The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

It's already very common knowledge that a super deluxe is being done so no surprise at all. Discussed recently on other Monkees threads on SHF after the guy from Rhino was interviewed on a podcast and kinda announced it. Gotta keep up with the Jones' folks (pun intended). :)

Hep Alien, D-rock and factory44 like this.
  2. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Probably my least favorite album of theirs. But I'm in the second that they put it up for presale.
    What are we all hoping for on this one?

DaveJ and npgchris like this.
  3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Hoping for some remixed tracks (Sometime In The Morning and I'm A Believer), lots of the session backing tracks ,the NY Sessions (Jeff Barry and Denny Randell),the Nesmith produced Mary,Mary session where he got hacked off at the others,the Davy and Peter lead vocal session for I Don't Think You Know Me (Miles too high for me-David Jones). Lots of very good possibilities here. Not one of my favorite albums, but like BB&M, this set could change that.

Hep Alien, D-rock, Keith V and 3 others like this.
  4. It could be titled More and More of The Monkees.

5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

BobT posts a lot of good suggestions/ideas... But one specific backing track I'd like them to include is the one for "The Kind of Girl I Could Love"...

6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I can see the significance of the Headquarters Sessions box since that's the point where they became a real band, majorly playing their own instruments. Sessions for More of the Monkees would mainly involve session musicians doing retakes with vocal overdubs by one Monkee at a time on different tracks. Despite some really good songs ( "I'm A Believer", "Stepping Stone", "She", and others) as well as some very substandard ones ( "Laugh", "The Day We Fall in Love"), the album, for me, has a bit of a downer vibe and doesn't sound like they're enjoying the sessions. The debut album is a joyful blast of prime pop/rock, but I don't hear that joy on More of the Monkees. As an overall album experience, IMO, it's a textbook case of "sophomore slump."

7. readr

readr Forum Resident

Take another look at Andrew's pick. You see under some of the rubble the cdr's of reels......Valleri, Sometime In The Morning, etc., I'd like to hear those!
    We need to get this box soon.....it's been too long. Can't wait.

8. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Definitely looks like it, with the "Monkees Present" album box next to it.....which reminds me I still need to pick that one up...........

You think Andrew of all people would have a "More of the Monkees" album signed by all 4.....where is Nez's autograph???

9. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I told Micky at the Chicago Beatlefest 4 years ago (right after Davy's death and before the tour with Nez) that "Sometime in the Morning" is one of his best vocals and an amazing song. He said absolutely and he loves the song to this day..............

10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Another one of the better songs on the album; a Goffin and King gem. Micky went into a nice falsetto on that one.

Hep Alien and Horse Brunsby like this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Maybe Andrew didn't want to pay the meet 'n greet price for Nesmith's signature? :)

12. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

I wonder if they are finally going to make some improvements in the sturdiness of the box design after the Complete Series fiasco. It would be nice to get a Monkees Super Deluxe that isn't damaged for a change.

13. readr

readr Forum Resident

I've been waiting three years for this set.....those 3 treasured discs from the MOTM era......but, screw it all if they can't put them in a more sturdy box. Really, the box goes on a shelf and collects dust, but the music in these boxes will be enjoyed until we're gone. I'd like to keep encouraging these releases. I'd be nice to see this series through, great packaging or not. I'll settle for decent if it means keeping these releases coming. No real complaints here.

Hep Alien and Grand_Ennui like this.
  14. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Can't wait - for this and any other Sandoval-helmed Monkees projects!

15. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Have people had issues with the packaging on the Rhino Handmade CD releases? I have them all, and they're all perfect (as far as quality of packaging). The only packaging problem I was aware of was for the Blu-ray set.

16. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

great news. another one worthy of a pick up. now wanting a Boyce & Hart box set released in the next couple of years.

Hep Alien and factory44 like this.
  17. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Fancy threads that Sandoval guy!

18. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Either that or he's working on getting nezs sig on the cd

19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Nez once referred to it as one of the worst albums he had ever heard. Could it be that he may have refused to sign it? I've heard of some musicians doing that type of thing.

Hep Alien and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  20. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Don't 4 get dlx 4 hq & PAC & j ltd !

I'm hoping 4 surround remixes as allured on this forum a decade ago (DVD-a 2 compete w/ Fab Four?)

Maybe a cd/DVD of the phoenix concert ?

21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I had to stop at Birds Bees. It's just too much.

22. Grand_Ennui

Three out of five of the super deluxe boxes I own aren't damaged... "Instant Replay" has a split on the cover flap, and "Present" has a bent corner (not doubt damaged in shipment)... The other three, no issues...

I want these release to continue myself, even if they don't change the way they're packaged... (I have no real issue with the packaging on them anyway...)

D-rock and readr like this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Audio of the Phoenix concert could maybe exist, as it's out there in the world anyway in poor quality, but it's missing *a lot* of the vocals (they were dubbed in over the live tracks for the TV episode)... The concert itself was filmed, but I don't believe the whole thing would exist any longer-I'd guess what we seen in "The Monkees on Tour" episode is it...

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I love this album. Always surprised at how many speak poorly of it in the Monkees discography.

25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

This might be why...
    " I regard More of the Monkees as the worst album in the history of the world" – Michael Nesmith

Hep Alien, majorlance and Pizza like this.