The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. King Edward

King Edward Well-Known Member

Hoping a cheaper alternative gets released at a later date, I can't stomach $200 for what I'm getting in the box.

2. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Whether or not the films I supplied to Andrew will be used or not, most if not all of the 1st season episodes given were NBC prints that carried the peacock logo in the beginning, some with original commercials, and all had the original closing credits including the Screen Gems logo ending followed after by the NBC logo. I have not looked at these prints in over 25 years and it will depend upon Andrew's discretion if they're usable or not but believe these represented the summer of 67 prints that I own. Haven't heard back on how things are going but didn't surprise me that the release date was moved back further.

Grand_Ennui, BenB5150 and D-rock like this.
  3. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I'm shocked and disappointed that people are complaining about what looks to be an amazing set.

Have we been THAT spoiled???

goodiesguy, CMcGeek, klaatuhf and 4 others like this.
  4. Not surprised but wonder why it was bumped. Perhaps to coincide with the tour that is supposedly happening in April? I don't think it was to leave time to find more extras since Rhino decided to announce the extras in that press release. Or maybe they did that to ease the backlash of the new release date. Dunno.

My final piece on the matter is the set would be fantastic if they did nothing more than (finally) remaster the picture (and sound) from the best elements possible. Which they seem to have done. Sandoval is doing a great job and I doubt he ever purposefully leads fans astray or leaves extras off. He is bound by many other factors than just wanting to do/not do something. If I express disappointment in any one thing, that's just generally speaking (as in "I wish they could've found those elements." or "I wish they could've worked out a deal to include 'X' .")

Regardless, I've pre-ordered and am waiting to get my Papa Gene's Blues on in HD :cool:.

5. Probably exactly this.

6. shmenge7372

shmenge7372 Member

1. I am VERY excited about this set.
    2. As far as the extras and possible ommissions, note that the press release states "New" audio commentaries by Micky, Rodney, and Valerie for the episode discs which doesn't preclude old commentaries from being used as well. I would still not be surprised to see Brian Auger's commentary included although he is name is omitted.
    3. I do think Saturday morning reruns could be a catch all term. Note that the corporate marketing person writing this release probably has little to no knowledge of the subject matter so the fact that there was a distinction in soundtracks by era would not be prescient. Plus, the individual(s) approving the release may not be aware of these things as well.
    4. I have no explanation for the 'new' pilot's exclusion from the release other than I'm crossing my fingers. It would be awful if it was withheld for a non-limited release.

In short, I'm really happy this is coming out and with the list of extras as presented in the press release. Would I want more? Absolutely. But Ican live with what's on the list if that's all that's there although I still suspect we may get more.

I know I'll get blasted but I would have liked to see reframed 16x9 transfers in addition to 1.33:1 OAR I know this is blasphemous but I would like to see both aspect ratios, mainly because my zoom function does not work on my Epson 3020 projector when viewing blu Rays for some reason. Oh well.

7. No. According to the team it's a re-edit of the tracks already recorded because they can't legally use the one on the Criterion as is.

8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I remember a time not so long ago when this

was how I got to watch the Monkees TV show (after walking to and home from school, uphill both ways).

I also sprang for the $400 VHS set in the mid-1990s. How far we've come.

9. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Did Andrew (or someone else) give an interview where this was stated? I hadn't heard this. It certainly makes sense, though.

10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

The nitpicking about what isn't included is mind-boggling. Arguing that there should be alternate soundtracks for every single episode that ever had a variation? That the long-lost Joey Bishop show that no one has should be on it?? or that there should be commentaries by their stand-ins???

We are getting razor-sharp versions of every episode, plus Head, 33 1/3 RPM, all including never-before-seen outtakes -- let me repeat this, because it seems important -- we are getting outtakes from Head -- and from 33 1/3, a TV special that itself did not see the light of day for nearly 30 years. The thought of outtakes even existing seemed like a remote chance.

I get the feeling that Rhino could ship Micky, Peter and Mike themselves directly to some peoples' doors, and they'd still complain.

11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

It's the price tag and knowing this will likely be the only attempt at a deluxe TV set that has gotten folks microscoping it.

12. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

And the price is perfectly reasonable for what we seem to be getting. As MarkTheShark pointed out, it was $400 for the VHS set, and all indications are that this will be quite a bit better than that.

pablo fanques and Hutch like this.
  13. I think it was in the Zilch podcast two episodes ago. (Sandoval & Hughes)

14. To be fair I think the lack of songs is room for disappointment, especially since the songs missing seem to be the '67 ones that everyone remembers from the 80's mania. And owning Criterion's Beastie Boys video anthology, I know EXACTLY how good a release with multiple audio tracks can be (and that was just on DVD). Honestly, IMO the next most important thing to remastering the video would be to provide all the alternate songs, '67 and otherwise. For a group like this I don't think that's an unreasonable wish. I'm sure he'd include them if he could. HOWEVER Sandoval has been very opening in letting us know that couldn't be the case, and we all know why. Certainly not his fault.

As for the other complaints I don't really care. See my posts above.

although...Jones' stand-in IS providing commentary, so...:shrug:

15. ...I must admit, I'm hoping my complaints will sway them on which 10 alternate songs they will include. Sandoval said about 10, but not which ones. Maybe they're trying to decide which 10. They've got time now to pull a switcheroo.

I say You Told Me/The Girl I Knew Somewhere for Royal Flush and Forget That Girl for The Chaperone.

Don't care about the rest. Would be happy with just those three. You listening RHINO!?!?!

I wonder what it would be like to dub Pool It! and Justus songs into the series.

16. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Since You Went Away fits perfectly over Auntie Grizelda in "I Was a Teenage Monster."

cwitt1980 and Chip TRG like this.
  17. I'm ignorant enough to try and Wizard of Oz/Pink Floyd all sorts of songs over the romps.

18. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Let me know where you're gonna dovetail "She's Movin' In With Rico" into the series. Perhaps the Frodis romp from the last episode? ;)

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It's a stiff price point with repeat content.

There is a big difference between 2 mins and 2 hours of outtakes.

20. King Edward

Plus I think it may have been possible to put 33 1/3 RPM and Head on the same disc. One disc for the each of them seems like overkill to me.

21. Depends on how many audio tracks HEAD gets. It may have up to four. Also it's probably a tweaked port of the Criterion disc.

22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I wouldn't call it spoiled, but in some ways jaded. MANY bought the box sets on DVD. We *thought* that would be the best quality on those discs(until of course the BD's). NOW......they're saying the new set is mastered from the "original" tapes. WTF was used for the DVD's? Same stunt was pulled for the Dick Van Dyke box.

The box does look good, but I'm looking for a lower price point. In the case of the Rhino numbered set, I don't need all the bells and whistles. Just give me the discs.

23. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

the episodes haven't been remastered since the 90s vhs boxset, that's what was used for the dvd sets.

chad

24. King Edward

Agreed. Plus, those DVDs were quite expensive, especially in comparison to other TV DVDs released at the same time.

Galley likes this.
  25. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I'm not saying it's particularly hard in general. Putting aside the fact that we'd all do this at home for free, it adds time and cost in a professional sense.