The Middle (ABC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Splungeworthy, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura Thread Starter

An appreciation thread for this under-the-radar show, 9 seasons long, that just wrapped.
    There's a lot to love about this unassuming show, from the remarkable longevity, to the affectionate portrayal of everyday people in a small town, starting with Patricia Heaton. This is her second 9 season show (Everybody Loves Raymond is the other), an impressive achievement. The show has never had less than a full season order, including the last. The quality of the acting is hard to overestimate-Eden Sher and Atticus Shaffer (an interesting story himself) play much younger characters, Sher by some 8 years.
    It's the diametric opposite of a water cooler show-it's not flashy in any way, and not terribly topical. It's the utility infielder of sitcoms, very steady and dependable. It's a syndication dream.
    I notice that a few Middle threads have been shut down, probably due to politics. Hopefully that won't happen again.
    'The Middle' films its final episode

Willowman, GeoffC, RickH and 10 others like this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Funny, when The Middle started, I didn't like it at all. I always felt like the episodes ended on a sour note. I far preferred Modern Family. Then, by season 3 of each show, I totally flipped--LOVED The Middle, hated Modern Family. For some reason, Hulu only has 5 episodes up at a time, so once I went to college, I lost track and never really returned, which I always felt a bit bad about. I'm sure I'll watch these last 3 seasons eventually.
    It was always kind of under the radar, especially compared to Modern Family, which is sad. But you bring up a good point that it's pretty prrfect for syndication. I don't see much reason why it couldn't gain fans in the coming years.

3. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

We love this show in my house. The "rarity of rarities" , the whole family watched together ! When my kids were younger, it was nice to watch something with no objectionable moments. (also rare)
    Great writing, consistently funny. The entire cast was brilliant. It will be missed here.

4. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

It's a great show but probably should have ended two seasons ago. I much prefer Patricia Heaton as Frankie over Raymond's nagging Deborah,

5. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Loved the episodes that Big Mike and Rusty were in.

rburly and clhboa like this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

We love this show. I think we are in season 8 right now, but we have to go back and see the very first seasons. So hilarious.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nah, her Debra character was way more interesting, smarter and funnier. Frankie was as dull as dishwater.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Been watching from the start. Really gonna miss it.

rburly and Curious Breeze like this.
  9. BNell

BNell Forum Resident

I love it. Will definitely miss this show.

utopiarun and rburly like this.
  10. jon9091

Yeah, me too. Of course, I just like this show a lot better than Raymond too.

rburly and clhboa like this.
  11. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I used to hear my wife laughing really hard at times while I was in another room. After a while, I had to find out what it was all about. I've been a fan ever since. This was probably around season three. I going to miss it.

rburly and Kubricker like this.
  12. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Although I didn't watch every week, I did watch most episodes. The first couple of seasons were weird. There were no topical references, no computers, no cell phones, and all white people. Is this some kind of alternate universe? Gradually, they started introducing those elements so we knew there were, in fact, in 21st Century America. I don't know if the original weirdness was intentional or not...

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It took me a while, but The Middle became one of the few new sitcoms I actually found funny over the past decade or so. This season has been a bit of a disappointment, though.

Kubricker likes this.
  14. Isolar801

Isolar801 Forum Resident

Eden Sher as Sue Heck.......one of the most overlooked, underrated performances ever !

15. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

'The Middle' spin-off in the works at ABC focused on Sue Heck

It all makes sense now...the strange reference in the series finale to Sue and Sean breaking up a lot before they eventually get married was purposely put in to clear the air for Sue and the potential spinoff. Now she can have other romantic entanglements and won't disrupt the 'canon'.

rburly and OldSoul like this.
  16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Relax tv pur sang. Far removed from Hollywood fakery, overacting, perfect living, loud drama queenery modernisms. I love the episodes where they don't bother setting a good example as parents (yes I love all episodes :laugh:)

[​IMG]

17. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Showing older episodes on Hallmark channel.

utopiarun likes this.
  18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

As well as Dick and Jerry Van Dyke as Frankie's uncle and dad, respectively.

I liked the show at the beginning and enjoyed it until that last drive away. I figured that there wasn't a thread about the show because it truly was about "The Middle," which Frankie (Patricia Heaton) says is the place you fly over on your way to somewhere." It reminded me of people I knew growing up, families I knew growing up and told humorous stories weekly. The show is on daily on the FreeForm channel. I've watched every episode, I believe. I know everyone has choices about the TV they watch. I'm glad ABC allowed the show to play out the way it did. The hour finale was funny and emotional imo.

Kubricker, Matthew Tate and Pennywise like this.
  19. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

I thought the final episode was well done. I was wondering how they were going to get a sentimental ending out of that family. The scene with the three kids in the back seat of the car all night made me weepy. And, the last two words of the show were perfect. :laugh:

jpelg and rburly like this.
  20. jon9091

Great show. Great ending.

rburly likes this.
  21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

IIRC, the last shot was a jet flying over.

OldSoul and rburly like this.
  22. rburly

With the whisper?

23. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Love the show and the way it wrapped up. Still watch the reruns on Hallmark.

Consistently good for the whole run except last year with Axel getting married to that not so smart person kind of was a stretch for me.

rburly likes this.
  24. rburly

But he has 3 sons just like him! :p

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Thought this was cancelled years ago.

Took long enough to start a thread :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.