The Megadeth Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Dec 10, 2013.

1. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Per your suggestion, I've ordered Rude Awakening from your live list.

Checking my collection, I see have Punishment Is Due from 1993. But it appears to be (a nicely done) bootleg.
    [​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

is it silver pressed? whats the tracklisting?

3. Matthew Tate

listening to supercollider tonight. listened to it twice and its hard to remember much of anything. very faceless imo. might be one of the bands worst albums. my original 3 picks

-SUPER COLLIDER-kingmaker, built for war, beginning of sorrow

after listening to the album twice I think i'll go with

-supercollider- kingmaker, beginning of sorrow, a house divided

there are a lot of lyrically weak songs on here. "burn", "al I want", "forget to remember", "don't turn your back" and "off the edge". lyrically this may be the bands worst album imo.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  4. weekendtoy

[​IMG]

I bought a lot of these live discs back in the early 90's, before the internet killed the 'brick and motor' business. I used to get a flyer mailed to me monthly...I'd write a check. They are all quasi legit cd's I guess. I would never (knowingly or intentionally) buy a pirated copy of released material.

Tracks 1-8 are well recorded for a live recording. The bonus tracks not as good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

thank you. not an interesting list to me as i have most of those songs on stuff already

6. Matthew Tate

listened to UA last night. I'm sticking with the same 3 songs

-UA- sleepwalker, gears of war, title track

I will say this seems to be the last megadeth album where every song has a hook of some kind

Vintagejazz and Rose River Bear like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

listened to dystopia gain tonight. here are my original 3 picks

-DYSTOPIA-fatal illusion, poisonous shadows, bullet to the brain

here are my new 3 picks

bullet to the brain, fatal illusion, death from within

I want to say I have the 13 track version from best buy. the album is the bands strongest in years. imo the best easily since UA. I will say that the album really fades at the end of the 13 track version. the first 7 tracks are amazing. was hard to pick 3 but all 3 picks were more than likely coming from the first 7. track 8 though starts a recent issue megadeth has had which is subpar lyrics. "look who's talking" is not good. the album rebounds a bit with the instrumental "conquer and die" which is harmless but not mindblowing. "lying in state" though is pretty close to the quality of tracks 1-7. after that though "the emperor" and "last dying wish" are weak again in the lyrics and the cover of "foreign policy" is passable. so tracks 8-13 imo 4 of them are throwaways

8. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Love Vic

dennis1077 likes this.
  10. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

For me, Vic IS the ultimate metal mascot! A "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" skeleton? Brilliant.

Just saw Megadeth Tuesday night (for the first time!) on their tour with the Scorpions. It was bittersweet. Dave now relies a LOT on prerecorded vocals, and even then, it was sad to watch/hear him bow out of live vocals when the notes got too challenging, only to jump back in when in range. Still. It was Megadeth. And it was ****ing awesome.

11. dennis1077

That's disappointing to read. Haven't seen them in years.

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That is a bit disappointing but I'm sure they still played a great show. I have seen them around 3-4 times. Best show Clash of The Titans tour with Anthrax and Slayer in Portland Maine. General admission, in the pit 10-15 feet from the stage. Badass!

13. Matthew Tate

never heard about these pre recorded vocals

14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Ppl have said it.

I have no idea what to believe on all that. I assume it might be true.

Songs he was struggling with in 2010 (can't remember if it was RIP or PSBWB that they did in their entirety) , he seemed to have no problem with last yr.

Same w Joe Elliot & Def Lep. Dude was struggling then suddenly he nails everything last 2 times I saw them. Final Tour w Vince/Motley....maybe some of the same? Ozzy too? I know Ozzy solo has a guy in a tent offstage who sings same exact parts & supposedly his voice takes over?

In addition there's the electronics that must help.

Man, if Mick Jagger is just singing 100% pure with no electronic enhancements then that's saying something. How he can dance, jog, etc & still remain strong & steady. Never out of breath. Much of the same I'd say about Rod Stewart. Zander kills it considering his range.

Anyhow yeah, Dave prob uses some help. I'd use it. Keeps the music going.

