The Miles Davis album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jan 16, 2008.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Seven Steps is definitely one of the great stereo recordings of that era.

rxcory and Gabe Walters like this.
  2. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It's an overused term, no doubt. In the case of Miles, albums which document 2 or more line-ups are often tagged "transitional", so there is some truth in it if only 'cause he was transitioning from one band to another.
    Besides "Seven Steps", there's "Filles De Kilimanjaro"...after that it's a pointless tag as he worked with so many musicians for each project.

supernaut and jfeldt like this.
  3. crispi

I've heard "Milestones" being called transitional as well.

dino77 and jfeldt like this.
  4. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I would say that "transitional" could also apply to a blend of styles, and not just personnel. I'd argue that Seven, Filles, and Milestones are all transitional on both ways.

Crispi, thanks for keeping the thread moving. I don't have many thoughts on Seven Steps, it never grabbed me much, though I do find the live dates from this era interesting. I should give it another shot and just tell myself to focus to Tony Williams :)

dino77 likes this.
  5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yeah. Think it's only one band but maybe it's because some compositions are modal and some not.

6. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Let's not forget the wonderful 'Summer Night', cut during the 'Steps' sessions but used on 'Quiet Nights' to make it album length...

7. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I have only heard Seven Steps once and I remember liking it a lot. Will check it out again soon..

8. Nice to see this thread active again. Since I missed Quiet Nights I'm posting my thoughts about that album.

QUIET NIGHTS

There's some fine playing from Miles here and there, but most of the time Miles and the orchestra sound very confused. The pieces are over before they're really getting anywhere. Whether it's Columbia trying to cash in on the recent bossa nova success or Teo Macero trying to turn a few expensive sessions into something that could be released as an album, there is a reason why these tapes were left unreleased for 2 years and it should have remained that way. Bossa nova is the wrong kind of music for both Miles and Gil Evans. One of the rare Miles Davis albums from the 1955 to 1972 period that I'd really not recommend to anyone.

SEVEN STEPS TO HEAVEN

This is much more like it. Even though it's a bit of a transitional album for Miles Davis (apart from Miles, only Ron Carter appears on every track), it's one of his strongest albums of the 60s. George Coleman's and Victor Feldman contributions are just beautiful, I wish they had played with Miles more often. The title track also introduces us to 2 of the finest musicians who have ever played with Miles, Tony Williams and Herbie Hancock. Miles himself mostly excels on the ballads, the beautiful "Basin Street Blues" and one of the best versions of "I Fall In Love Too Easily" ever recorded. Highly recommended.

crispi, supernaut and Gabe Walters like this.
  9. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Seven Steps To Heaven

I love it. Great recording and exellent playing. However, I have to make a confession. I could live with a little less muted/sharp notes. In the right setting it is classy but sometimes I find myself missing the open tone.

crispi likes this.
  10. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This is probably blasphemy to some but I agree with you on the mute. I like it but would appreciate it in more limited doses.

crispi likes this.
  11. crispi

Guys, no doubt. I agree with both of you. The kazoo-style Miles of Someday My Prince and Seven Steps is not my favourite Miles. :angel:

12. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

The record was "Sketches of Spain". They used a later orange and gold pressing, which was briefly pictured in the episode. I immediately noticed it....my wife remarked that I am sick.... Using a later pressing was a controversy, because the producers were (and still are) meticulous regarding period details. For example, if a specific date was referenced in an episode, someone in production had verified the weather for the actual date to ensure that the characters were appropriately dressed.

BTW- I am a FAN of the show.

Both Quiet Nights and Seven Steps were transitoinal albums for Miles.

Quiet Nights was the end of the Gil Evans/ Coltrane/ Modal band. The recording collected bits and pieces of what was already recorded, along with a few new tracks to create a complete album. Musically it sounds great, but there is no over-riding theme or consistancy to the music.

