The Moody Blues album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenn Christense, Sep 18, 2017.

1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Cool. I’m glad you dig it. I’ll try coming back to it it a little bit. I was just dismayed on first listen that I couldn’t find anything musically to latch on to as I did immediately with their early records.

2. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Sure - when I first got 'A Question of Balance' way back in 1970 I remember playing it...and on first listening being SO mega disappointed !

only the opening track appealed to me at all to start with....

...soon I could not stop playing it ! lol

EGBDF is probably the least readily 'accessable' of the so called 'core seven' albums of 1967-72

dismissed as a 'weaker effort' at the time by critics - possibly the very odd opening four minutes or so of 'Procession' (featuring Graeme Edge on 'lead grunt' of the cavemen !) put many off - I bet a lot would 'skip' the first song and place their stylus arm on 'Story in Your Eyes'

but the first track is fascinating...the 'DESOLATION' unified cry could be heart stopping if you were listening late at night after some beers...

after the sound effects of 'Creation' , the cavemen all grunting away sounds so laughable...but note after vague 'grunts' via 'Communication' they then join together to harmonise into one united vocal sound (the evolution of 'song'), instrumentally we go from medieval onto Elizabethen sounding woodwinds and celeste / harpshicord...via the Eastern sitar too....then a church like dramatic organ that is accompanied and overtaken by swirling chamberlain leading up to that burst of concluding electric guitar as 'Rock music' finally arrives (changing everything musically just like that crash of Thunder earlier in the track had done)

...then it's all up and running...into 'The Story in Your Eyes' (a USA chart hit)

the cover is striking, Phil Travers cover of the young 'Good Boy' figure receiving gifts from the old sage that might be old Father Time himself...plus two colleagues on the rear sleeve

but the inner gatefold 'procession' is particularly interesting....the five Moodies plus producer Tony Clarke can be seen along with a steam of humanity of varying times...

the main trust of the album seems to be re humanity itself - good and bad points - and it's place in the scheme of things, even Ray's jokey animal scenario has the creatures both animals and insects all in 'balance' combining together in harmony (like those grunting earlier cavemen ?) duly all working to make music....while other songs seem to define 'despair' and 'cosmic angst' of civilisation as humanity seems to be so far from that 'solution'

- yet there IS hope in ALL of the songs

-'from the ashes we can build another day...I can hide inside your sweet sweet love forevermore' /'The days when I try to hide my fear, that's the days when I'm feeling strong...Bless the days when I'm, feeling strong' / 'I will try to understand in what you say...only true love can bring you through and will stand beside you now'/ 'If I can come through then so can you and you will find there's no regretting'/'one more time to live and I have made it mine...leave the wise to write for they write worldly rhymes'/ 'high above the summer lies the pastures of the sun where the two who learned the secret now are one, don't deny the feeling that is stealing through your heart every happy ending needs have a start...'/ 'one day I hope we'll be in perfect harmony...a planet with one mind, then I could tell you all the things inside my head...I'm gonna sing my song...a song that never ends...'

EGBDF takes a good few listenings...but once it's planted in your mind, it's there forevermore...and it's Timeless

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

sorry that lyric above should read 'high above the pastures lies the forest...' - my fading memory (!), just had a re-listen to the album !

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block Thread Starter

I haven't added anything to my thread here because we have gotten through all the Moody Blues album already .
    But, I'm so excited I can't contain my joy and have to pass along this exciting news to my fellow Moody Blues fanatics !!
    I present you .. The Moody Blues
    Rock Hall Pint Glass!

Moody Blues Rock Hall Commemorative Etched Cobalt Blue Pint Glass | Moody Blues

This is what we have all been waiting for and our dream has finally come true .
    Their music is OK I guess , but for me it's all about pint glasses . :shake: :D

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  5. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

'weep no more for treasures you've been searching for in vain...'

...your pint glass has now arrived at bargain price, plus taxes, and postage charges...

Glenn Christense likes this.
  6. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Finally, something appropriate to rest on my Moody Blues coasters.

7. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Forum Resident

Just discovered and read through most of this thread, and I can't help but chime in with some thoughts, even if I'm a few months late.

I discovered the Moody Blues somewhere around 7th or 8th grade (mid-'90s), from my parents' LP collection as well as the "Time Traveller" set. My parents had six of the "classic seven" (just missing Seventh Sojourn - although we had In Search of the Lost Chord on cassette instead of vinyl, with the songs all out of order). As a fan of Classical music, I immediately loved the orchestrations on Days of Future Passed, as well as the mellotron; I liked the lyrics a lot (much preferred philosophical subjects to love songs in those days - and now, to be honest); I liked the poetry; and as a flute player I liked Ray Thomas's frequent contributions on that instrument (for some reason I wasn't really into Jethro Tull at the time, the only other flute-incorporating band I listened to much being the Dutch group Focus, which I still love). The Moody Blues quickly became one of my favorite bands, behind only the Beatles and perhaps the Beach Boys. Saw them with an orchestra in '96 or '97 (when Ray Thomas was still with them) and despite the fact that it rained torrentially and I got completely soaked, I had a great time (this was one of the first rock shows I'd been to actually; the only one I can think of from before that was Ringo Starr and his All Star Band, at which it also poured). After high school, though, for some reason I listened to them less and less, with the exception of Days of Future Passed, which has remained one of my favorite albums. With Ray Thomas's death, I've been listening to them a lot again over the past month or two, and remembering how great they were.

