The Miles Davis album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jan 16, 2008.

1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

Just googled Bill Evans. Can't believe he's 60...

2. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Apologies but rewinding a few years to 1975, is this the Agharta I need to upgrade to (I only have the fatbox Columbia 1991 version).

Miles Davis - Agharta

rxcory likes this.
  3. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

Miles! Miles! Miles! was also released as a single disc CD called Fat Time, although I'm not sure whether it's a bootleg or grey import, as Amazon have sold it and I've seen it in some record stores. I like this record too and the fact that it's from one concert, means it has a coherence lacking with We Want Miles' pick 'n' mix approach. That said, Miles was struggling on this tour and his horn sounds a little tinny at times. Even so, the band are tight and it's great to have a document of Miles's 81 Japan tour. I believe most if not all concerts from this tour were recorded. It would be great to see a few more of them released. I'd also love to see the 1982 televised London concert officially released on CD. The band's version of "Aida" really smokes and "Jean-Pierre" has a rare Marcus Miller solo! Shigeru Uchiyama's Miles Smiles has lots of great photos of Miles and the band in Japan. whisper's jazz: 2010年11月 Be sure to scroll back through the pages for more photos!

LinnsondekLP, penguinzzz, DTK and 2 others like this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, get that one.

5. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

Just came across this on Facebook. It's quite peripheral, but I thought some people here might enjoy seeing it. Posted by Steve Cushing, host of Blues before Sunrise.

I’ve got a problem and I hope maybe somebody here can help. I have another book of Blues interviews coming out from the University of Illinois Press. I have a chapter included that doesn’t have an accompanying photo and I hope someone might provide a photo. I have an interview with Collenane Cosey(Clark) Mrs Cosey won a contest held by the Decca Label to write a hit tune for Louis Jordan. She wrote The Ration Blues and won the contest. Ironically Ms Cosey never got a copy of the Ration Blues 78 as there was a material shortage at the time. She wrote the tune, she won the contest, she never saw the record! She also started the Kool Label and issued the earliest Billy Boy Arnold record. Ms Cosey died at 100(!) a few years ago and my contact was her son Blues/Jazz guitarist Pete Cosey, who also died on the operating table a few years ago. So in place of a photo of her I need a picture of the 78 label. There are pics on-line but all way under 300dpi needed to reproduce in print. I would need the image to be scanned at 600dpi at least. Any help will be appreciated – Thanks!

Yesternow likes this.
  6. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Cheers!

Lonson likes this.
  7. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

There’s an entertaining piece by Barry Finnerty about his all too brief time with Miles, in his online biography. No love lost with Bill Evans! Would have been nice to hear him play at least one solo.

Barry Finnerty

mx20, DTK, jfeldt and 3 others like this.
  8. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

Yes, no Christmas cards for those two! Finnerty had hoped to solo on "Ursula," but Evans continued to blow and you can hear the two of them battle it out on the track (around 6.35). I agree it's a shame that he didn't solo on the album.

DTK and penguinzzz like this.
  9. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

The CD version I have from the 'Perfect' box has the same 9 tracks?

10. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

Yes: "Jean-Pierre" (long version), "Back Seat Betty", "Fast Track", "Jean-Pierre" (short version), "My Man's Gone Now," "Kix"and three extras from Japan 81 concert: "Fat Time," "Ursula," "Aida."

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Damn, I think I need to check out We Want Miles and Miles! Miles! Miles! one o' these days- might give me a bit more appreciation for this period...

DTK likes this.
  12. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

13. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

If you hear some thunder today that's because Miles is playing Tatu (part1) with
    And
    Next time I play Dark Magus it will have another meaning. RIP Reggie.

14. crispi

:wantsome::edthumbs:

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

We Want Miles is a must :cool:. Be forewarned about Miles' shaky performance on Miles Miles Miles! though.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  16. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Enjoyed We Want Miles. Not much to add but I quite like this era so far.

17. crispi

We! Want! More! Miles!

rxcory and DTK like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Wouldn't Star People be up next? I really like that album.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

With "We Want Miles!" and then "Star People" we reach the era when as a Miles fan and collector waiting for every new release. . . disappointment really set in. There's a lot to love about these records and what's to come, but after suffering through the "retirement" I wanted more of pre-retirement quality. . . and until more unreleased earlier material was released just didn't get what I wanted. . . .

Musicisthebest likes this.
  20. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

For me Star People was the last really good Miles Album.

21. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Sorry to go backwards here, but two things I've always wondered...

Why was the drum machine, which was all over Dark Magus (and to great effect imo), not used nearly as much in the latter shows (Agharta/Pangaea)? It's one of the major reasons why I prefer Dark Magus over the other two.

And the images on the inside cover of Dark Magus seem to be video stills. Was the concert filmed? Or were these stills taken from another concert that was filmed? Or were they fake video stills created simply for the album?

Roberto899, crispi and fatwad666 like this.
  22. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Paging @rxcory

rxcory and crispi like this.
  23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I'm still here - barely :laugh: Thanks for everyone's patience! Here in the infamously rainy Pacific Northwest we only have about a 3-month wedding season every year, which as a side job (photographer) keeps me busier than I'd like. Making matters worse, I'm heading off to southern Utah for a much-needed vacation on Thursday.

But enough excuses already. After I'm done working tonight I'll be back with our next installment!

[​IMG]

ciderglider, crispi, DTK and 4 others like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Likely the photos are from the spring 1973 Japanese tour, where one concert was indeed filmed.

ohnothimagen and Zach Johnson like this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I did track down We Want Miles (not Miles!Miles!Miles! though)...it's alright, but I'm still not a big fan of that era or the band in general, to be honest. I did like the long "My Man's Gone Now", but other than that..."meh".
    Yeah, there's a pretty crappy quality version of that film on You Tube- one of the Tokyo '73 gigs, as I recall.

DTK likes this.