The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

I still don't have my BRD, I pre-ordered n fall of 2015!

2. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

I doubt work is finished on this project. Also, Sandoval is taking the Winter off, words from the man himself. Keep waiting...

Hep Alien and cwitt1980 like this.
  3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

He's probably Monkee'd out. Let him take his break. I wouldn't doubt it if he has had it done for awhile but needs to tweak a few things before production. I'll just be happy that he'll be devoting time to his Come To The Sunshine show. He just traveled the world and I guarantee he has lots of new records to listen to (and share).

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Eobard Thawne

D-rock likes this.
  5. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Since when does the project have to be finished for them to make an announcement?

marc with a c likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, as has been discussed Neil Young is an executive producer of this reissue, and he strongly believes that you never announce a reissue until the work on it is done and it's ready to release.

So you'll hear about it when you hear about it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Eobard Thawne

Just like making a movie ....

8. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

So is it likely that More Of The Monkees is indeed going to be the next Monkees deluxe box set?

Keith V likes this.
  9. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

For sure. John Hughes from Rhino said on the Zilch podcast that Andrew Sandoval has been working on it. I expect we will hear more very soon.

Hep Alien, Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

He also mentioned that they will be doing something with this one never done before. Some are guessing the 5.1 mixes Sandoval hinted about a while ago. Just hope that doesn't mean there isn't much in the way of unreleased and new alternate gems ...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. readr

readr Forum Resident

I would suspect they bypass the original stereo album section with something unique. I would speculate the hinted 5.1 mixes or at least a stereo remix.
    Andrew did new mixes for over half of the first album, and put them onto the bonus disc. Maybe this time, to not fill the space with remixes, he just replaced the original stereo album. That would be a welcome substitution......consider, speaking for myself, I have the original album stereo mix 3 times over on CD already (the original Rhino CD reissue, the Deluxe CD, and the recent 10 album CD box set).
    There are so many potential outtakes from MOTM sessions.....almost at par with the BB&M sessions. To free up some space for this SD Box Set would be understandable......and welcomed.

12. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

I'm up for including the original stereo mix, so we can include them in one comprehensive box...but, to your point, do not sacrifice potential outtakes for that and just make it a 4 cd set!

13. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, there aren't TONS of outtakes left from this era. Many were included on the first 2 CD set. And lots of unique TV mixes were used on the previous Super Deluxe Self/Titled set. I'm sure we'll hear more remixes (vintage 1966 and new) of some well known outtakes. Probably the unused Boyce & Hart backing tracks and/or demos... that sort of thing. Of course there's always hope that some more of Mike's early demos/recordings have been found. Speaking of, should Who Do You Love and Get Out Of My Life Woman be recognized as official Monkees tunes since they were recorded around the time of the inaugural sessions in 1966? Why else would Mike be recording fully produced songs this late as a solo artist? Hmm, what else? A partial vocal overdub session tape for Mary Mary surfaced awhile back. If that came out of nowhere, maybe a few other session reels have been found? Not so sure THIS is the album to feature 5.1 surround sound, but we'll take what we get. Ron

14. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I think they should kept up with the trend they started on the Headquarters Sessions box set where they gave us the instrumental master backing track for every track on the album.
    I realize the overall format for the Headquarters set is slightly different from the rest of the Monkees deluxe series but I was really bummed when the subsequent box sets only contained instrumental takes from the tracking sessions and not "finished" master backing tracks.
    I was psyched when I got the box set for the first album and there were around a half dozen master backing tracks.
    Personally I would have liked to have a new stereo mix for each album but maybe that's a possibility for the future. More Of The Monkees could definitely use a good remix!

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

My favorite Monkees album. Even love the olive green cover!

Chew and Myke like this.
  16. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Mazzy loves an olive in his Martini!

17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

The problem is a great many master backing tracks, along with session tracks are missing. Many tracks only have the stereo and mono masters available.
    MOTM was recorded in mostly 2 places-Los Angeles and New York. The LA Tracks were recorded much better than the NY tracks. Andrew mentioned in his book during the Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow session that the producer told Neil Diamond that his guitar was in tune "Close Enough For The Monkees". Tracks like Sometime In The Morning had distortion from the first session. Sonically, I don't think MOTM will be great for some tracks. However, I am hoping for a superior new mix of I'm A Believer.

motownboy and Hep Alien like this.
  18. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Possibly contractual obligations?

19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't think so. Wasn't his contract bought out by Screen Gems when the pilot aired? I'm wondering if he was getting antsy and asked if he could use some studio time to work on his producer skills? Either way, the songs seem to have pre-dated the first official session by just a few weeks at most. The songs included the same session guys he used throughout 1966. Ron

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  20. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

21. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Not that cryptic at all! Thanks for the great news.

22. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

23. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not so fast...maybe he's just sprucing-up the desk where he left all those Monkees sets a couple years ago...

25. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

I hope this involves a remix.

empirelvr likes this.