The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

What's your point?

2. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

we discuss music here... right?

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yep, and that's why a great band like The Monkees gets discussed here.

4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

but this album is not really the work of a band..right? BTW: thank you for at least discussing. :targettiphat:

5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Can say the exact same thing about Pet Sounds and a LOT of The Beach Boys catalog which used the very same Wrecking Crew session musicians that the Monkees, Sonny & Cher, The Byrds, Frank Sinatra and many, many other artists from the LA music scene used.

Yet, The Wrecking Crew, who played on many classic and beloved songs and albums, are highly regarded in the music industry as artists in their own right.

So, what's the big deal?

factory44, Tord, Rocketdog and 3 others like this.
  6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I guess no big deal, but the mid 60 is a bit different from 2016. The Monkees made a big deal of moving away from session musicians at one point. That is my primary point.

7. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Even though this is off-topic, I totally agree with you. Loved it. I also think his new readings of "The Kind Of Girl I Could Love" and "Sweet Young Thing" on the other tours were exceptional. I would almost love if they did an update on older songs and use the new arrangements and segues that we heard.

D-rock likes this.
  8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Do you know anything about their discography? Seems not. Take a look at who played each session for every single album of theirs. As was said before, this was not an uncommon practice in the 60's, or any decade for that matter.
    I'm sure we are all quite happy to know your opinion on this album. No need to keep posting.

9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

That one point was Headquarters. By the next album, PAC&J, Micky only played drums on one track. The album after that, BB&M, was largely the work of session musicians, and it stayed that way for the rest of the band's original run. Justus is the only album without session musicians (the liner notes to Headquarters referred to "occasional extra bass," but Chip Douglas played most of the bass on that album because Tork was occupied with other instruments). Good Times wasn't some huge step backwards for the group. They used session guys for the same reason that they went back to session players in 1967 - it's just a faster way to get the tracks down. The Monkees' scandal wasn't that they used session players, but that they admitted doing so - which threatened to expose a lot of other groups that preferred to keep that a secret.

10. bob chabot

bob chabot chab

oops that's three

HarvG likes this.
  11. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Your shtick is so old, tired, and pathetic. Please try and live up to your screen name.

12. You're pointing out the obvious to those of us who enjoy the music. All fans of The Monkees know this very, very well.

Yes and they moved back to them when they needed to generate material and couldn't always be in the studio at the same time, etc.

They made the decisions about which songs they did, collaborated with those who would play on their sessions, wrote the material or, if not, than chose the material for each album, etc. they worked together as a team to generate their albums. Did they have absolute control? No, but they did get as much control as possible.

Bands such as Fountains of Wayne, XTC, Weezer, etc. all cite the "sound" as being influential. Ultimately, they controlled their albums from Headquarters on.

Were they a self contained unit creating everything in a vacuum without others? No. I will close on Andy Partridge's comments:

Andy Partridge: The same thing and a totally different thing; that makes other pop groups special and unique. They had a style and a way of singing and playing that is VERY recognizable and delightful. Their acting in the TV series was funny and so genuinely lovable.

It made a very deep impression on me; this goofy kid looking for something to emulate and use to pull himself up and out of poverty, and something to conquer a lack of confidence with. They were a great template for me.

No Monkees, no XTC.

- See more at: Q&A: Andy Partridge Talks About the Monkees |

13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I won't engage in this silly discussion in 2017. I will simply say that the Monkees participated in and helped create this amazing achievement of an album this year, that was more wonderful than I could possibly imagine. I sincerely thank everyone involved in the startling success!

14. Thank you!

15. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

“People in rock ’n’ roll take rock ’n’ roll very seriously. You can’t have too much fun!” - Micky Dolenz

16. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Good Times is not really the work of a band, however it is still a great listening experience! Do you enjoy it?

I've never thought of the Monkees as a "band," more like a project. This project has resulted in well written, well played and well sung material (for the most part) on a catalog of albums that goes from truly awesome to terrible.

I've always been a first six albums kinda guy, then later detesting Pool It and never really getting into Justus. Good Times was a pleasant surprise!

Yes, there's lots of studio guys all over the album, but that's true of all my favorite Monkees songs.

17. TimM

TimM Senior Member

This might be the best post in this thread.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep. It's probably most accurate to simply describe the Monkees as a "group." They are more or less in the same category as the Temptations, the Supremes, or the Mamas and the Papas. No one refers to any of those acts as "bands" do they? With the Monkees the lines get somewhat blurred, because they were playing a band on their fictional TV show, and they sometimes did do recording or touring projects where they acted as a band. But overall, they were primarily a group rather than a band.

Question for @No Bull ... do you consider Steely Dan or Abba to be bands? If so, what distinguishes the way their records were produced from the Monkees?

paolo, j_rocker and No Bull like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Have you ever heard the album "The Monkees Talk Downunder" (the one with the 1968 press interviews from Australia)? On it, David Jones says he prefers for them to be called "an act", which makes sense, because they were basically an entertainment troupe...

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think the big difference between the Monkees and Abba or Steely Dan is the fact that the later two wrote all their own music and worked much more together in creating a group sound. On many songs on the various Monkee albums there might very well be only one Monkee involved, and sometimes then only on vocals. I am a huge Monkees fan but I have a very clear opinion of what they were, and I don't think they were or are a rock band. That has never in anyway diminished my love for their music.

marmalade and bob chabot like this.
  21. readr

readr Forum Resident

Absolutely, a troupe like Monty Python, The Kids In The Hall, Broken Lizard, etc., The Monkees were that but centered in music as much as sketch comedy. Each player brought something to the troupe. It was an variety act.

Hep Alien and Grand_Ennui like this.
  22. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I think that is why after 50 years the Monkees remain popular and delivered an amazing album last year.

They are an enigma- rock/pop band, tv show, actors, songwriters, musicians, producers, entertainment troupe, touring act etc........They are all of that and more!

23. Grand_Ennui

That's a good way to describe them...

marmalade, Wingsfan2012 and readr like this.
  24. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

has this album sold enough for maybe another album? yea I know some of you are going to say its a pretty good final statement but I feel there is enough love for another album !

marmalade, Tord and jfmlaugh like this.
  25. Grand_Ennui

Let's get a deluxe version of "Good Times" with the album proper and the "bonus tracks" all in one place before we worry about anybody doing another album...

Hep Alien, marmalade, Keith V and 2 others like this.