The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Another cool shot from The Monkees Twitter page:

[​IMG]

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

3. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Yes. Yes. Oh Yes.

BeatleStair likes this.
  4. BeatleStair

Anyone know what the difference a work print and a WT?

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Having no direct visuals of what is in the boxes, I'm thinking "work tracks", as in audio masters?

Purely a guess....

BeatleStair likes this.
  6. BeatleStair

Oh interesting. That would make sense. They're different colors as well on the boxes. Not familiar at all with how prints would look for TV shows.

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yes... I don't own a Blu-Ray player but want this set, so it looks like the time to buy one might be coming soon... But even if I buy this Blu-Ray edition, I'm holding on to my DVDs of "The Monkees" TV series...

audiomixer and vince like this.
  8. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Hard to imagine how a Bluray would look better than the DVDs with this show.

audiomixer and Grand_Ennui like this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I've held out on getting Blu-Ray for so long.... but... I kinda want this!
    And, I'm not even a big Monkee-man!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

I agree: I think the DVDs of their series look great... Looking elsewhere, some people said they think the DVDs look awful: I don't see that myself at all... The only thing I would change about the original DVDs of the show (besides adding more content had it been possible at the time) would be having a "play all" option available and getting the volume equalled out between the titles menu and the episodes themselves...

Jose Jones likes this.
  11. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I believe the episodes are being restored.

12. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Much can be done these days when you scan original film elements in 4K.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The 60's Batman TV series is jaw dropping quality as shown in this split screen comparison.

14. colormesinatra

Take a look at what has be done to Pee Wee's Playhouse, using the original film elements and scanning them in HD:

goodiesguy and chilinvilin like this.
  15. colormesinatra

One last video to hammer in the possibilities of HD technology, with the Honey Mooners:

goodiesguy and chilinvilin like this.
  16. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

They were reissued in 2012 and the same as the 2003 ones.

Least w/ Blu-ray, you get HD and a higher res. And it's likely to be the last physical format. But never say never.

D-rock likes this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, it's worth it for the bonus "HEAD" stuff.

D-rock likes this.
  18. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

How about the audio on this? A big deal is being made of the audio on The Beatles 1+ blu-ray release. Will there be anything special on this set in this regard?

19. Grand_Ennui

Only announced as Blu-Ray...

20. Grand_Ennui

Gotta love their spelling: "Monkies"...

chilinvilin and BeatleStair like this.
  21. bmanley63

bmanley63 Forum Resident

Thank you for the side by side... that is definitely a persuasive argument for ordering the blu ray Monkees series (which I did the day it was made available). I am keeping my fingers crossed that the audio improvement will be just as impressive. As Andrew Sandavol suggests, this is an attempt to archive the series for the future, so I am confident sound and picture will both be exceptional.

22. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

I imagine if it's BRD (blu ray disc) the sound will be surround or close (or better hopefully).

The Beatles Hard day's night BRD had 3 different audio options (mono, stereo and surround).

Did anyone hear Andrew Sandoval's www.cometothesunshine.com latest podcast episode? 9th anniversary show.

He mention he's working on the Monkees BRDs and another annoucment surprise should be coming shortly!

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that "W.P." would stand for workprint or work pic (the rough picture showing how the shows were cut together, piece by piece, scene by scene), and the "W.T." would be work track (the temporary mono mix of the show used only during cutting). Traditionally, the workprint is labeled in black ink, and the work track would be in red ink.

Man, I happened thought about film cutting in years and years and years. Been too long.

I would be surprised if it was in 5.1, because TV shows made prior to the 1980s were always mixed in mono, generally 3 tracks for dialog, music, and effects (DM&E). It's true that you can pan the effects or add re-recorded effects, and you can also drop the entire mono mix out and replace it with a stereo track if it exists, but getting surround beyond that requires a lot of time and expense. It can be done -- all the Star Trek shows were remixed, as one example.

Note that in the case of comedy shows like The Monkees, there's a good chance there would be a 4th track for laughs, which was pretty typical in this era. My memory when I was working with the master 35mm mags on Get Smart was that everything was 4 track: DM&E + Laughs.

24. BeatleStair

Thank you for that!!!

mdm08033 likes this.
  25. Biggest news would be multiple audio tracks per episode (I.e. diff songs). Any definite word on that?

MarkTheShark likes this.