The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

At one point, a fan talked to Stu Phillips about having some of his score from The Monkees released commercially. Phillips claimed he had looked into something similar but found that the stems for the series mixed the score with either the laugh track or sound effects. This is all third hand from a Facebook discussion, but it seems possible.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's possible. I have run into projects where one track was used for FX and Music. I've also seen a bunch of movies where Track 4 was Foley FX (added sound effects to match human movement). Standards were kind of all over the place back then. I'm surprised that the studio didn't save all the elements for a hit show like this.

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Not that I have read. However, I did read a Facebook discussion on Andrew's page and someone offered him use of a print of an episode with a summer 1967 song redub. He said something along the lines that he may be able to use it and is still looking for things like that.

Which leads me to this question:

Why would a studio announce a release like this a couple months from now, and then go looking for elements? Wouldn't you want to have everything locked down and ready to go first?

Anyway, I'm sure it will be great. If they do get the alternate song dubs in there, that would be awesome. I just wonder how they would fit everything with various multiple audio tracks involved -- some episodes have multiple audio commentaries as well.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. Because: $$$$. It's almost a crowdfunding project. Anyway I'm really hoping for optional song selection.

EDIT: I am sure, however, that Andrew will do his best to make this worthwhile.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  5. MarkTheShark

Me too. In fact, aside from the HEAD outtakes, that would be the kicker to get me off the fence and pre-order this thing.

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Maybe they announced it early because Micky had already spilled the beans about it?

monkees paw likes this.
  8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thats interesting about the Stu Phillips comment. Thats something I always wanted, a Cd of all the music cues and tidbits that Stu Phillips did on The Monkees....some good stuff there.

9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

My thoughts as well...

chilinvilin likes this.
  10. Criterion Collection released a Beastie Boys videocollection where you could not only mix and match various audio versions of a video but also video angles. it shouldn't be too hard for optional songs during the romps.

11. MarkTheShark

Okay, but some of the episodes have multiple audio commentaries. Take for instance #32, "Monkees On Tour." It has audio commentary by Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork and Bobby Hart, all recorded separately. So that's three distinct audio tracks. Now, throw in the Saturday morning rerun version which has "Steam Engine" and "Words" (the closing credits would be changed to reflect the revised soundtrack as well). (I had to look this up -- the "Words" dub is an artifact from the NBC summer rerun version, which also replaced "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" with "Pleasant Valley Sunday.") So ultimately we're talking about six audio tracks here:
    • Original 4/24/67 audio with "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" and "I'm A Believer"
    • Michael Nesmith audio commentary
    • Peter Tork audio commentary
    • Bobby Hart audio commentary
    • 8/21/67 rerun soundtrack with "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Words"
    • 12/18/71 rerun soundtrack with "Steam Engine" and "Words"
    (Source: http://monkeestv2.tripod.com/season1/ontour.html)

And that just covers the mono TV soundtracks of the era, let alone any hypothetical stereo remix audio (I could do without the "fake surround stereo" of the original DVDs).

Bluray provides more room for stuff like this, right? I really hope they find a way to include the various versions of the episodes with different songs. For this episode in particular, I remember "Steam Engine" being in there and (as great a song "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" is) the DVD version just sounds somehow "wrong" to me. Obviously, the original audio is the priority, but the redubs are significant to Monkee fans as well, especially since many of them feature unique mixes of certain songs (actually, Rhino has released a lot of those as bonus tracks on various CDs). But still.

12. I hear ya. But the Beasties' set was only DVD and had up to 5 different audio tracks and 4 video angles for a single song (Intergalactic, I think. Can' t remember.) I can' t imagine this not being done over 8 blu ray discs.

Also, not every episode has commentary or optional songs.

Personally I need 'You Told Me' in episode 1.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    monkees paw and MarkTheShark like this.
  13. MarkTheShark

Just for kicks...going through the episodes...

