stops the band and orders the guy thrown out. That was interesting!

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The sound quality starting with Mono leaves a tremendous amount to be desired. I don't get it at all...their previous recordings all sound simply amazing with all those instruments. They clearly are going for that dead dull "thud" sound you accurately describe.

melstapler and stereoptic like this.
  13. stereoptic

Whew! do you have a link?

melstapler and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. Those MCA recordings such as MUSIC FOR ALL OCCASIONS and TRAMPOLINE sound great. It's a shame that MONO and IN TIME sound so horrific. The material is good, but sound quality is atrocious.

Rick Bartlett, longdist01 and Jrr like this.
  15. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I enjoy Mono. It's certainly loud, and in mono.

Jrr and melstapler like this.
  16. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I'd agree with both of those statements. I enjoyed the music, but it was terribly compressed. Compared to MUSIC FOR ALL OCCASIONS(or most of their MCA recordings) it's sonically embarrasing, and they can do much better.

longdist01, Jrr and melstapler like this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Just search Youtube, Mavericks concert and I believe it was fairly recent. It's about 3 songs in if memory serves. If you cant find it let me know and I'll see if it's in my browser. He uses some bad language which I didn't appreciate but I give him a pass for protecting the woman and telling the crowd "you don't hit a woman...ever."

stereoptic likes this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I got a wonderful vinyl copy off of Ebay last year of Music For All Occasions. I don't know what I enjoyed more, the wonderful cover or the music. Great stuff. And I love Mono, and it sounds a bit better on vinyl, I just didn't like the sound. On that album, it could have been amazing. Not a dud song on the entire thing and I doubt they will ever come up with anything better at this point. I will continue to buy in the hopes they do!

melstapler likes this.
  19. Jump Cut

Jump Cut Forum Resident

I'm really late to the party. I received the vinyl version of Brand New Day as a gift in November and am just getting into it. It was really dirty from the factory but I was able to clean it up, eliminating almost all of the annoying ticks, pops, etc.

This is the first time I've ever listened to the Mavericks even though I've been aware of them. I really, really like this album. I can't explain why, but it just clicks with me. I certainly see some Mavericks purchases in the future.

Chris DeVoe and longdist01 like this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

All of their early catalog on vinyl are sonic masterpieces. Maybe their studio budgets were the big benefit back then. Now the songs are strong from the group it's the production suffers especially on CD format...way too compressed....

spanky1, Rick Bartlett and Jrr like this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Please pick up Mono on vinyl...it’s much better than Brand New Day, despite some good material. It isn’t a sonic masterpiece, but it’s a great album and the vibe is the same as New Day so I know you will like it. Avoid any digital version...it’s awful.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Brand New Day is a step in the right direction on vinyl. It isn’t great but it’s much better and open than Mono or that horrible live album they put out about a year ago. Geez, who is their sound guy in the studio? Why have all those great instruments and then have them sound so bad? They must realize it though as New Day was an improvement imo.

stereoptic likes this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Totally Agree!

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.