The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Well at least we know from Andrew S. That he has found the outtakes for the series at Sony as well as a better copy of the pilot. He said that he originally wanted to release a Blu-Ray of the pilot in the Super Deluxe version of The Monkees first album last year so I think we'll see some really great bonues on this new set!!!

MarkTheShark likes this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I want HEAD and I want 33 1/3 REVOLUTIONS PER MONKEE on Blu-ray Disc. What do you think the chances are of those two ever getting stand-alone release?

longdist01 and giantleech like this.
  3. Larry Seinfeld

Larry Seinfeld Forum Resident

I want Only Their Music Videos on Blu Ray
    forgetaboutit

heir Music Videos on Blu Ray.

4. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I don't think 33 1/3 would benefit from the Blu-ray treatment, as it was shot on fuzzy vintage SD video. It's good to have it as part of the set, but don't expect
    it to look anywhere near as good as the rest of the (film-sourced) material will.

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I want the set, but not for that price. Prices will level off.....they usually do.

Upsiditus and audiomixer like this.
  6. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh yeah! I forgot about the 1997 reunion episode - it'd be nice if that were included for completeness. :)

nbakid2000, Mark Nelson and D-rock like this.
  7. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

I've pre-ordered mine. It's there for the taking and it's not as if I haven't triple dipped on a release before. Will set some $$ aside every month until release and then it'll be paid for. We have enough of a heads up about this. I've thought for a while that the series deserved a proper release so I'm looking forward to it. It's there for the taking for those of us who do want it. As with everything else, it will wind up in the secondary market at some point so if you don't get it now, I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up sometime down the line at a better price point.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I have to wonder how the alternate soundtracks were dealt with in timing. I know some tunes were chopped to match the timing of the visuals, which would mean that there would be no "alternate" film editing going on, so the episode would just have a simple alternate audio track, but if frames were snipped for time constraints, then obviously simple branching would not work.

10 bluray discs for 58 TV shows, a special, and a movie, seems like a LOT of data for said content. When factoring in the DVD editions (including Head and 33 1/3), you end up with 11 discs, so one has to wonder what else they're giving us aside from HEAD outtakes. I dare to dream about some alternate rerun edits, but I'm not holding my breath. Keep in mind though, that this set will be *it*. I am highly doubtful that we will ever see this stuff remastered again, so I'm willing to bet that what we get is what we will have for the rest of time.

(Hoping for the Screen Gems logo to be restored!)

Side note: I own a 35MM print of an ABC-TV Saturday Rerun ("Find The Monkees", the one with Carl Ballantine) and the editing is interesting to look at in hindsight as to how things were done. The original negative was duped, and the dupe print itself was chopped down for time constraints and content. For instance, one of the repeat gags of Peter's face changing color was dropped (time), as well as the shot of the guys outside of NBC Los Angeles (content). The leader actually has the airdate scratched into it (I would have to check as to what exactly it was). The cold open was moved to AFTER the credits (Credits/Cold Open/Act 1). The 2nd season opening was spliced in, and retains a bit more color than the actual episode (different film stock fading differently over time). The interview at the end was dropped, and in its place the Yellow-Shirted I'M A BELIEVER lip-sync was inserted. Commercials are also included, as is an episode of MULTIPLICATION ROCK at the end of the 3,000' reel. It literally is a slice of TV rerun visuals that you rarely see intact here in 2015, and for *that* reason it's really fascinating.

Oh, and one night I ran it after-hours at the theatre I work at.....VERY cool to see off of film on a big screen! :uhhuh:

McLover, Dave112, Suncola and 12 others like this.
  9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I had forgotten about the additional time available on Bluray. That may be a good sign!

Me too! I know it't the OCD in me coming out, but the shows seem incomplete without it. Maybe it's a bigger deal for me since the local station that showed the reruns in Chicago in the 1970s and 1980s used to try and leave off every closing logo from every show, as if it was a matter of policy. Then when the shows were remastered on video, that logo was replaced with other logos for other distributors.

