The Mick Taylor years.... how does Goats head Soup rate in your ranking of his years in the band?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mick was in the band during some of their most iconic releases as well as others that don't get so much love, such as Goat's Head Soup. Given that the album does have Heartbreaker, Angie, Dancing with Mr. D, and Star Star, how does it rate in your ranking of his years in the band?

2. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

All Taylor albums are right up at the top in my book ... Goats Head included.

scottp, Maurice, Reever and 52 others like this.
  3. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

An underappreciated record for sure, but actually I don't hear that much Taylor on it.
    It's more of a Mick Jagger record.

goodiesguy, Murph, klockwerk and 2 others like this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think "Goats Head Soup" is a fine album. I listen to it more than "Exile on Main Street".

5. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Goat's Head Soup has it's moments, but it is not my favorite Stone's album.

6. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I like Goat's Head Soup except for the opening song "Dancing With Mr. D" (although the early Brussels live version is still pretty good. I think the album would have been much better if "Dancing With Mr. D" had been replaced by "Criss Cross Man" (aka "Save Me") which was completed at the sessions. The album is very different from what preceded it and is less of a rock n roll album. I am very fond of Keith's ballad "Coming Down Again" especially Nicky Hopkins' great piano. In fact, it's more of a ballad album - the lead single "Angie" was a ballad and "Winter" was notable as a Mick Jagger/Mick Taylor vehicle.

7. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

The last of the golden period. Last Jimmy Miller record. Taylor stuck around for one more, but not as good as this one.

Actually, Bill Wyman seems more MIA on this one than Taylor. Taylor and Richards play bass on 5 tracks according to Wikipedia.

Goats Head Soup - Wikipedia »

8. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Love me some Goats :righton:

As others have pointed out - MT is all over it, wielding that Les Paul like a light sabre! :cool:

It's in my top 5 Stones albums...

9. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I'm fully aware that Goat's Head Soup is not highly rated by many but I play it almost as much as any other Stones album.

I particularly love:
    "Dancing with Mr. D" A tremendous guitar hook!
    "Coming Down Again" a good Keith song
    "Hide Your Love" can't explain -- just like it a lot!
    "Winter" somewhat reminiscent of "Moonlight Mile"
    "Can You Hear the Music" love the solid rhythm Charlie lays down

Also, this a great video!

10. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

I suspect that most fans actually love Jimmy Miller years, they just naturally confuse them with Mick Taylor years.

11. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I love its dark, muddy vibe and it holds pretty well together as an album. It gets a lot of rotation here and is surely in my TOP 10 of Stones recording.

12. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I am thinking you may be right... although they do overlap nicely. I love Goats.

13. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

My fave of the Taylor era; there's a bit of a druggy/Moroccan vibe there.

14. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I've mentioned my love for this record in other threads. This is easily one of my top 3 favorite Stones albums and somedays it is #1. I love Goats Head Soup. I love the vibe, I love the songs and and I love the performances. "Winter," "100 Years Ago," "Coming Down Again," "Angie," "Heartbreaker"...I just love these songs. They are extremely well-recorded too. It's great to listen to "Angie" on headphones and just admire Nicky Hopkins' beautiful playing, or listen to those incredibly warm horn breaks on "Coming Down Again."

Fantastic record and Mick Taylor contributes to it splendidly. :righton:

15. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

:biglaugh::crazy::crazy::whistle:

the bea ve

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

GHS is AOK

Crimson Witch likes this.
  17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Bravo!! I could not have said it better myself!!!
    A Great Record!!
    the beave

Crimson Witch likes this.
  18. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

I always liked star star and silver train and winter

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I have always liked Goats head soap-actually one of my favorite Stones album. Some great ballads with inventive arrangements. Winter, Coming down again and Can you hear the music are lost gems.

20. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

It's such an atmospheric album. David Bailey's photography really captures the overall mood of the music.

rxcory, Crimson Witch and bonus like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Maybe their bluesiest album. I don't play it when I am feeling down.

Crimson Witch and Fullbug like this.
  22. Terry Shute

Terry Shute King of Sweden

It was a disappointment to me after Exile. I think it's the least of the Mick Taylor albums.

mwheelerk, Hammerpeg, Rojo and 2 others like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like Goats Head Soup but I like It's Only Rock 'N' Roll better, especially side 1.

There is a different mix of Goats Head Soup floating around that has Mick Taylor's guitar parts more prominent in the mix.

It is also interesting to note that Criss Cross and Through The Lonely Nights were dropped from the original track listing and replaced by Coming Down Again and Winter.

In addition, Short And Curlies, Waiting On A Friend and Tops were all worked on during the Goats Head Soup sessions and completed later.

I would have preferred if Can You Hear The Music was replaced by Criss Cross.

I like Taylor's guitar on Hide Your Love, Dancing With Mr. D and Heartbreaker, Winter is also a nice ballad.

24. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Dancing with Mr D - Not much of a tune. Jagger posturing on autopilot. I don't like the live versions either.
    100 Years Ago - I dig the fragmentary stop-and-go nature of this one. Some of my favorite Jagger lyrics (for real) and definitely one of his oddest vocals. Played live during the early dates of the '73 tour. I think they gave up on it a little too early. That coda could have been extended and jammed out magnificently.
    Coming Down Again - Keith's biggest imprint on the album is a song about addiction. Stretched a little too long on too little of a melody, but it's from the gut.
    Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - Half-baked social outrage lyrics with a mannered Jagger vocal. Taylor and Preston are good on this one. Another one that came off better when stretched out a bit on stage.
    Angie - I guess I'm burned out on this one forever. It's like Wild Horses' awkward kid sister. Again, the versions played on the '73 tour are the only way I want to hear it.
    Silver Train - A decent Johnny Winter tribute but the actual take has no energy. The GHS version sounds like crap too. There's a superior mix of this one out there.
    Hide Your Love - Filler. They should have put Criss Cross Man here.
    Winter - If Angie is Wild Horses' awkward kid sister, then this is Moonlight Miles'. Taylor sounds good. Again, it's one of those deep tracks cited by many fans as one of the Stones best. I can't get through it anymore.
    Can You Hear The Music - Not really.
    Star Star - Trying so hard to to be lewd and crude, and mostly succeeding. At least somebody woke Keith up for this one. Again, better on stage.

Too much of this one sounds like the Rolling Stones not wanting to make a Rolling Stones record.

Davmoco, 2141, bluejimbop and 12 others like this.
  25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not as good as 'Exile' or RnR but far superior to 'Black And Blue' or 'Some Girls', methinks. Stands up just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.