The Maze 3-D Restoration

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob Furmanek, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident Thread Starter

THE MAZE was brought back to stereoscopic life and these important individuals made it happen:

Jerry Lewis introduced me to Martin Scorsese on October 6, 2015. That meeting at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York cut through miles of red tape and started the ball rolling immediately on this project.

Martin Scorsese and Margaret Bodde at the Film Foundation insured that we had 4K scans of the left/right 35mm camera negatives and provided much-needed funding in order to make that happen.

Laura Thornburg and Andrea Kalas at the Paramount Archive provided access to the camera original 35mm elements.

Richard Lorber and Frank Tarzi at Kino Lorber Studio Classics secured the license.

Greg Kintz did the painstaking 3-D image restoration plus scene-to-scene grading of the raw scans.

Thad Komorowski did the meticulous dirt and damage clean-up.

Eckhard Büttner recreated the lost stereophonic sound from mono optical elements.

Jack Theakston helped with research and QC on the work-in-progress.

The entire 3-D Film Archive team is VERY proud of this restoration and hope that you enjoy it!

For more information, please read this terrific article by Ted Okuda: The Maze - 3dfilmarchive

[​IMG]

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Pre-ordered! Keep 'em coming, Bob!

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  3. Bob Furmanek

4. Bob Furmanek

Posted by Josh Steinberg at the Home Theater Forum: "For this new restoration, Bob and his team were given access to brand new 4K scans from the original camera negatives.

What I saw looked absolutely stunning. The image looked, for lack of a better word, perfect. The clarity of the image was amazing, showcasing amazing depth and separation in the clips that I viewed. There wasn't even the slightest hint of dirt, debris or damage in the footage I was shown.

I'm always excited whenever a new 3D Film Archive restoration is announced, but now that I've seen a peak of this one, I'm doubly excited.

For anyone who's seen the film before and has been patiently waiting for this restoration: trust me, it's worth the wait. And for any 3D fans who are thinking about making a blind buy for this title: after seeing a few minutes of it, I'm completely sold."

[​IMG]

Derek Gee likes this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you again Bob for sharing this film news with us, and all the History.

Any easy decision to order, and support all this amazing work!

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  6. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

This is great news! I'm a 3-D junkie and this film is one that I've wanted to see. Are any theater presentations of the new restoration planned?

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for those pictures. I copied and pasted them (a bit smaller) and free-viewed. Incredible!

8. Bob Furmanek

Thanks very much, we're working on a NY premiere date for THE MAZE right now.

Standby for updates...

9. Bob Furmanek

Here's another cross-eyed and parallel-view sneak peak at our restoration of William Cameron Menzies' 3-D masterpiece, THE MAZE.

[​IMG]

Derek Gee and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  10. Bob Furmanek

Peter Apruzzese posted these comments after a sneak preview of THE MAZE on 3-D Blu-ray:

"William Cameron Menzies' direction made maximum use of depth to enhance the environment (low angles, high angles, strategic actor blocking and camera movements, etc.), augmented by several startling out-of-screen effects. The image is near flawless, the cleanup, alignment, and matching of the scans might make this the best black & white 3-D presentation yet, from anybody.

The recreation of the 3 channel stereo sound is equally impressive - subtle when it needs to be, booming when it needs to be. If you liked how Cease Fire sounded, I think you'll be as impressed by the sound on The Maze. I look forward to hearing it on my big rig at home.

I'd seen the 35mm dual-strip print a few times, but this was my favorite presentation of the film to date, extremely enjoyable for 3-D and vintage horror/mystery fans. Another winner from the 3-D Film Archive."

longdist01 likes this.
  11. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I'll be there!

12. Bob Furmanek

13. Bob Furmanek

14. Bob Furmanek

Now that our 3-D restoration of THE MAZE is about to arrive in your hands, we remind you what was written in the original ad campaign: "Please do not reveal the amazing climax to your friends!"

Here are some reactions to our world premiere screening this week at the Museum of Modern Art in New York:

"The main thing is that the movie looked stupendous. Pristine. Gorgeous. The image was sparkling clear, even to a guy who'd forgotten his regular glasses to wear under the 3D glasses, and the dimensional effect was striking throughout. Usually, when I watch a 3D film, I tend to forget about ten minutes in that it even IS 3D. This time, though, thanks to the restoration team and Mr. Menzies, there was no forgetting. It was quite something to see."

"I happen to one of the relative few (?) who had never seen The Maze at all, so this was a huge double treat. Though I have no knowledge of what the movie has looked like over the years, I don't hesitate to say that everyone who has been looking forward to this release is going to be absolutely thrilled with the Blu-ray. The image and sound are, quite simply, spectacular, and the audience reactions bore that out, throughout the film and after it ended."

"Caught last night's showing of The Maze with Bob and Greg (whom I had yet to meet -- a great guy). These guys are working their a$$e$ off to keep the classic-3D pump primed. Their restoration is superb."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Derek Gee likes this.
  15. Bob Furmanek

Our critically-acclaimed restoration of William Cameron Menzies stereoscopic masterpiece THE MAZE is shipping this week. We remind you: "Please do not reveal the amazing climax to your friends!"

In fact, please don't tell strangers either. Let them discover the terrifying secret for themselves!

The Maze - 3dfilmarchive

[​IMG]

Derek Gee and longdist01 like this.
  16. Bob Furmanek

Our new restoration of William Cameron Menzies' THE MAZE is released tomorrow.

Before you discover the fearful secret that was hidden from the world for 200 years, please consult your cardiologist to make sure your heart can stand the strain!

[​IMG]

Derek Gee likes this.
  17. So this movie may cause death?
    I'll take my chances anyway!
    Never got to see many of the classic 3D movies but I would love too.
    The only one I have seen is Dial M for Murder which was projected from a single side by side 35mm print. It wasn't very good.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My copy should be waiting for me when I get home this evening. :pineapple::goodie:

Bob Furmanek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.