#1 "Royal Flush"
    • Original 9/12/66 audio with "This Just Doesn't Seem To Be My Day" (long TV edit) and "Take A Giant Step"
    • 5/8/67 rerun audio with "You Told Me" and "The Girl I Knew Somewhere"
    • 2/13/71 rerun audio with "Apples, Peaches, Bananas And Pears" and "Good Clean Fun"
    • Audio commentary by James Frawley
    • Audio commentary by Davy Jones
    • (Note: Davy Jones introduces episode #44, "Hitting The High Seas," on the DVD The Monkees: Our Favorite Episodes. But the episode he's actually talking about is "Royal Flush.")
    #2 "Monkee See, Monkee Die"
    • Original 9/19/66 audio with "Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day" and "Last Train To Clarksville"
    • 5/1/67 rerun audio with "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" and "Last Train To Clarksville"
    • (Note: Also repeated during the Saturday morning run; song details unknown)
    #3 "Monkee Vs. Machine"
    • Original 9/26/66 audio with "Saturday's Child" (different vocals) and "Last Train To Clarksville"
    • 5/22/67 rerun audio with "You Told Me" and "Last Train To Clarksville"
    • 10/25/69 rerun audio with "Listen To The Band" and "Last Train To Clarksville"
    • Audio commentary by Peter Tork
    • Audio commentary by Bob Rafelson
    • (Note: Peter Tork introduces this episode on the DVD The Monkees: Our Favorite Episodes.)
    To be continued...

sean4554, goodiesguy, seeknom and 2 others like this.
  14. MarkTheShark

#4 "Your Friendly Neighborhood Kidnappers"
    • Original 10/3/66 audio with "Let's Dance On," "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" and "Last Train To Clarksville"
    • 5/15/67 rerun audio with "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You, "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" and ?
    • 5/30/70 rerun audio with "Do You Feel It Too," ? and ?
    #5 "The Spy Who Came In From The Cool"
    • Original 10/10/66 audio with "Last Train To Clarksville," (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone," "The Kind Of Girl I Could Love,"
      "All The King's Horses" and "Saturday's Child"
    • 6/12/67 repeat version with "Randy Scouse Git" replacing "Saturday's Child"
    • 9/26/70 repeat version with "All Alone In The Dark" replacing "Saturday's Child"
    #6 "Success Story"
    • Original 8/19/66 audio with "I Wanna Be Free" and "Sweet Young Thing"
    • 5/29/67 rerun audio with "Shades Of Gray" and "Sweet Young Thing"
    • 10/29/69 rerun audio with "French Song" and "Sweet Young Thing"
    #7 "Monkees In A Ghost Town"
    • Original 10/24/66 audio with "Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day" and "Papa Gene's Blues"
    • 7/17/67 rerun audio with "Words" and "Papa Gene's Blues"
    #8 "Don't Look A Gift Horse In The Mouth"
    • Original 10/31/66 audio with "Papa Gene's Blues" and "All The King's Horses" (different vocals from common released version)
    • 12/6/69 rerun audio with "Papa Gene's Blues" and "I Never Thought It Peculiar" (alternate mix w/o horns)
    #9 "The Chaperone"
    • Original 11/7/66 audio with "This Just Doesn't Seem To Be My Day" and "Take A Giant Step" (different vocals)
    • 2/21/70 rerun audio with "Midnight Train" and "Take A Giant Step" (different vocals)
    #10 "Here Come The Monkees" (re-edited pilot episode)
    • Original 11/14/66 audio with "I Wanna Be Free" (fast version), "I Wanna Be Free" (slow version) and "Let's Dance On"
    • 8/7/67 rerun audio with "I Wanna Be Free" (fast version), "Shades Of Gray" and "Let's Dance On"
    • Audio commentary by Michael Nesmith

