The McCartney Years dvd coming up

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by peerke, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H-Man

H-Man Member

The DVD didn't look good at all. Have you ever seen the LD? Have you ever even compared the LD to the DVD clips?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I had the LD back in the 90s but sold it then. I recall it didn't look very good.

I think the DVD footage looks nice - at least given its origins and age. Not saying it's amazing, but it was very pleasing to me...

3. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

Rockshow on the McCartney years looked really poor compared to what it should look like if they go the the original camera negatives. There were reel change marks in the DVD!!! This was transferred from a release print! This should look way better if properly restored and transferred. Fingers crossed that this will get the treatment it deserves.

4. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I thought it looked great as well. We can only hope...

5. 905

905 Senior Member

Same here.

6. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

It could have been transferred from an internegative made for the purpose of striking prints. Not the best source, but likely the easiest one to transfer that had been properly conformed for the 1.85 theatrical ratio.

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I hope a Blu Ray arrives at some point.

8. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I would upgrade if only to get the additional videos that were left off!

9. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I agree. A Blu Ray reissue would be a great opportunity to include them.

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

All well and good, but they need to do more--or less--than that. Many of the vids included were cropped from full screen to letterbox, removing parts of the original image. That really didn't bother me, but it isn't a scholarly thing to do, either.

:ed:

11. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

It bothered me. The clueless director tried to defend his work on Amazon after being bashed mercilessly in reviews, and it was clear he didn't understand aspect ratios. That absolutely needs to be fixed before I buy another copy.

Derek

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Gotta say I bought that one because of its having 5.1 multichannel mixes, out of curiosity. It's a lot of Macca to swallow in one package. In many ways it was superlatively done, but to crop so many videos made no sense at all, artistic or otherwise. But whoever allowed that cropping was just doing the same thing that was done to some standard aspect ratio films after theaters converted to wide screens back in 1953: cropping top and bottom to allow for a wider but inaccurate image. SHANE, among others, received this treatment. Even into the 1980's the cropped version was still being shown most of the time when it found its way to a movie house. We're wiser now, most DVD's show a proper aspect for films, but anytime someone gets a notion, anything can go wrong, and does.

:ed:

zobalob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.