Rose River Bear and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

i know on recent live releases dave redid all his vocals

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Dr. Bogenbroom

Yes. Yes they did. They were tight, and shredding like nobody's business. It was an audio assult of fantastic proportions. Given the chance, I'll go see them again!

I don't quite follow. Live releases...redid all his vocals?

I'm not trying to besmirch anything here. Trust me. I didn't mention anything about autorune helping out...because though I suspected in a few places, and I know Dave isn't one to shy away from technology...my suspicion is questionable at best. The reliance upon pre-recorded vocals though, quite plain. I was wearing a tweed driving cap at the show, and I'll eat that puppy if proven otherwise.

Can't blame the guy, though. He's old. It's not like he phoned it in. :tiphat:

Clanceman likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

on 2 recent megadeth live dvd's that were released dave redid all or most of the live vocals by going into a studio and overdubbing his voice to make it sound better . its pretty clear

joshm2286 likes this.
  18. Dr. Bogenbroom

Ah, just wanted to make sure I understood. Could be the case he can still hit the notes. Could be the case of multiple takes in the studio. Pretty sure he can't hit them live. And night after night to boot. You could hear him stop singing and come back in.

Rose River Bear and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. dennis1077

I was about 13 when this tour came to town. Begged my Uncle to take me and he finally gave in. Bought tickets months in advance. THE DAY BEFORE the show, he told me that he couldn't go because of work. Hands down, the biggest concert disappointment of my life.

Rose River Bear and Soundslave like this.
  20. weekendtoy

Saw this tour as well, except it was Alice In Chains and not Slayer. Outdoor show, beautiful summer day, sat in the field smoking hash before the show, Anthrax had dancing girls on top of the speakers, good times...

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Got lucky today and found an original 1992 Countdown CD used. Bought it when it was released but traded it in sometime in the late 90s. I think the original is one of the best sounding metal albums.

22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Early 90's was a great time for CD production before the loudness wars took complete control in around 1998-2000.

Dr. Bogenbroom and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I have it too (Holland Pressing) but... And I guess I'm definitely in the minority here, but I prefer MoFi's take on Dave's 2004 Remixed & Remastered here. To my ears cymbals are "hot" on the original 1992 CD. I don't know if LP sounds better though, it might be.

24. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

My personal opinion on each album. I will start with the first 5 in this post. Take these reviews with a grain of salt. They are simply based on my opinion.

1. Killing Is My Business...

This is a short burst of some of the best thrash metal from beginning to end. I've never heard anything like it. The heavy jazz influence shows through on ever track and mixes well with Dave's furious metal assault. Unfortunately, the production of this album is so poor it can be difficult for me to listen to. The following two remasters only made it worse. As a side note they should have just left "These Boots" off of the 2002 remaster. The beeps are annoying. The song was more of a joke anyway and the absence of the song doesn't hurt the album in my opinion.

2. Peace sells...

My first experience with Megadeth came from this release. It is a rush from beginning to end. Far more focused then the previous album. This release is a guitar extravaganza. It manages to combine speed and technicality while still keeping a strong focus on structure. This may be an intense album, but it never comes across as sloppy.

3. So Far, So Good, So What

This album has had mixed reviews since day one. For me, it's a prefect progression from the last album with only two complaints. First, the album sounds uneven. It sounds more like a compilation of tracks rather then an album. Second, I could do without the cover of "Anarchy In The U.K.". I will say that "502", "Liar", and "Hook In Mouth" are possibly some of the best they had ever written by this point in their career.

4. Rust In Peace

Far more focused then anything they had ever done. The additions of Marty Friedman and Nick Menza helped tremendously in the musical department. This album changed Megadeth from a thrash band to a true force of metal greatness. No matter how popular this album becomes I will always believe that it's still under-rated.

5. Countdown To Extinction

With each album, Megadeth seem to become tighter and tighter. This album is the summation of the journey. Even though they shaved some of their aggression, they replaced it with perfect song structures an excellent musicianship. More radio friendly then some may prefer, but for me it's sheer perfection. "High Speed Dirt" is my personal highlight of the album.

To be continued...

25. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Can't say I listen to it from start to finish very often if at all but I've had a few songs off The System Has Failed on my playlists lately some pretty cool stuff I guess the Chris Poland factor is part of it for me.