sean4554, goodiesguy and seeknom like this.
  15. MarkTheShark

#11 "Monkees A La Carte"
    • Original 11/21/66 audio with "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" and "She"
    #12 "I've Got A Little Song Here"
    • Original 11/28/66 audio with "Gonna Buy Me A Dog" and "Mary, Mary"
    • 6/26/67 rerun version with "Gonna Buy Me A Dog" and "For Pete's Sake"
    • 3/7/70 rerun version with "Gonna Buy Me A Dog" and "Steam Engine"
    #13 "One Man Shy"
    • Original 12/5/66 audio with "I'm A Believer" and "You Just May Be The One"
    • 8/14/67 rerun version with "Forget That Girl" and "You Just May Be The One"
    • 1/24/70 rerun version with "If I Knew" and "You Just May Be The One"
    #14 "Dance, Monkee, Dance"
    • Original 12/12/66 audio with "I'll Be Back Up On My Feet" and "I'm A Believer"
    • 3/21/70 rerun version with "If You Have The Time" (alternate mix w/o Moog) and "I'm A Believer"
    • Audio commentary by James Frawley
    #15 "Too Many Girls" (Original airdate 12/19/66 featuring "I'm A Believer")
    • "Unblurred" version (as seen in 1970s syndication, Comcast "on demand" and IFC)
    • Re-edited version with some "blurred" scenes and alternate takes of other shots (as seen in 1986-present reruns and on video)
    • (Note: Which is the originally aired version, the "blurred" or "unblurred?")
    #16 "Son Of A Gypsy" (Original airdate 12/26/66 featuring "I'm A Believer")

#17 "The Case Of The Missing Monkee"
    • Original 1/9/67 version with "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" and "She"
    • 7/24/67 rerun version with "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "She"

seeknom likes this.
  16. MarkTheShark

#18 "I Was A Teenage Monster"
    • Original 1/16/67 audio with "Your Auntie Grizelda"
    • 9/13/69 rerun audio with "Good Clean Fun"
    #19 "Find The Monkees" (Original airdate 1/23/67 featuring "Mary, Mary," "Sweet Young Thing" and "Papa Gene's Blues")

#20 "Monkees In The Ring"
    • Original 1/30/67 audio with "Laugh" and "I'll Be Back Up On My Feet"
    • 3/14/70 rerun audio with "Do You Feel It Too" and ?
    #21 "The Prince And The Pauper"
    • Original 2/6/67 audio with "Mary, Mary"
    • 10/3/70 rerun audio with "99 Pounds"
    #22 "Monkees At The Circus" (Original airdate 2/13/67 featuring "Sometime In The Morning" and "She")

#23 "Captain Crocodile"
    • Original 2/20/67 audio with "Your Auntie Grizelda" and "Valleri;" story takes place in "the land of Kirshner"
    • 7/10/67 rerun audio with "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Valleri;" story takes place in "the land of Schneider"
    #24 "Monkees A La Mode"
    • Original 2/27/67 audio with "Laugh" and "You Just May Be The One"
    • 5/9/70 rerun audio with "Oh My My" and "You Just May Be The One"

sean4554 and seeknom like this.
  17. MarkTheShark

#25 "Alias Micky Dolenz" (Original airdate 3/6/67 featuring "The Kind Of Girl I Could Love" and "Mary, Mary")

#26 "Monkee Chow Mein"
    • Original 3/13/67 audio with "Your Auntie Grizelda"
    • 7/31/67 rerun audio with "Words"
    #27 "Monkee Mother" (Original airdate 3/20/67 featuring "Sometime In The Morning" and "Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)")

#28 "Monkees On The Line"
    • Original 3/27/67 audio with "Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)"
    • 11/1/69 rerun audio with "Little Girl"
    #29 "Monkees Get Out More Dirt"
    • Original 4/3/67 audio with "The Girl I Knew Somewhere"
    • 2/7/70 rerun audio with "Steam Engine"
    #30 "Monkees In Manhattan"
    • Original 4/10/67 audio with "The Girl I Knew Somewhere," "Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)" and "Words"
    • 5/23/70 rerun audio with "Acapulco Sun," "Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)" and "Words"
    #31 "Monkees At The Movies"
    • Original 4/17/67 audio with "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You," "Last Train To Clarksville" and "Valleri"
    #32 "Monkees On Tour"
    • Original 4/24/67 audio with "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" and "I'm A Believer"
    • 8/21/67 rerun audio with "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Words"
    • 12/18/71 rerun audio with "Steam Engine" and "Words"
    • Audio commentary by Bobby Hart

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    sean4554 likes this.
  18. Using unreleased songs to redub in 1971? What's that all about? Who was caring enough at the time? Also I (almost) stand corrected on every episode being redubbed

D-rock likes this.
  19. MarkTheShark

Some of the choices are intriguing, particularly where they dubbed in a song that wasn't originally released. I can only guess that "Steam Engine," "If You Have The Time" and "Apples, Peaches, Bananas And Pears" came very close to being released in 1969-71, but didn't make the final cut.

