The Monkees (debut) Rhino Handmade Super Deluxe 3-CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fspadafora, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fspadafora

fspadafora Forum Resident Thread Starter

I could not find this posted anywhere here but it appears they just announced that a 3CD deluxe Rhino set of the debut album.

From Facebook:

Heads up - VIP packages for The Monkees In Concert with premium seating, a commemorative collectible ticket and a pre-order of the latest Rhino Handmade boxed set of our debut, THE MONKEES (SUPER DELUXE EDITION) 3 CD set go on sale tomorrow morning exclusively on Monkees.com! Watch this space...!

Anyone have more details?

Peter Pyle, Hep Alien and pro beatles like this.
  2. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

This was announced at the Convention. From what was reported, the 3 disc set will be out in August.
    Let the track list speculation begin...

Hep Alien and greelywinger like this.
  3. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Again, maybe this information could have been announced BEFORE tickets started going onsale yesterday?

Looking forward to the new set, though.

4. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Just ordered my VIP tix up on TM for Bethlehem. Nice seats in row 2!!! So the VIP is up and running.

5. tentimesblue

tentimesblue Active Member

Does anybody actually think those April/May 66 sessions actually happened? (the ones where they recorded about "100 songs") Surely if they did they would be some kind of Holy Grail, like Headquarters but less polished. Before the drumming lessons even. Can you even imagine?

Moonbeam Skies and Hep Alien like this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

oh no...I stopped at the Birds Bees Box....it's just too much

HAmmer likes this.
  7. zen

zen Senior Member

Is that because they're starting from the top? lol
    Easy to ignore those re-releases when it's beyond a certain "cut-off" point.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  8. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Dear Rhino,

Please, no more expanded editions with horrible bright mastering. Just the original album with decent sound for once. Thanks.

Joshua277456, billygtexas and HAmmer like this.
  9. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I'll assume everything on the two-CD reissue will be featured. I wonder what else will be thrown in for good measure?

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I got the 4 - 2 CD Deluxe editions of the 1st 4...then when I heard the famous mono Birds Bees would be on the set I had to get it...then the next 3 came out and I just couldn't justify it...(plus the 1st 2 of the deluxe Head are on Youtube which I was able to freemake) ... I've pretty much bought every single Monkees Rhino record and CD since they came out and I just had to stop....LOL....overload. My standard Monkees joke is, I've given Rhino records so much money they owe me a record contract.

11. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Wasn't Friday Music going to re-release the 2-CD version of this?

12. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

maybe those friday music reissues are dead in the water now. all that came out was headquarters and that was months ago.

13. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't make sense anymore.

That said, I'm really glad Rhino is continuing with the Monkees releases. Something to look forward to. :)

echosend and PhoffiFozz like this.
  14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Here's hoping that More of the Monkees, Headquarters (Sessions reissue?), and PAC&J get the Handmade treatment, even though God knows how they could possibly fill a third PAC&J disc when the two-disc set seemed like such a stretch.

Hep Alien and belardd like this.
  15. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Three words: Instrumental Backing Tracks!!!
    I'd love to have these for the first four albums, and they'll only take up half of one disc. Although, many of us already have the backing tracks on the old Headquarters Sessions Box.

16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It'd be nice to have a set dedicated to just rarities as it seems we've been rebuying the same CDs for 2 decades or more

17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I will never complain-just look at other artists that have basically no outtakes or bonus tracks at all. We Monkee fans have more than any other artist that I know of...

18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I imagine they have but out more outtakes(good ones at that) than the amount of songs on the original 9

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I agree. The last 5 years have been amazing for Monkees fans. The Rhino Handmade releases, the group tours, the resurrection of Nesmith, the show DVD rerelease, all of it. It's much more than I ever thought would be available in such a short time frame. Special shout out to Andrew Sandoval, who played a massive role in all of this.

20. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

My own feeling is they did, but they weren't "sessions" in a real recording studio as such, and far, far fewer than 100 songs were tried or laid down. I think any tapes that were made were primitive, one microphone-in-the-middle-of-the-room mono recordings made in a rehearsal space or similar. Nothing that could have been released as an actual record, though it would be incredible to hear them all these years later. I just have my doubts they'd be anything more than historical curiosities.

Moonbeam Skies, D.H. and Hep Alien like this.
  21. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

According to the e-mail I received, the 3 cd set of The Monkees first album will be out in November.

Hep Alien and Keith V like this.
  22. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Yes, they changed the info from the convention to the email. Happens all the time, right?
    Just gives me more time to anticipate yet another new Monkees release. How lucky can we get? I really thought Present would be it.
    Now, it's time to start speculating on what "new" tracks will show up...
    Some TV versions (like Saturday's Child and All The King's Horses)
    Backing Tracks (like the 3rd unreleased version of I Wanna Be Free with the light percussion)
    Demos (like the Davy I Wanna Be Free)
    Alt versions (if we are lucky the Clarkesville vocal session with each Monkee attempting the lead, and The Theme song session where all 4 try to sing it)
    Snuff Garret sessions (don't we all wish):love:
    The above mentioned early 66 rehearsals
    The Trip to Clarkesville concert (prior to the first airing of the TV show)
    what else????

23. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I'll have to see a tracklist first I think. I've got all the other handmade sets (apart from Headquarters Sessions) and the 2cd sets for the first 4 so it's not an automatic pre-order for me yet. Like deadbirdie says though I'm really appreciative of Rhino's treasure trove of Monkees audio they've made available over the years. I wish all my favourite bands received such respect.

Hep Alien, Pizza, Mark Nelson and 2 others like this.
  24. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, I mentioned a awhile back that perhaps the 1965 Colpix recordings... or alternate versions of these recordings. If they can include a Davy demo from 1965, why not some previously unreleased music from him and Mike (IF anything has been found)? Certainly Mike's earlier version of All The King's Men with John London could be a possible contender. Ron

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Not out till November.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.