Fascinating info! This confirms the Season 2 intro was used then. And also, it may explain why in syndication, when they remastered the shows on video in the mid-1980s, some of the early episodes started with the theme song, which was indeed placed before the cold opening on the cut syndicated versions.

That brings up something else -- the "Success Story" episode (which as an aside, I will never be able to watch again without thinking of Davy's death) :( has the writer and director credits at the very beginning of the cold opening. It's the only episode that has it that way. Anyone have any idea why?

That 35mm reel would be very cool to see! Awesome!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    McLover and greelywinger like this.
  10. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Especially since the two distinct sources Rhino has to work with are at least two to three times removed from the original 2-inch quad video master. It would be great though if that original videotape has been found in the ensuing years.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  11. MarkTheShark

One other thing -- the episode with the fortune-telling lady and her daughter who enters a talent contest with Davy -- there are two different cuts of it. The original version has been shown on IFC, and the "blurred version" is the one released on video. (Not 100% sure but I think the "blurred version" was for the summer 1967 reruns.) Forum member HELLO LARRY pointed this out to me, I didn't even realize it: Some of the dialogue is apparently different between the original and "blurred" versions of the scene in question. I hope we get both versions on Bluray.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  12. MarkTheShark

That would be great, but what are the odds it would still exist and be playable today? If anyone could track something like that down (or at least find out where it went) it would be Bill and Andrew.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No thought from me, ordered!

14. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Gee where were the 35mm negs when they sold those expensive dvd sets???

2trackmind, goodiesguy and Sunset Sam like this.
  15. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I'm not sure. The recent monkees Deluxe CD has never dropped in price and in a recent Rhino sale was the only product for which there was no discount available. Monkees are priced at premium rates on Rhino

16. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Mark - I have an NBC summer 67 16mm print of this show and it starts off exactly as you mentioned. I have always been wondering this myself as to why this was set up differently than the all of the rest of the season 1 episodes. Wish I could see what transpired the night this episode first aired to see if perhaps there was something the networks may or may not have aired for the first couple of minutes to off set the way this episode was set up.

17. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

That is correct Mark. I know some of the shots were different as well between the two prints however there also appears to be different takes of this one bit of dialog.

If you all look at this link (starting approximately 12:22 in) from the blurred version, Davy says "There's the woman that predicted all this".

In the 'uncensored' version here (at approximately 1:25 in) Davy says "There's the lady that predicted all this".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdbX58miT_U

greelywinger likes this.
  18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Hopefully, a standard edition will be released after the initial excitement has worn off from the deluxe version. They recently did that with the 1966 Batman DVD complete series box, where the first version included a collectible mini-Batmobile similar to a Matchbox car or a Hot Wheels. For most of us, the DVDs would suffice...

19. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Do I own the DVD's? Yes!
    Did I like the "Head" movie and "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee" TV special? No, not really!
    Do I care about all the bonuses and special packaging? They're nice, but not really!
    Do I need this set? No, not at all!
    Then why do I want it and why am I going to pre-order this tonight? Damn!

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

Hard to beat that Batman box and it had more episodes and the batmobile! I want the Monkees car toy in this box for $200.

melstapler likes this.
  21. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

I always loved how the very beginning seconds of this episode has the Monkees playing live on set. No miming there! And sounding pretty dang good too! :)

goodiesguy and Grand_Ennui like this.
  22. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

If I caught the right thing it may be that cleavage was blurred because those censors were/are real hardasses.

23. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I got the Batman BD set when the price came down. I've never thought there was a comparison with the Monkees show, and still don't. For me, the Batman TV series was always both silly and artistic, while the Monkees TV series was just silly. (IMO)

Myke likes this.
  24. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Yeah, I ordered 2. One for me, one for my wife. So there won't be any arguing and fighting over it when the inevitable divorce occurs. :hide:

25. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

The unblurred version of Two Many Girls showed up on the Disney Channel in the UK in the mid 2000s. This was a video copy. I had previously seen it on the BBC years before (1980s), but that was a speeded up film version.