The Monkees (debut) Rhino Handmade Super Deluxe 3-CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fspadafora, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

like the funhouse sessions, re-release headquarters sessions!!

anthontherun likes this.
  2. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

One of my fav albums of all time. Hoping for an Super Deluxe set with Mike hat in it, Die cast Monkee Mobile key chain, program from the first tour, repos of Monkee bubble gum cards, Three CD's and Vinyl LP both in mono and stereo. Like this will ever happen....

3. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Any news of a track listing yet?

Scope J likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I want a Pool It! sessions box.

And no, I'm not joking! :)

5. readr

readr Forum Resident

If they are going to make Super Deluxe box sets for the first 4 albums, wouldn't they just re-format the Headquarters Sessions?

I would do the stereo (remixed, possibly Arista version) album and stereo outtakes on disc 1. The mono album and mono outtakes on disc 2. Sessions on disc 3. This follows the other Super Deluxe formats. And the 4th (bonus) disc would be the Jeff Barry produced New York tracks and sessions/unreleased backing tracks. The bonus 45 would be All Of Your Toys b/w The Girl I Knew Somewhere (Mike's version), just for the jacket alone. That would be perfect.

swedwards1960 likes this.
  6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

7. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I wish you were.

j/k - in fact I've never heard Pool It because I've not read anything good about it.
    Any Pool It fans out there want to comment on it's good points?

8. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

"Heart and Soul"
    "Whole Wide World"
    "Every Step of the Way"
    "Gettin' In"

That's it.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Best thing about Pool It is it came out when albums were limited to LP length

JuanTCB likes this.
  10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

One word... Rico :winkgrin:

Seriously, I reach for 'Pool It' more than I do 'Justus'

Darryl

11. echosend

echosend Forum Resident

"Heart & Soul", "Gettin' In", "Since You Went Away" and "Midnight."
    Seriously, is there any word yet on this set? When is it now due? November?

Seminole likes this.
  12. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the deluxe 15 CD set which I'm sure will be released in 40 years. ;)

13. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

14. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

I hope the Birds, The Bees, The Monkees set gets re-released or comes down in price. WAY too high in the second hand market. The sad part is people aren't buying them at the high list prices. The same listings are sitting there not moving and for months! Can't they get the hint of they lower the price it will sell?

15. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I wish this Monkees project would have commenced with this Deluxe work-up when they started the re-release campaign in 2006 (right?). I know it keeps the new product wheel spinning, but yeah...double and triple dipping into the pockets of the fan is getting a bit much.

anthontherun likes this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ditto. I still love Pool It. :)

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It has a handful of weak tracks, but it has a lot of pretty good songs too. It's well worth taking a chance on. Give it a try.

18. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

[QUOTE="greelywinger, post: 10779285, member: 14737"
    Seriously, I reach for 'Pool It' more than I do 'Justus'

Darryl[/QUOTE]

If they released a new album it could be easily superior to these two. The bar is pretty low for new material. I would love a new album and think it could be excellent!

19. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I seriously retch for "Pool It"!

NOS300B likes this.
  20. Last week, mostly as a gag I listened to Pool it from start to finish for the first time since 1988--liveblogged the experience on the Zilch! Podcast Facebook group (starts abut a 4th of the way down the comments). Wound up giving it a C. Truly, it's not terrible, but also not excellent (with the exception of Heart and Soul and maybe 1 or two other tracks). Mostly it was just disposable and interchangeable like most late '80s pop was.

21. IainLee

IainLee Well-Known Member

I think Midnight is a fantastic song. Get tin' In and Rico are unlistenable.

22. readr

readr Forum Resident

I recently got a new turntable, and was transferring my Rhino's to digital files, and while monitoring Pool It! I found I was enjoying it quite a bit. Maybe it was nostalgia, but I really like most of the tracks. Long Way Home was good, this time. Maybe because Davy's gone, but I liked his stuff more this time around. Mickys' tracks are all good. I really like Since You Went Away (classic Monkees-style Peter track). I'll Love You Forever also seems like a classic Monkees' track now. Heart And Soul is just excellent, as always. Anyway, so they don't close this thread with all the Pool It! posts........we should be getting some kind of tracklist for the Super Deluxe debut soon......maybe in the next 4 to 8 weeks.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah! I think Midnight is my favorite song on the album.

24. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I sent an email to Dr Rhino asking for an update yesterday. So far, no response...

25. readr

readr Forum Resident

Dr. Rhino will know when Andrew Sandoval turns in his final draft. I'd be asking Andrew, but, he won't tell. It's good to keep asking, though. Keep the pressure going. The tracklist probably won't reveal very much, I'm guessing, either. We know we're getting Whatever's Right (backing track)...they almost put that on the first deluxe. We know we're getting the I Wanna Be Free demo. We know about the alternates from CTTS. I would like more backing tracks, especially Papa Gene's Blues and other Nesmith produced tracks. I expect, but aren't aware of, more promos. I would really be excited if they used the Arista and LTTB-era remixes for the stereo album (and for the next 3 albums, as well....though Andrew should really try to sync I'm A Believer, Sometime In The Morning, Laugh and Hold On Girl somehow with the backing tracks, ala the Headquarters Deluxe of A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You.

BobT and cwitt1980 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.