Seven Steps has one foot in the past, but clearly shows the future ahead. Again, everyhing sounds good, but it fails to reach the trancendant heights achieved previouslly and also in the future.

dino77 and supernaut like this.
  13. crispi

[​IMG]
    Miles, 1963

14. crispi

[​IMG]
    Miles at Columbia, 1963

15. crispi

Miles Davis In Europe (Recorded Live at the Antibes Jazz Festival)
    Columbia CL 2183

[​IMG]

A live recording from July 27, 1963, with George Coleman on tenor, Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams on drums.

While Four & More and My Funny Valentine -- both taken from the same 1964 New York Philharmonic Hall concert -- are most often cited as this lineup's essential live recording, Miles Davis in Europe is a no less exciting listen. Already, the band's adventurous, avant-garde leanings are on display with the young Williams propelling Davis to scorching heights on the fast swinger "Milestones." Similarly, Hancock helps turn the standard "I Thought About You" into an impressionistic and free-flowing ballad allowing Davis to spread wide swaths of tonal color and deep note bends across the stage. Although Coleman would depart the group in less than a year, he proves himself here to be a muscular, keen improviser who deserved more attention than he got at the time.

— Allmusic review​

Starwanderer, Gabe Walters and dino77 like this.
  16. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with ANY of the live albums featuring Herbie/Ron/Tony and Coleman or Shorter.
    George Coleman is great. More lyrical than Shorter and almost as inventive.
    And Antibes is a good one.

Casual fans might be bothered about the similar repertoire on the live albums from this period, but each performance is unique in execution.

crispi likes this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

My favorite performance from Antibes is NOT on "Live in Europe," unfortunately. "I Thought about You" showed up in "The Columbia Years" box set and then on the "Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-1964" box set. That box set has fantastic sound. . . That's the way I listen to "Live in Europe."

Tony Williams. . . just makes me sit up and take notice from the first time I heard this lp (fake stere0) to the most recent time. Just a firebrand that kicked that band in the ass.

crispi likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"I Thought About You" is also on the current standalone CD. However, since the gig is too long to fit on one disc the final song, "Bye Bye Blackbird/The Theme," is only in the boxset. This isn't my favorite of the many Hancock/Carter/Williams live sets, but it's good and must have been astonishing when released.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

YES! Second Great Quintet, almost. Spinning my NM mono original LP now; copies can be found for very reasonable prices.

From the André Francis intro: "Avec le jeune Tony Williams à la batterie. Il a dix-sept ans." Translated: with the young Tony Williams on drums. He is 17 years old.

Seventeen!

crispi likes this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, thanks for mentioning that, I've never bought the most recent standalone CD. My only copy for a few decades was an LP copy.

21. I really like the recording as it appears on the Seven Steps Columbia boxed set, but sadly that appears to be the only place to hear the entire show as it was performed. "I Thought About You" is really missed on the original album and they've also removed "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "The Theme" which would not be performed again at the 1964 shows that make up the remainder of the boxed set. Apparently there are also edits on several songs. The full recording is an absolute beauty and deserves a wider audience than just the owners of the boxed set. Tony Williams is absolutely on fire (it's hard to imagine he was only 17 years old here) and George Coleman once again proves himself to be one of the greatest saxophonists Miles ever worked with. His tone on the tenor is just lovely and his soloing is adventurous but always melodic, fitting in perfectly with Miles' trumpet. I wish he'd stayed with Miles longer. Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter are not at the top of their game yet, but that of course would soon change.

dino77 and crispi like this.
  22. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Would a kind Pono Kickstarter backer let us know the price of the Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis, 1963-64 box set in the Pono music store? I'm hoping a lossless download will be less expensive than the CD set.

I was able to download the boxset for free from my local library, via Freegal, but it'd be nice to have it in lossless quality.

23. crispi

Some more images of Miles in 1963. Taken by photographer Jim Marshall.

[​IMG]
    Miles Davis in his New York City apartment. 1963

[​IMG]
    Miles Davis having a cigarette lit by Harry James on the backstage at the Monterey Jazz Festival 1963

[​IMG]
    Miles Davis talking sh**t, probably abut some chick, to Steve McQueen backstage at the Monterey Jazz Festival, 1963

24. crispi

Also probably 1963.

[​IMG]

25. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

So Four & More, My Funny Valentine and Miles Davis In Europe are all different selections from the same concert?