The Monkees - Monkee Business picture disc mix differences

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michelle66, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently was able to borrow a black vinyl test pressing of the first edition of "Monkee Business" (one that my turntable can actually read), so I decided to make a "complete" mini-LP of this title - with both the '82 and '86 versions on one disc.

As I was compiling the tracks, I discovered that the reissue replaced most of the earlier versions - not just the obvious few fans have long discussed.

So, I figured the Monkee fans here might like to know about these differences.

Here we go...

1. Porpoise Song - The 1982 version has the mono single mix. The 1986 reissue features a stereo mix of the single version.

2. Star Collector - The standard stereo mix was used on the original. The "RE" version has an alternate mix (sans the opening "hello!"), which is quite different. (AFAIK, this mix is only on MB and has never been released on CD.)

3. It's Nice To Be With You - Both versions use a mono mix, and I couldn't detect any notable differences.

4. D.W. Washburn - Both LPs have stereo mixes, but the '82 original is a very wide stereo. The '86 reissue centers the stereo field a little.

5. Steam Engine - Crummy-sounding mono mix (lifted from the TV soundtrack) on the original. The later album has a mono mix from a superior source. (The TV version is missing the opening snare drum hit, yet it's got an artificially extended intro.)

6. Tema Dei Monkees - Both albums copy the mono Italian 45, yet the '82 version ends with Micky singing "Ci ciamano i Monkees" four times. For the '86 RE version, it's faded earlier, so the line can be heard only three times.

7. Pleasant Valley Sunday - The mono single mix was used on both LPs. Pretty much the same on each record.

8. What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round? - The '82 original uses what I think is the standard stereo mix, but with reversed channels (banjo and bass on the right; guitar and drums on the left). The mix on the reissue has the instrumentation in the usual locations, yet this mix is longer than any other mix I have (with Mike getting in one more "What am I doing..." before the song fades completely out). The only other mix I have that gets as close is the one on the "Listen To The Band" box, which fades out after Mike sings "What am...")

9. She Hangs Out - Both albums have the mono single mix, but the '82 LP fades out as soon as Davy utters the line "she's gonna be mine...so fine". A little more music can be heard after this line on the '86 RE version.

10. Love To Love - Both LPs feature this song in mono, but I think Rhino was able to get a better source tape for the reissue as it's got a bit more fidelity than the original.

11. Someday Man - Stereo mix in 1982. For the '86 version, a mono mix was used which is preceded by a bit of studio chatter.

12. Goin' Down - Mono mix on the original. Stereo for the reissue.

Here are a few pics of the mini-LP:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D-rock and Shawn like this.
  2. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Pretty neat. Great job on the artwork. The variations of mixes never ends. I never see this one floating around at record stores. Hope to hear them one day.

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Great work.
    Haven't had this in years.

Darryl

4. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Fantastic as usual! Makes me want more Monkee releases!

5. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I have the '82 version (bought it back when the "original LP's" Rhino vinyls came out) and never knew about the '86 version. Since learning about it I have been obsessed with getting this (while hoping that everything eventually comes out on CD so I won't have to persue it).

6. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

I did not even have a clue about this album originally being released back in 1982.
    I did have the version that came out in 86, But it is long gone.

Thanks for the info Michelle66!
    Outstanding work on this mini album cd by the way.

I have had a chance to check out all of your Mini album cd versions of the original Monkees Colgems lp's
    And the artwork is fantastic.

I almost wish Rhino had reissued them the same way..Colgems labels and all!:agree:

7. Delramos

Delramos Active Member

As always, great work Michelle. Hope you're well.

8. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

I have the original '82 version. Sooooo much out there for Monkees fans. I think your new back cover is more aesthetically pleasing.

I hope you don't mind Michelle, but I've supplemented your notes with Andrew Sandoval's notes, which I've put in bold below.

1. Porpoise Song - The 1982 version has the mono single mix from disc. The 1986 reissue features a stereo mix of the single version from tape.

2. Star Collector - The standard stereo mix was used on the original. The "RE" version has a longer alternate stereo mix (sans the opening "hello!"), which is quite different (AFAIK, this mix is only on MB and has never been released on CD.)

3. It's Nice To Be With You - Both versions use a mono mix, and I couldn't detect any notable differences.

4. D.W. Washburn - Both LPs have stereo mixes, but the '82 original is a very wide stereo. The '86 reissue centers the stereo field a little.

5. Steam Engine - Crummy-sounding mono mix (lifted from the TV soundtrack) on the original. The later album has a mono mix from a superior source (from tape). (The TV version is missing the opening snare drum hit, yet it's got an artificially extended intro.)

6. Tema Dei Monkees - Both albums copy the mono Italian 45, yet the '82 version ends with Micky singing "Ci ciamano i Monkees" four times (2:30, from disc). For the '86 RE version, it's faded earlier, so the line can be heard only three times.

7. Pleasant Valley Sunday - The mono single mix was used on both LPs. Pretty much the same on each record.

8. What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round? - The '82 original uses what I think is the standard stereo mix, but with reversed channels (banjo and bass on the right; guitar and drums on the left). The mix on the reissue has the instrumentation in the usual locations, yet this mix is longer than any other mix I have (with Mike getting in one more "What am I doing..." before the song fades completely out). The only other mix I have that gets as close is the one on the "Listen To The Band" box, which fades out after Mike sings "What am...")

