The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

2. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

Pretty sure the Monkees store is the only place you can get it, unless someone is reselling it from there. No downloads that I'm aware of.

3. siegel7825

siegel7825 Forum Resident

4. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

What a vampire!

5. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

The boxset also being sold at the Mike and Micky merchandise stand.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  6. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Any chance of uploading the B-side to youtube?

7. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Just received the box set and looking at the production notes and wow....Mike with the exception of Mary Mary and The Kind of Girl I Could Love...had nothing to do with this album. Not even one backing track. Crazy

Hep Alien and pablo fanques like this.
  8. True but there were plenty of tracks that Krishner could have put on the album highlighting Nesmith that were recorded around the time (four or maybe five tracks I can't remember). I'm sure Nesmith would have provided more IF he had known there was going to be an album and not recording stuff for the TV show.

Hep Alien and Grand_Ennui like this.
  9. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I did not realize this. Seeing his name associated with those two tracks, I just figured he was well involved in at least half the album. Realizing his involvement was so severely limited adds a big piece of the story and what motivated him to put his hand through the wall. That and the J.C. Penney ad cover - being so creative but with no creative control in the project would drive any reasonable artist to the edge.

Hep Alien, Grand_Ennui, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  10. Yeah unfortunately Mike's involvement was minimal. They did let him try to sing "I'm A Believer" (the picture is on the back of the original album sleeve shows Mike singing for the session) but that session was either lost or destroyed) but two songs on the album was another insult to Mike. Admittedly, he didn't endear himself to Carol King when writing "Sweet Young Thing", Jeff Berry or Don Kirshner but given that Kirshner misled him (at least according to Mike), one can easily see why that happened.

11. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

What was the issue with "Sweet Young Thing"?

12. No one has really gone into depth on this. I just remember that the booklet for More of The Monkees indicated she didn't want to work with him again. Mike has always been respectful of King and her work so i'm not sure exactly what happened.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  13. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I know there was one song he did that clearly used a Geoffen/ King tune as an outline. It didn't take any of the melody but the structure was very similar. I'm pursuing sure it wasn't Sweet Young Thing. I'll have to check out the More of the Monkees booklet.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The Nesmith production of "I Don't Think You Know Me" is fairly similar to the "Headquarters" take of "You Just May Be the One". One of the drum parts on the former is almost exactly what Dolenz plays on the latter, and the bridges aren't dissimilar.

Hep Alien and JuanTCB like this.
  15. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

One surreal moment of the last ten years-- seeing and hearing Peter sing "I Don't Think You Know Me" live at a monkees show.

dangiedr, Hep Alien, Marty T and 6 others like this.
  16. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Definitely !

17. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Where/when did that happen?

18. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

45th Anniversary Tour in 2011 (Last Monkees' tour with Davy)
    Peter singing "I Don't Think You Know Me At All"

19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Not bad at all. Go Pete!

Hep Alien, D-rock, FJFP and 1 other person like this.
  20. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Peter is a considerably stronger singer now than he was in the 60s.

21. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I agree, I believe Peter's voice improved as he aged.

D-rock and AlmanacZinger like this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

+3.

You can tell he's never given up on it, and it's paid off.

Hep Alien, RobRoyF and D-rock like this.
  23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Peter Tork is a stronger singer past his sixties than he was in the '60s.

24. I was surprised at how good he sounded.

Hep Alien, RobRoyF and AlmanacZinger like this.
  25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

He sounds more comfortable singing. I can't imagine having to deal with what he did and being able to sing proper. His best moments were in "Shades of Gray" and "Words" IMO. I have a feeling he was pretty comfortable since those are more band oriented songs and he wasn't the lead. He is a good complimentary singer on those tunes. Trying to sing solo in a Jeff Barry session with a bunch of other guys playing the song couldn't have been his bag. Some of the later stuff like "Lady's Baby" aren't terrible but certainly products of too much *intake*. I don't think his singing was ever anything he wanted to focus on until he found the blues again. The Monkees stuff just seems like obligation (besides the more band oriented albums) and having his toe kept in the water.

Hep Alien likes this.