The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

I agree, I love the snippet from that Mary Mary session with all four of the Monkees involved..But much prefer how the song later turned out.
    You can see even that early on, The guys had a great chemistry between them.

2. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

I haven't really read through the tracking info in the included book, Maby there is some info?
    The backing track for the theme song sounds a lot like the one used for the tv show, Not the LP.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Yes, but I'm assuming this is the version we have with the "darker" Mickey vocal.

4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Nesfan: Thing is, the remixes of She, Girl, and Stone on the LTTB Box set are inferior sounding when compared with the new Deluxe Box mastering of the 1967 Stereo mixes. These new masterings are, excellent. I dont have 'Music Box",
    but it would be hard for me to think they sound better there, even remixed.
    "When Love Comes Knocking" is my favorite song on MOTM, and (apparently) that is the one song for which there is no multitrack tape to remix from.

They really ought to remix "She", "Girl" and "Stone" this year, combine it with the 2017 remixes, and issue a Hi Res SACD / CD of this album.

JDeanB, Hep Alien, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  5. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

They really ought to remix "She", "Girl" and "Stone" this year, combine it with the 2017 remixes, and issue a Hi Res SACD / CD of this album.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point. I would be delighted if Rhino did new remixes for those three - in fact, I'm one of those people who would buy any number of different mixes of songs. Perhaps when Rhino have exhausted the vaults this time, they could go right back and any for which the multi-tracks exist could have a brand new mix. How about it Andrew Sandoval? I'll start saving now :)

6. stereoguy

Somehow, I think that after the last Deluxe Box set is issued, the next project is remixed SACD versions of every Monkees album. The tracks for which no multis exist can be remastered in High Def from the lowest generation Stereo tapes so the project can be issued.

nesfan1964 likes this.
  7. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Can't see it happening myself. Maybe a box set of remixes, as a companion set, but there's just too many key ones missing to make doing whole albums worth it.

audiomixer likes this.
  8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:unhunh:

9. stereoguy

I can see it. Whats the one thing they havent done? Issued Monkees music in Hi-Def Sound.
    Remix where possible, but master all in High Definition and release on SACD.
    Plus, the vaults are now very, very thin. Do we really need any more takes of "Ladys Baby"?

Mechanical Man and Keith V like this.
  10. stereoguy

Ok, youre shaking your head no. Care to explain why?

11. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

Although not in physical form, they have. Not necessarily using the best available source tapes, alas, according to what I've read here and elsewhere, and definitely not using recent remixes.

12. audiomixer

There won't be any SACDs. Period...

FJFP likes this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Correct!

To the organization, for right or for wrong, Nesmith was a contracted employee, not an "artist."

Keith V, Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

For the second series maybe? TV shows did that back then sometimes.

Keith V and FJFP like this.
  15. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

It would have made a nice bonus disc on the bu-ray set. A hi rez Greatest Hits set to a photo montage from the show, or the first 4 albums that cover the time frame of the series.

stereoguy and FJFP like this.
  16. stereoguy

Maybe you dont know that Rhino came whisper close to releasing a multichannel SACD of MOTM a few years ago. So I dont know how you can make any "period" statements ......

17. audiomixer

But it didn't happen, did it?

18. stereoguy

Just not yet. The fact that it was almost announced tells you that Rhino likes the general idea. Which they should, it will make money for them.

19. audiomixer

That said, I think Rhino is more in the business of DVD-A or Blu ray Audio releases, not SACD.

20. stereoguy

Well, I know what you mean, but realistically, there would be no reason they wouldnt or couldnt do SACD. But perhaps more of thier target audience has Blu-Ray players.

I think Rhino knows that thier ability to sell expensive Monkees Box Sets is dwindling after this last MOTM set. Theyve done a bunch of them. They need a new revenue stream and Hi Res is something they havent done yet.

21. audiomixer

But it might not be The Monkees. They need to move on...IMHO.

22. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Dwindling? Not sure about that, as the two most wanted titles would be the follow up to "More of...". Once those two are (hypothetically) released, *then* they can worry about dwindling sale of The Monkees.

23. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Why do they need to move on from the Monkees?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. audiomixer

Finish the deluxe box series on the remaining albums and then move on to other artists they own the masters to.

25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I really wish they’d put out a double CD of all the box set highlights (like another Missing Links set). It would be a great listen.

Especially for those of us who can’t buy them all.

Hep Alien and 905 like this.