The Mentalist - any fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bencasey, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we are about due for a red john episode.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I see Red John a an ongoing back-story that comes into more prominence occasionally.

However it might, if ever wrap-up, it will lose its mystery when the handcuffs go on.

4. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Anyone looking forward to the season finale? I've enjoyed the addition of Pruitt Taylor Vince.
    Nice touch to pick "Mad World" as part of the preview.

5. shokhead

Can't wait!

6. I predict Red John is the psychic suffering from multiple personalities.

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Here's my sum up of the finale:

The first 1 hour 50 minutes = utter and complete rubbish with plot/logical holes galore. I must be seriously bored to watch this crap.

The last 10 minutes = nail biting, very interesting, an event which makes me VERY interested in the next season.

(I'm a casual fan of the show, I catch it occasionally but I don't watch it religiously)

8. nbakid2000

And sorry guys, but as far as women on the show are concerned:

[​IMG]

She does it for me. :agree:

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the finale was great great TV.

will be interesting to see who the new foil will be next year.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I watch the show. (What else am I going to do with three little kids, go out dancing 'til dawn?)

My questions. Red John turns out to be Josh Lyman? Really? What was it about this guy that inspired such weird cult loyalty in FBI agents, cops, assassins, etc. that they would sacrifice themselves for him, jumping out of windows, taking poison shooting and killing their own fiancées and all that?

Really. What was this guy's hold over all of these endless people for so many years?

Are we sure that Bradley was indeed Red John?

11. nbakid2000

I would say we're not sure he was but even so, the entire thing is just too unbelievable to even be enjoyable.

12. I think that Red John is MORE than one person committing crimes in a similar fashion.

That said, the ending was terrific a great cliff hanger. I often wondered if Jane would do what he said he would do and he lived up to his promise.

If this wasn't THE Red John it was someone close enough to have observed the killing of his family. He knew too many details about them--the bit about they smelled before he killed them is what drove Jane to the edge and convinced him.

I'm convinced that this is the guy that killed his family but that there is some sort of cult that will continue to do the same thing.

Van Pelt must feel like Dexter's sister.

Oh and Van Pelt IS the woman on the show as far as I'm concerned.

Inteview with Amanda: http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv...manda-righetti-thinks-about-that-crazy-finale

Attached Files:

13. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

I like the show, liked the ending and am awaiting more.

14. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

:righton:

15. nbakid2000

This is quite possible but then it (again) brings it very close to the realm of "this is not believable."

We'll have to wait and see what direction they take the death of Red John.

16. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Van Pelt is SOOOOO cute!

[​IMG]

But Lisbon is rather naughty, I think..... ;)

Quite a season ender, for sure!

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I got tired of the final episode part way thru and wandered away. Now I will have to watch for a re-run to the how it ended.

18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I only saw a couple of episodes of this show. My mother kept telling me about it, but I didn;t listen. (What else is new?) Anyway, I caught the last two episodes and I think I am hooked. Last night's season ending episode was great IMO.

BTW - is this the first or second season for the show? (Hey, I'm new to the show.)

Found my answer to the above question - went back to the beginning of this thread and found out it is the second season. Guess I have some catching up to do.

19. nbakid2000

This is the 3rd season.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

This is my problem with the whole Red John thing. What is it about him that he has all these people working for him like there's this big thing he's managed to convince them off.

If he was just run of the mill serial killer I could believe...but it's so far fetched. Maybe there's an answer on the way with respect to why he does what he does and how he manages to get all these people on board. I suspect that not even the writers really know!

Anyway I liked the season finale. It'll be interesting how they deal with his death. The main reason Jane is with the CBI is to get this guy so if he is dead what is his reason for continuing with the CBI?

BTW I suspect the FBI guy might be the one. Reason 1 the time they were under fire and he failed to protect Van Pelt like someone in love or who cared would. Reason 2 it became incredibly obvious when Van Pelt asked him to accompany her to the house. Standard TV show writing foreshadowing.

One question though. How did Red John know that Jane would be at that mall? If FBI man was the inside guy how did he find out he was heading to the mall. Maybe he just followed him?

Eddie

21. shokhead

He was an infamous serial killer who murdered sixteen women and eight men, including Patrick Jane's wife and daughter. Run of the mill?

22. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to track down the first couple of seasons on DVD.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah see that would be a run of the mill serial killer. But he's more than that isn't he? He manages to get all these people to follow him and give up their life for him do his bidding without question. Without a good story as to why it seems a little too far fetched for me. Of course it is television.

24. nbakid2000

Bad television.

25. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

Did they have any idea they were getting renewed when this episode was written and subsequently filmed? It seems like they were covering their bases in case it was a series finale.

Besides, the Red John story line was getting old. You can't just keep sprinkling seasons with one or two Red John episodes then do a run like they never happened and expect it to keep fresh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.