The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I like Hipster quite a bit, acid rock, retro power pop, whatever it is. Unexpected Hendrix like solo, & all wrapped in a tidy 3.30 song.

But the real question is, where can a guy buy those other 2 bonus tracks before suffering a breakdown. There must be mp3s of Torks tune & the Partridge somewhere, Walmart tower records somewhere.

I vote Magdalena version 2, next

2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It's a GOOD week for music-new Monkees and new ABC:edthumbs:

BigManRestless likes this.
  3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I would think they will get a top 20 chart debut out of this album. The guys in the group and Rhino have done about all that they could in this day and age to get the word out. Good luck to them.

pablo fanques likes this.
  4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yep and the top 15 in sales currently on ITunes is promising too! That shows it is not all of us over 40's buying it. Yeah lets hear from some people who have gone to the record stores for the listening parties? Kudos to Rhino, now lets get the 3 guys to do a late night TV appearance on Kimmel, Fallon etc?

driverdrummer likes this.
  5. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Major dilemma. Don't know if I should listen on the iPod while I go get some beers after my SAHD duties are done, or if I should wait until everyone is in bed and I listen on the Senns. Decisions, decisions.

I bought the two bonus tracks on iTunes and have been scouring the net for the other two to no avail. It's going to be rough to not listen to all of the songs at one sitting.

6. Wingsfan2012

or do yourself a big favor and ditch the inferior downloads or streaming and grab the CD then get the vinyl in August :agree:

7. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

CD comes today and I'll be getting the B&N lp the day it comes out! Believe me, I am no fan of streaming or mp3's. I wants the real deal!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  8. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

FYI - The FYE version I purchased in store had a $12.99 price sticker, but rang up $9.99. Go get it.

9. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Yep! Their sale price is $9.99, with the blue vinyl reissue of the first album on sale for $19.99. I got the reissue also, and it was the next to last copy. FYE was open for only 30 minutes at that point, and the guy told me that the vinyl was flying out, followed closely by the CD of the new album.

I was walking back into my office with the bag, and one of the vendors we work with noticed and he was going to get the new album in a little bit!

I love this! The last time I saw this much attention on them was for their 20th Anniversary! They were the first band I got into seriously at that point, and I'm enjoying this!

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

My only gripes are that we couldn't get "Terrifying" because we needed something terrible from Jeff Barry for some reason.. And we couldn't get an unheard song with Davy's older voice (to match the rest) because Neil Diamond had some songs on "More of the Monkees" so he needed to be included too. Pretty much they didn't go by strongest songs but by who wrote them.

11. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

The Tork bonus track A Better World isin't very good. Whoever said it was great has some brass.

The production is interesting, it builds, Torks just not a good lead singer, it's not horrible, it's just not good

12. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

My capsule review: At least it's not embarrassing.

13. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

1. Nobody else who's listened has said one thing about any of these songs being "terrible".

2. I don't think any recent Davy songs would really make this a cohesive sounding album.

3. You're harshing our buzz.

14. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I was the 3rd to buy it at local FYE today. Looks like they were understocked as they had only 2 left!

15. So he's the one singing Wasn't Born to Fallow I assume. Pretty bad.. Strange arrangement.

Keith V likes this.
  16. Wingsfan2012

Awesome, 1 hour to go until purchase....! FYE here I come, the CD Bose car system is ready to go!

17. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Can someone please post a picture of the debut on blue vinyl? Would love to see what it looks like!

18. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Waaaaait a second, you're advising me against inferior quality downloads and you're listening on BOSE!? Yikes. :shh:

19. Wingsfan2012

What is wrong with Bose? Sony and Bose is what I have used my whole life!

MikeInFla likes this.
  20. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I guess it's okay for the car. Don't know what you got at home because you haven't filled out your info like you're supposed to :tsk:
    :p

21. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

First gen here too and I agree it is a pleasant surprise. In fact, I myself think it's awesome. But I dunno, it does look like it's in the top 20, at least. And the guys are getting press and tv coverage, what with Mike on CBS on Sunday morning, and Micky and Peter next Wednesday on GMA, is it? (Someone correct me as to which shows..) So it appears to be a big enough deal.

GREAT thread, isn't it?! Winding to and fro, and packed with lots of info.

22. Wingsfan2012

LOL.....Sony 5.1 shelf system from about 12 years ago that still sounds great! Right before they started phasing them out

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. Wingsfan2012

I think it is all 3 on CBS Sunday morning this Sunday. The promo picture has all 3

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

My initial reaction is that only two post-reunion Monkees songs (That Was Then and Regional Girl-- sorry, always loved it) even come close to the quality of even the lesser songs on this album. Third time is absolutely the charm.

And I'm seeing them tonight!!

25. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Good luck getting the cd. Tell us how the bonus track is!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.