9. She Hangs Out - Both albums have the mono single mix, but the '82 LP fades out as soon as Davy utters the line "she's gonna be mine...so fine". A little more music can be heard after this line on the '86 RE version. The '82 release is from disc. the '86 release is from tape.

10. Love To Love - Both LPs feature this song in mono, but I think Rhino was able to get a better source tape for the reissue as it's got a bit more fidelity than the original.

11. Someday Man - Stereo mix in 1982. For the '86 version, a mono mix was used which is preceded by a bit of studio chatter.

12. Goin' Down - Mono mix on the original (mono long version 4:23). Extended Stereo (4:24) for the reissue.

9. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I have the first pressing, I found it in a record store in 1983, so I had not heard the differences until just last night. It is amazing that Rhino would have gone in and updated nearly every song on a reissue a copule of years later. It's things like this that set Rhino apart back in the day.A shame that the label for the most part is just a brand name now, the character of Rhino is dead...

10. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have a copy of this.....have not heard it since the 80s...lol

sean

11. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I bought the picture disc on release and remember finding a cassette in a cutout bin the late 80s and picking it up for the car. Playing it, I heard all the different versions, but had no idea it was reissued. I've never been able to find the RE LP.

12. Michelle66

Glad you like the art, but the "new back cover" is actually the back of the liner notes card I made (the front of the card shows that alternate shot). (The pics both show more fun at WLS.)

The scale of CDs and mini-LP covers is a bit different, so to better match the look of the original picture disc, an inner sleeve that holds the CD was made. This inner sleeve has the color shot on one side and the B&W one on the other.

13. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Question: If I find a picture disc of this lp, how do I know visually if it is the 1982 version or the 1986 version?

14. Michelle66

The reissue has an "RE" pressed into the runoff groove area (next to the matrix number).

That's the only way to visually tell. The sleeves are identical.

15. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

They were my favorite reissue label for awhile....

(now if they give us The Monkees Present box, it'll continue.. :) )

:doh: Doh! Now I see. Thanks! Great job! And it's good to have the extra info you provided, for sure.

16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

So am I correct that there is nothing on the '82 version that is unavailable elsewhere?

17. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Sounds like the big catch on the reissue is the alternate mix of "Star Collector". $60 on ebay. Maybe if Rhino ever gets around to releasing more from the first 4 albums, they could include that mix.

I don't see them including a longer fade of "What Am I Doin' Hangin' 'Round?" unless a new compilation of some sort is issued.

18. Michelle66

It just depends on how much of a completest you are.

The '82 version has the full "Tema Dei Monkees" Italian single version, a reversed-channel "Hangin' 'Round", and the TV mix of "Steam Engine" (with the extended intro).

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Thanks, Michelle. Nothing earth-shattering there!

20. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Great detective work Michelle!

I updated my site with all the USA LP releases (thanks to BenB5150), but beyond the Somday Man chatter, I knew none of this. I had been writing every seller who posted this record on ebay asking them to check the dead wax and I finally found one today. Can't wait to hear it!

Does the single version of "Tema Dei Monkees" differ from the LP version? I know you posted on the LP version a while back but the search engine here doesn't seem to be working.

Next up Michelle: the RE version of Monkee Flips?

21. Michelle66

You've never heard the single version of "Tema Dei Monkees"? You're really in for a "treat"! :nyah:

In order to get the minute-long TV/album version long enough for single release, the song was artificially extended by looping, as well as splicing in the middle section from the US album version of the Monkees' theme.

The edits are as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face...!

Someone posted the entire first version of Monkee Business to YouTube, so anyone can hear the single version if they'd like:

As for Monkee Flips, I don't have either version, so I can't help you with that one.

22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Side 1
    1. You Told Me
    2. Tear Drop City
    3. I Love You Better (Both pressings have the first drum beat cut off)
    4. Forget That Girl (Second pressing has some studio chat at the beginning -- someone is practicing harmonies -- "Happy..." -- and then Micky Dolenz asks: "Is President Johnson's son really Jan Berry?")
    5. Love Is Only Sleeping (Stereo on first pressing, mono on second pressing)
    6. Good Clean Fun
    7. Zor And Zam

Side 2
    1. No Time
    2. Oh My My
    3. Dream World
    4. Circle Sky (both pressings have the alternate vocal version -- the second pressing includes the bit at the beginning with someone saying "Yesssssss!" and some brief noodling on a keyboard)
    5. Little Girl
    6. Daily Nightly (Stereo on first pressing, mono on second pressing -- I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this and "Love Is Only Sleeping" were needle drops on the first pressing and from a mono master tape on the second.)
    7. Gonna Buy Me A Dog

Both have the yellow "Rocky the rhino" label. First pressing label is completely yellow. Second pressing has some white parts on Rocky -- his face etc.

Both have the usual audible tape dropouts on "Oh My My" (near the beginning) and "Good Clean Fun" (near the end).

PhoffiFozz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.