The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Who has listened to the Zilch podcast? What are the highlights?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

it's pretty jaw dropping stuff.

chad

D-rock likes this.
  3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The complete performance of Listen To The Band from the 33 & 1/3 special, the Monkees appearances on the Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell shows, the Oh My My music video, the video of Alternate Title (Randy Scouse Git) that was shown only in England, outtakes from the TV show, Head and 33 & 1/3 and a special 45 of rarities. And that's just a small sample of what to expect in this set!

4. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

5. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I get that. But where does one see complaints on the site? Paying with paypal usually always means an immediate payment...that's not just a Rhino thing. Their site does address charges to cc.....most cases (it states) won't be charged until shipment. Although it does warn against exceptions.

Edit: I see Rockwizard posted a link.

6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

There will be an option to play many of the videos from the tv show stand alone.
    Many of the episodes will have the alternate audio option from later airings
    If all goes well an 80s and 90s boxset will be done including stuff from MTV
    The packaging will be similar in size to the handmades but thicker

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Heard also an unseen vid of Davy performing "Someday Man" '69 on some Dick Clark show. Music bag?

And the 7" single will be "Goin' Down (with live TV vocals from ep)" and "Star Collector (Alt TV version"). Better sourced transfers of these from Sony?

wayne66 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I missed the end. Any word on a MOTM box?

9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

With a lenticular moving pic of the guys in the rainbow room? I ask cause to be honest... I took my Ambien to sleep then put my ear buds in and listened. Fell asleep of coarse but caught parts.

10. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

No-nothing mentioned about that yet.

Yes, that is what they said...

D-rock likes this.
  11. modrevolve

I forget..does the Hollywood Squares appearance of the three remaining Monkees at the time exist or are there only still photos?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

unless something recently showed up, the stills are all that there is.

13. modrevolve

Also mentioned on the podcast..
    Three types of figures coming out..Monkee Men, plain clothes and red shirts.
    Also a reissue of the 60s comic book.
    There wasn't enough time for a replica monkee mobile to be included in the boxset but will be available next year at some point.
    There will be 50th Anniversary dates. Didn't mentioned of Nez will be involved or not.

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  14. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Is this the one that was on the recently found Top Of The Pops video which is in horrible shape but also includes an otherwise lost Pink Floyd appearance? In the podcast, Andrew says they found the original film of the "Randy Scouse Git" clip (under the UK title "Alternative Title") and it's in colo(u)r, while it would have aired in black and white.

Both edits of "Too Many Girls" will be included -- furthermore, they found the original night of broadcast version with commercials in 35mm and confirmed the "blurred version" was the originally aired version.

This is sounding really awesome!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    goodiesguy, Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Any mention of this SPER-DUPER BR BOX being also available on DVD?

16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

No.. They did hint that it could show up later in the year (2016) at a discounted price but without all the bonuses and bonus disc.

17. Alternate songs? :thumbsup: The blu -ray set sounds amazing (according to the Zilch podcast). Pre-ordered. Fook it. :cheers:

EDIT: Can I get those Sam & The Goodtimers action figures with the Mexican bull ring play set? Step it up, Rhino.

EDIT 2: I'm down with an 80s & 90s set. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  18. Sandoval has such a good relationship with SONY it seems, I wonder if he can do up a proper Starsky & Hutch set on blu-ray.

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

MarkTheShark and Grand_Ennui like this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I hope they're able to include the "Laugh-In" stuff too...

D-rock likes this.
  21. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Hmmm...maybe. According to the IMDB, Warners now owns all "media" rights to Laugh In so it's not out of the realm of possibility Andrew can access, if not utilize, the footage since Rhino is a Warner subsidiary.

(By the way...I find it interesting that "The Johnny Cash Show" was a Screen-Gems production. I wonder if that's how the Monkees got on there to begin with. Columbia Pictures sure had their fingers in a lot of pies back then. :p )

I'd be more anxious to see the unaired segments the Monkees filmed for the second episode of the Laugh-In "spin-off" Turn-On which was cancelled just after it's premiere. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn-On) That show was also from the Laugh-In producers and they seemed to have kept their library reasonably well maintained so maybe it's "there" if Andrew has permission to look.

The Hollywood Squares shows outlook may not be as bleak as thought to be either. According to this website a boat-load of late sixties-era video masters are known to exist. http://www.classicsquares.com/reruns.html Interestingly, both this website and the IMDB say Sony presently owns all "media" rights to the show, a nice little quirk of ownership and masters storage that might work in our favor. I'm sure Andrew is on this.

And as a personal "not-quite-on-the-record" aside, I will **swear** I saw the Monkees' appearance on Hollywood Squares on the Game Show Network in the period the website sketches out. As I remember it, they weren't called on much and when they were, what little they did do seemed forced, uncomfortable, and fell flat. But memory is a funny thing.... :sigh:

22. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

In the Zilch podcast Andrew talks about finding footage that he considers one of the most significant Monkees-finds in recent memory. He wouldn't quite say what it was, just that it was incredible. I thought it might have been the uncut "Listen To The Band" 33 1/3 footage but he talked about that directly so I'm not so sure.

Could he have found all the original 16mm Phoenix, AZ concert footage shot for the Monkees On Tour episode? To me THAT would be a mind-blowing discovery. A multi-camera document of a full Monkees concert from their peak of fame. A personal Holy Grail that I always felt had a chance of being possible. (The impossible Holy Grail being the 1968 Japan concert footage.) I can't imagine they didn't film (and audio record) the whole concert

I'm drooling over all these possibilities and "bombshells"...drooling I tell ya!! :drool:

wayne66, Grand_Ennui, Galley and 3 others like this.
  23. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I speculated elsewhere that maybe, just maybe, they finally located some of the session reels for either Headquarters and/or PAC&J. But I would "settle" for Phoenix concert footage or the Japan concert! :righton:

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Man, I can't even put into words how psyched I am for this box set! In light of all of the material they have unearthed (the sheer volume of HEAD outtakes alone is mouth-watering), they should consider pushing back the release date so that worthwhile material isn't left out.

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  25. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Does the $199.98 include shipping in the US?