Also remember, the redubbed song info comes from Aaron Handy III's exhaustively researched site. I believe his info originally comes from TV Guide listings of the era, which are a very handy resource but are not 100% immune to possible error. For instance, there are a few cases where the same episode will be listed as having aired on two consecutive Saturdays. My first guess is, that cannot be correct. It's more likely a case of an episode being pre-empted after TV Guide went to press, and then bumped to the following week. But who knows? I suppose it's possible that "new redubs" first appearing in a 1971 listing might have been shown earlier but not detailed in the listings the first time around. But who knows?

D-rock likes this.
  20. MarkTheShark

Known Saturday morning song redubs for Season 2 shows (plus notes on DVD audio commentary):

#40 "Monkees Marooned"
    • Original 10/30/67 audio with "Daydream Believer" and "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round"
    • 9/19/70 rerun audio with "Do You Feel It Too" and "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round"
    #42 "The Wild Monkees"
    • Original 11/13/67 audio with "Goin' Down" and "Star Collector"
    • 1/17/70 rerun audio with "Goin' Down" and "Looking For The Good Times"
    #43 "A Coffin Too Frequent"
    • Original 11/20/67 audio with "Goin' Down" and "Daydream Believer"
    • 2/20/71 rerun audio with "Oklahoma Backroom Dancer" and "Daydream Believer"
    #44 "Hitting The High Seas"
    • Original 11/27/67 audio with "Daydream Believer" and "Star Collector"
    • 4/18/70 rerun audio with "Oh My My" and "Star Collector"
    • (Note: Davy Jones introduces this episode on the DVD The Monkees: Our Favorite Episodes, but the episode he's actually describing is #1 "Royal Flush")
    #48 "Fairy Tale" (Original airdate 1/8/68 featuring "Daily Nightly")
    • (Note: Michael Nesmith introduces this episode on the DVD The Monkees: Our Favorite Episodes)
    #50 "Monstrous Monkee Mash"
    • Original 1/22/68 audio with "Goin' Down"
    • 11/14/70 rerun audio with "Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye"
    #52 "The Devil And Peter Tork"
    • Original 2/5/68 audio with "Salesman" and "No Time"
    • 2/14/70 rerun audio with "I Never Thought It Peculiar" and "No Time"
    #54 "Monkees In Paris"
    • Original 2/19/68 audio with "Star Collector," "Love Is Only Sleeping," "Don't Call On Me" and "Goin' Down"
    • 8/12/72 rerun audio with "Oh My My," "I Love You Better," "Tell Me Love" and ?
    • Audio commentary by Bob Rafelson
    #55 "Monkees Mind Their Manor" (Original airdate 2/26/68 featuring "Star Collector")
    #57 "Monkees Blow Their Minds" (Original airdate 3/11/68 featuring "Valleri" and "Daily Nightly")
    #58 "Mijacogeo"
    • Original 3/25/68 audio with "Zor And Zam" (alternate version)
    • 11/8/69 rerun audio with "I Never Thought It Peculiar"
    • Audio commentary by Micky Dolenz
    • (Note: Micky Dolenz introduces this episode on the DVD The Monkees: Our Favorite Episodes)

sean4554 and readr like this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So... this will only be for sale on the Rhino site only?

22. MarkTheShark

As of right now, yes. Most likely there could be a different version released later and more widely available, probably without the 45.

23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, according to Andrew Sandoval in his book (page 251), "Apples, Peaches, Bananas and Pears" was considered but passed over (thankfully!) for The Monkees Present.

D-rock likes this.
  24. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

They did?

25. MarkTheShark

They did what?

monkeetrade and Grand_Ennui like this.