The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yeah, on that song, (my second least liked song on the original MOTM album) I can actually hear some differences.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

That was a remix that actually made sense, it made it like a completely different version of the song, so that's a good one.

Hep Alien, FJFP and cwitt1980 like this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

I live in the US, so I can't help you with locating a UK source for the type of paper sleeves that came with the "MOTM" super deluxe edition CDs, but I can give you a tip: Even before they included the paper sleeves with the new set, I was putting my super deluxe edition CDs in the paper sleeves that are used for computer discs/DVDs, etc.. The ones I use are the white ones that have the clear center so you can read what's on the disc(s)... They work fine, and I used them for the DVDs in the original Monkees DVD season sets as well...

4. Grand_Ennui

Have to correct myself with this: In regard to the other super deluxe sets, my comment about rather having the bonus 45 cuts on the CDs rather than a bonus vinyl disc applies more, but in the case of this new super deluxe edition set ("More of the Monkees") my comment only applies half-way, as one of the songs on the bonus 45 is just another remix. I wasn't thinking of "I'm a Believer" when I wrote my comment, just the vocals only version of "Steppin' Stone" (which I would have rather had on the CD set proper).

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Stereo mix or on the vinyl?

EDIT: nevermind. I saw your clarification above. The mono is my go to version anyway. And I have the '95 CD and that digital boot that came out when the SPD set came out.

6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The ML mix has been burned in my brain since '87. The newer releases sound slow to me. But neither are as egregiously weird/slurred as that Tear Drop City mix on the new set. It sounds bizarre. Unpleasently so to me.

7. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I've actually gotten used to the 1966 speed for Tear Drop City now. Maybe it's because I haven't played Instant Replay to death.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Sounds like Dolenz is drunk and stoned and someone slowed the taped down considerably, or like when you play vinyl backward. It's really unpleasant to me. But, along with TDWFIL, it's probably the least played Monkees song in my rig, so it's not a big deal. Nice to have the options, actually.

FJFP and Hep Alien like this.
  9. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I would love to have that Birds/Bees. Been looking for it for years but none at a reasonable price ever shows up. What would you trade for it I wonder?

10. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

Why do you think Laugh gets such a hard knock. I kinda like the song. Maybe it's because of the show videos that play through my head when I hear it. Just sounds very Monkee and identifiable with the tv show.

Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  11. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

Once I heard the original version, it made me like the song more and that is the preferred version when I go back to listen to it now.

FJFP likes this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

As far as the unpopularity of "Laugh" goes, all I can think is it's just a matter of personal tastes... I know one thing that really annoys me when listening to it is the "Oh ha ha ha" backing vocals, they've just always bugged me. In my mind, it's songs like "Laugh" that would have made Nesmith want to punch holes in the wall (not saying it was one, but I can see him being irritated by it). A lot of folks have said they don't care for "Auntie Grizelda", but I actually think it's an okay song-Again, it just comes down to personal preference(s).

I will say I agree with you on "Laugh" bringing images from the TV series to mind-Whenever I listen to it, the romp from "Monkees ala mode" pops into my mind.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

PM him and find out :)

btltez likes this.
  14. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

For me it's Davy shadow boxing.

I feel those two songs you cited are two of the three songs which were certainly questionable choices for the album, given how much great material was available. But it really wasn't about picking the best songs, it was about following a formula.

But it's interesting how, for a long time, I have remembered "More" as not being one of their better albums, despite it opening with one of my all-time favorite Monkees songs. I think those three songs, while not at the "burn the master tapes and throw them into a landfill" level, left enough of an impression to drag down an otherwise very good album, at least in my memory. But this album also includes "The Kind Of Girl I Could Love," "Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)" (albeit in a cut up version) and "Sometime In The Morning," all of which I would rank among my favorites.

I think given the (subjectively) high quality material they had to choose from, "More" actually doesn't really have more questionable song choices on it than, say, "Present."

15. Grand_Ennui

@MarkTheShark-I'd agree, overall, the three songs in question *are* all questionable choices. I'm guessing Donnie included "Auntie Grizelda" in an attempt to "pacify" Peter, the same way he alloted Mike two slots per album in an attempt to "pacify" him... Maybe the TV show producers pushed to get Peter included too, but that's only a guess. Like I said, I kind of like "Auntie Grizelda" but I wonder if something like Peter's take of "I Don't Think You Know Me" would have been a better cut to introduce Peter as a vocalist?

