The Monkees: Season One or Season Two, which is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grand_Ennui, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Season 1 is more consistent, but when season 2 has brilliant moments they're more so than season 1. However season 1 gets a few strikes for using I'm a Believer so much.

2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree, the "soundtrack" for Season Two is better than the first, but I prefer Season One's episodes (but Season Two has its moments)...

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I agree with much of what's been said here. I voted for Season 2 because I have always preferred it, though there are great episodes from both seasons. I love the pilot, for instance, which kicks everything off and shows where they intended things to go in the beginning, having no idea of what was to follow. "Monkee Vs. Machine" is a favorite, with Stan Freberg and Severin Dardin, and Freberg coined the line "don't do that" which has so many callbacks in later shows. The "Saturday's Child" romp always makes me smile. Season 1 definitely would go down better with a mainstream audience. And the music is pretty good, but I think it got even better in Season 2 -- and the Monkees stepped forward and went about playing themselves within the confines of their characters. Many great shows in the second season, I can name a bunch of the usual suspects and so can you. "Fairy Tale," "The Devil And Peter Tork," "The Frodis Caper" are ones that stand out to me as being the most interesting. And I think the music was presented better in the second season; I love the "Rainbow Room" clips and to me, those represent the Monkees as I remember them.

But still, the music transcended the show and holds up much better all these years later, either season.

Grand_Ennui and Humbuster like this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Season 2. I prefer the drug humor and more general looseness. "The Frodis Caper" is my favorite...........different as it is, I like "The Monkees In Paris." Season 1 starts off great and ends with Julie Newmar, but have one too many spy episodes in the middle.

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

One can only hope that the hints and teases of the grand cache of found footage will yeild us one helluva Blu-Ray set when the whole Monkees project hits 50-yrs old next year.

Clips like THIS leave me hoping:

6. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

You gotta love how they started to rag on their own show, on air.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.