The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I don't mind having a variety of mixes to choose from. I personally prefer wide L/C/R remixes (like the original 1st LP/Headquarters/Pisces) because it sits better with the original mixes, many of which cannot be redone. It's jarring going from an old stereo mix to a "pro-tools" mix. Those mixes sound more like early 70's productions than 1966. My only complaint is when these type of "vintage" remixes do not exist (yet). "Of You" is one of those tracks. "All Of Your Toys" is another one. Doesn't fit with the other "Headquarters" stereo mixes. Andrew chose to go the "vintage" route with most of the remixes on MOTM deluxe, which was a pleasant surprise.

Hep Alien and cloggedmind like this.
  2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I thought this set was a mono mix. And what of the ML 1 mix?

Edit: the ML1 mix is from '69? I thought the Presents mixes were the '69 mix/overdubs?

Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  3. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Yeah me too. I thought the super deluxe set was a mono mix. track 26, CD 1 says mono so how can the vocals be stereo?

FJFP likes this.
  4. WonkyWilly

You are correct. I was thinking of the 1st LP deluxe. Argh!

5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Ok, so the 2 cd set had the stereo mix? I remember it being in the "mono" disc but not labeled mono mix (or otherwise).

6. WonkyWilly

3-CD set of 1st LP has the stereo remix with 1966 vocal. My bad.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

It's very unlike me to buy anything and leave it sealed -- I am not that kind of collector. But, weirdly, when I started buying these sets I didn't have the time to listen to them, and I now have all of them still sealed! Help me!

Seriously though, I will unseal these and listen to them one day. I buy them for the music (although I understand that might be hard to believe from this photo).

[​IMG]

Beatlened, btltez, Hep Alien and 11 others like this.
  8. readr

readr Forum Resident

If you didn’t care to crack them open when they arrived on your doorstep, why not sell those OOP boxes for big bucks? I bet you could sell BBM/HEAD/MONKEES for close to 1000 bucks.

9. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

Don't feel bad Downsampled ... i have similar issues.

[​IMG]

I swear I will either trade or give these away as gifts. They do little good on my shelf.

10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Holy ****.
    I felt weird having an extra copy of ‘Head’ - I best sell it before you flood the market.

Sammy Banderas and rlp like this.
  11. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I'll take the Monkees self titled off your hands for double what you paid for it. :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Now I know why those are out of prints... Buying multiples for no playing ! :rolleyes: That's not really cool for those who'd like to get them for the music and not just collecting object... I hope you don't have to starve to do this ! :D

13. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I'll take one of the BBM if it's causing you grief... ;)

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I would take a copy of HEAD off your hands, depending on what you want for it? Shame you don’t need the Blu-Ray box. I have a second one, opened.

I was sent a second one, due to “packaging damage” (It was just the lenticular cover detached. It could probably be glued back easily enough) but the second one also arrived with the same (first-world) problem. I was thinking about selling one of them for maybe half the price of a new, unopened set. I figure someone here would likely take me up on that.

Most likely, you can get more for the HEAD box than I’m willing to pay. Would love to have it though, as I waited too long to buy it, and since it’s not easy to obtain via, um, “other means” either. Let’s just say I have a bunch of incomplete versions of most of the songs from that box sitting on my hard drive. It’s been that way for quite a while.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Wow. So many fans who'd love to own copies of these and would actually use them. I can understand an unopened copy each. But multiple? No offense, but that's kind of crappy.

16. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Agreed. They’re just sitting collecting dust while there are fans who would actually enjoy them.

rlp and smiley69 like this.
  17. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

I agree it is crappy ... which is why i will give them as gifts or trade them at some point.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

It seemed like for a while Head was easy to find and priced accordingly, even after it went OOP. I haven't looked in a while.

Anyhow, I have considered buying unsealed copies and selling these for profit, but that just seems like a lot of trouble. I will probably eventually take a day off, unseal all of these, and have a massive listening session. :eek:

Hep Alien and rlp like this.
  19. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

I am slowly migrating to hard drives and FLAC files on DVD-Rs for my collection. The only artists I collect are Zappa and Monkees. When I meet people who have similar interests, I like to turn them onto whatever I have been listening to. Like a good book, I will send them a copy and get their reply. Then they will send me copies of something they have been into lately. It is a nice way to humanize the experience.

Blimpboy and Gill-man like this.
  20. Guy Smiley

Which is why I wish you were in need of the blu-rays... I’d trade you my extra copy (I was expecting an empty replacement box, not a full second set of discs!) of the blu-rays in a heartbeat. Alas.

Note, I never wrote Dr. Rhino back about that... I didn’t want to hear he might want the discs back! I figure I will share the weatlh with someone soon enough. Either for a low, reasonable price (since it’s still available new), or a trade for anyone who’s got an extra HEAD box!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Hep Alien and rlp like this.
  21. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

A strange combination of artists, Monkees and Zappa - yet maybe not. Zappa did appear on the TV show . . .

pablo fanques, Hep Alien and rlp like this.
  22. Guy Smiley

And HEAD!

pablo fanques, Hep Alien and rlp like this.
  23. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

Well, i do collect Sun Ra ... but that discography is pretty hard for me to grasp sometimes. ;-)

Guy Smiley likes this.
  24. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

25. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Why is buying an extra copy or two crappy? Most of those titles were available for awhile. Had they not bought them they would still not be available at this point in time. People who only bought one copy may decide to later sell them for a hefty profit too. These sets were produced to be sold: whether folks got them for the music or the collectibility. I missed out on Headquarters Sessions. I couldn't care less if someone has a bunch or not.

Reader likes this.