One has to wonder, if they had included "Kicking Stones" (AKA "Teeny Tiny Gnome") instead of "Laugh", would it have been as unpopular of a song? My guess is yes. I think it'd still rate higher than "The Day We Fall in Love" though, at least as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Hep Alien and MarkTheShark like this.
  16. readr

readr Forum Resident

It was obvious after the success of the first album became apparent, DK decided to push Davy forward. He had an agenda. It would have been even more apparent had he been able to do the third album. The Monkees to DK was Davy’s band and it would be hard for Davy to argue against that. I don’t blame Davy for going along with Kirshner.....he had no idea of the lasting impact of The Monkees but I’m sure he understood that having a few hit records with your voice on it could do for his profile.

Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  17. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I wonder if part of Nez's reaction to MOTM as "the worst album in the history of the world" might at least partly have been triggered by his being relegated to one and a half song credits, and only one lead vocal. It seems like if Kirshner was under pressure to feature Peter Tork, then if something else was going to get "bumped," it would be one of Nesmith's songs rather than something by one of his writers who he "owed a favor," or with whom he'd "made a deal."

I mean, if I had written, produced and submitted "All The King's Horses" and "You Just May Be The One," and one of them got bumped (IF it got bumped) for "Auntie Grizelda"... and from Kirshner's point of view, there probably wasn't any difference, they were just songs not sung by Davy or Micky, and there was only room for one on each side of the album.

That's kind of what goes through my mind when I listen to the album and "Your Auntie Grizelda" comes on.

18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Question about this new MOTM Box Set: Does it contain all the songs on the original LP in 2017 remixed form? (other than "When loves Comes Knocking") ?

I'm looking at the track listings online and it looks to me like some are missing, unless I am not reading it right?

19. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Yes, there are some songs missing, and I'm A Believer is vinyl-only, which is ridiculously stupid.

There are also problems with the vocals being out of sync and having audible "stretching" on more than one remixed song. Very strange.

20. stereoguy

Thanks Willy,

Yes, I agree with you, putting the remixed Hit Version of "I'm a Believer" only on the 45 was insane. They should have rethought that before they mastered it.

I went back and looked again, and it seems that 2017 remixes of:
    She
    Stepping Stone
    The Kind of Girl I could Love are the ones that are missing. I counted the 'unedited" version of "Look Out" as being included because its complete and its a new remix, it just needs a little editing to be correct.

"She" and "Stepping Stone" were definitely remixed for the "Listen To The Band" Box, and I also believe on the Arista version of More of The Monkees as well. Has "The Kind of Girl I Could Love" ever been remixed?

Hep Alien, D-rock and super sally like this.
  21. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Several times, but hardly noticeable as it mainly just has less distortion. The best attempt is on "Music Box", IMO. The first LP box has a remix with different backing vocals.

22. stereoguy

Thanks Willy.

I'll have to check the Arista version and see if it was remixed there. I really like the Arista remixes, but I dont think the 1987 Digital converters were all that good, and the sonics suffered a little bit.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  23. stereoguy

Well....kind of, , BUT, you need to keep in mind, the Entire Monkees project was only Green Lighted by Jackie Cooper at Screen Gems because it would be the perfect vehicle for Davy Jones, for whom Screen Gems had been tearing their hair out trying to find something for. So saying that Kirshner "had an agenda" is technically correct, BUT it was an agenda that was handed to him by his bosses at Screen Gems.

Mechanical Man, Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  24. stereoguy

While I do understand your point, maybe take a step back and look at it from Kirshners point of view for a minute.
    He gave Nes, a struggling writer and performer who had not been successful in the record business one and a half tunes on the album, an album that sold in astronomical numbers. I can tell you this: I know many, Many, MANY musicians that would have been thrilled with that deal. Just Sayin. [/QUOTE]

MarkTheShark likes this.
  25. stereoguy

Wayne,
    This idea is a good one, and I'd love Rhino to issue "The Monkees - The NY Sessions" with the NY produced tunes from their entire catalog remixed, backing tracks, demos by Carol King and Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka etc. That would be a GREAT release!

Hep Alien, Ken K, wayne66 and 2 others like this.