The Mentalist - any fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bencasey, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, no. That Red John thing was genuinely creepy. Never knew what he knew or why he did what he did or when he would turn up. You had the feeling he was everywhere. That weird smiley face drawing on the wall, etc. Unsettling. And the John Wayne Gacy police captain, that round pudgy actor with the constantly darting eyes. He is great and weird all at the same time.

I think Red John was a great character and was relieved that they didn't spill it all at once (like they would on the perverse Criminal Minds, etc.)

2. Perhaps its some form of Stockholm Syndrome. I'm sure we'll unravel the whys and wherefores next season as Patrick will be on trial and also consulting with CBI on some cases.

Another idea came to mind--the person who Jane killed may be the person who killed his wife and daughter but he might not be Red John and, again, that person is just someone that directs others to do his bidding including killing and using the same MO.

Sloppy writing doesn't define a show as bad television--it's just sloppy writing for a particular episode. The show has its peaks and valleys like any series.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I thought of that. He knew those details because he actually did it but he was really a messenger for Red John. The only problem with that theory is that this guy would have to have done all the killings because they were all so similar. If it was different people then it stands to reason that there might be slight differences.

Next season should be interesting. I'm wondering how he'll get off. Obviously he can't really go to jail and how is he going to prove that this guy was Red John?

Interesting.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I enjoyed Jane shooting Red John knowing how much Jane hates guns and then sitting down, having his tea and waiting for the police, funny.

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

If it's sloppy, it's bad. It doesn't matter if you're defining "television" as a complete series or as a bad episode. It's still bad.

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think you missed his point. None the less you clearly don't like the show so why don't you buzz off and stop thread crapping. This thread is for people who like the show.

Go away and start a Mentalist is **** thread.

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Over react much? Who said I didn't like the show? I just said I watched it occasionally. Just because I criticize one episode or story arc doesn't mean I "don't like the show."

That's like saying someone can't criticize a band or song or album because if they do, they're clearly not fans of the band. :rolleyes:

For your information, I happen to like the show. In fact, I posted a picture and I said the ending of the finale was awesome and I couldn't wait for next season. I think it's quite clever at times and Jane is a cool character.

Why don't you buzz off and stop making ill informed and reactionary judgment calls about people?

8. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

If by the "police captain" you mean LaRoche (Vince)-he is great & weird, & I like him too, and have since I saw "Heavy" and "Jacob's Ladder".

One problem I had with this is Hightower. I've never seen her as sympathetic and since the story moves around her character, I wasn't as involved as I would have liked to be in this finale.

A couple of observations about red john. He spoke as if he -was- red john and not part of a network or group. And he reminded me a little of John Malkovich in that Eastwood assassin movie. My 2c.

9. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Finally saw the finale. WOW. No tv show or movie has kept me on the edge of my seat like that in a long time. I'll admit that I didn't keep up this season as much as 1 and 2, but I still really enjoy it.

I'm glad the Red John thing is over. IMO it began to get tired last season(2). The show can clearly stand on its own, without that storyline. I'm actually relieved.

Kudos again to Simon Baker's acting, effectively communicating a combination of anger, sadness, and inner conflict as he confronted and shot RJ.

I wonder if the fact that Red John had a gun would be part of Jane's defense? I feel like a weight has been lifted from the show, and it can now continue without being stifled by having to work in the Red John material. To me, it had all the making of a big red herring...but what a payoff!

Looking forward to next season! :righton:

Dan

10. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

So, now that the new season is about to start and we've seen a few previews of the new season. Patrick says in the previews that Red John had a gun, which we know, and someone must have removed it. It's probably someone we don't know yet. But, I keep thinking the girl in the food court who brought the tea and coffee to Patricks table hid the gun. Anyone else have any ideas?

11. Steve Hoffman

Dan, I don't think the Red John story is gone. I mean, even that good looking cop's fiancée FBI agent was one of this guy's brainwashed dupes. WHY? We don't know that yet. Hopefully we will find out this season and let Jane get some friggin' sleep. For most of last season he looked like a total insomniac..

12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Red John himself is gone. I read a quote from one of the producers that spoke to that point, that it was, in fact, RJ that was shot. I don't mind flushing out a few of his minions, but if it seems like he now has a small nation of sociopaths killing in the name of their former leader, I'm not sure what I will think. It's all in the, pardon the pun, execution of the idea.

I think this season will begin with his trial and defense, which I'm assuming will trigger even more Jane backstory. That will be interesting.

Dan

13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I watched the final episode again the other night. I noticed that when Red John and Patrick were standing up talking - just prior to the shooting - that RJ still had a newspaper under his arm. I was watching the background to see if they showed the table, but I didn't see it. But if you go back to the conversation at the table, it seems there were two sections of the paper - the one RJ was reading and the one lying on the table with the gun inside.

Good point about the waitress being the one to grab the paper/gun. She was the only person who stayed around after the shooting. Everyone else scrambled out of there.

14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I can't wait to find out what happens next! :wave:

15. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

:::pOSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT:::

That wasn't Red John. His girlfriend Kristina Fry is Red John.

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

How do you know that? I just saw the first episode and Jane does say Red John is still alive but no mention of the girlfriend who's been arrested.

17. rockclassics

Yes - I've been watching every episode so far. Tonight's was pretty interesting with the new "chief" of the unit.

18. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

I liked the 1st episode of the new season, but the next two really worried me, I didn't like them much at all, and I consider myself a big fan of the show. But, tonight's episode with the new boss was good. I'm having hope it will regain, for me, the excitement of the previous seasons.

19. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Liked the first two episodes of Season 3 I have seen so far - how can Malcolm McDowell NOT be Red John ???

Attached Files:

20. rockclassics

The way Patrick and the new boss sparred with each other last night was great. Hope they do more of this in future episodes.

21. If so i wonder if Realizes he's Red John or suffering from multiple personality disorder.

22. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Interesting angle you got there ...... I didn't think about it like this at all, but makes sense .....

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If they pull the "multiple personality disorder" card now, right after the revelation of "Sybil" being a crock...that's gonna hurt 'em. :sigh:

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Manhattan Transfer - Soul Food To Go

24. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

It's gonna take a lot to drive me away completely. I was not pleased when the man he shot was not RJ, seemed like the lowest kind of setup manipulation for a huge payoff....which turned out to be bunk.

I may have said before that the spectre of RJ was an albatross that the show could have done without, that Patrick's character could run 100% on guilt from his previous life as a false psychic and seek redemption working for the CBI.

I'm willing to go where the writers/producers go, because I haven't been let down so far; I love the cast, and I like the new chief--he is not a bumbling idiot, seems like a believable foil for Patrick. The new episodes are mostly hits, IMO.

Dan

25. Steve Hoffman

So far Patrick is sleepwalking through this season but not as bad as last season. :)

I wuz right about Red John, eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.