I think I'd rank the core seven albums this way (though I like them all):

1. Days of Future Passed - My second favorite album of all time. A brilliant and surprisingly sophisticated concept - or really, a double concept, the songs chronicling both a single day and a lifetime. I love the orchestrations and I love the poetry, even if it's not quite Shakespeare. But most importantly, I love every song on it.

2. A Question of Balance - I know the loose consensus in this thread was that this is one of the weaker albums, but I have to disagree. Sure, it doesn't have many masterpieces on it - but I think it also doesn't have a single weak or mediocre song. "Question" alone elevates the whole album, but there isn't a single song on here that I don't like.

3. Seventh Sojourn - This was the last of the classic seven that I heard in full. As a matter of fact, I remember vividly that I got this on CD for my 16th birthday (along with the one Simon and Garfunkel album I was still missing, Bridge over Troubled Water, and some RPG books. Great birthday). Perhaps for that reason, or perhaps because of the lack of poetry or the subtly different sound of the chamberlin vs. the mellotron, I've always felt there was something a bit different about this album. In my post-high school days I think I felt that the production on it felt a bit too heavy, a bit too Phil Spectory, perhaps. But having just listened to it on a good pair of headphones recently, I find no such problem. I've also just discovered the original, longer version of "Isn't Life Strange" (always one of my favorite Moody Blues songs), which made me fall in love with that song all over again. Again, not a weak song on the album.

4. In Search of the Lost Chords - This album is, of course, much better when heard in the proper sequence than in the chopped up cassette form in which I initially encountered it. I've always considered "The Actor" and "House of Four Doors" masterpieces, and recently "Legend of a Mind" has really grown on me as well and become one of my very favorites. The only song here I find weak is the simplistic, if catchy, "Dr. Livingstone, I Presume". I also think that "Om" is all right in itself, but as an album closer is a tiny bit of a letdown.

5. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - This is one I'm ambivalent on, as it contains some real masterpieces but also, in my opinion, some of the Moody Blues' more mediocre songs. Masterpieces include "The Story in Your Eyes", "One More Time to Live", and "You Can Never Go Home". "Procession" is also one of the better quasi-song album openers. But "Our Guessing Game", "Emily's Song", and "After You Came" are all a bit "meh" for me - I mean, I don't dislike them, they just don't stand out. And "Nice to Be Here" is tied with the very similar "Dr. Livingstone, I Presume" as my least favorite track from their classic period (I like Ray Thomas's whimsy now and then, but I just find these two songs too simple and perhaps a bit too "twee" as the kids would say).

6. To Our Children's Children's Children - I like the concept of this album a lot, and it's beautifully produced, but the musical material always seemed a bit weaker to me than that on their other albums. Not that there's anything I particularly dislike - I do find "Watching and Waiting" a bit overappreciated, and I think it's a mild letdown as the album closer, and I also don't particularly find much interesting in "Sun Is Still Shining" (though I have it stuck in my head all the time, so I can't deny it's catchy). I do love "Eyes of a Child" and "Gypsy", and I actually really enjoy "Beyond" as well.

7. On the Threshold of a Dream - Again, I like every one of these seven albums; I just like the other six better than this one. "Never Comes the Day" and "Are You Sitting Comfortably" are fine songs, and I enjoy Pinder's closing suite. I mean, really, I enjoy the whole album, even if "Send Me No Wine", "To Share Our Love", "So Deep within You", and "Lazy Day" are not among my favorites.

I've heard some of their later stuff here and there, but I don't think I've actually listened to any of their post-hiatus albums in full. I've heard some good things about Octave, so maybe I should check it out. I do now also have Prelude, and I was surprised by the number of good songs from the post-Denny Laine but pre-DOFP period (well, I was already familiar with a few from the Time Traveller set, and I've always particularly loved "Cities"). Outside of "Go Now", I don't think I've heard anything by the original lineup, but I'm looking to rectify that by getting the expanded version of The Magnificent Moodies in the near future.

8. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Definitely get the expanded “Magnificent”
    The later cuts hint at what is to come in the reformed group.
    The Pinder / Laine compositions are very good.

Nick Dunning and BeSteVenn like this.
  9. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Welcome to the Forums, and welcome to the small, but passionate, group of Moody Blues fans here.

I enjoyed your takes on the classic seven albums, a very nice addition to the conversation!

10. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

You’ve got the order completely wrong, of course ;), but you make some good points and I enjoyed your post.

Pete Puma likes this.
  11. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

For decades, I avoided "Nice to Be Here", but I now quite enjoy it. It may be "twee", but I find it quite clever. On the other hand, I've always liked "Dr. Livingstone" except for one thing — Captain Scott would have seen no polar bears in the Antarctic.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

But would he have seen “giant Antarctic eels”...???
    :)
    “Nice to be Here” is a nice little tune, I like how it kicks in after the cool flute intro.
    They could really arrange tunes.

13. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Forum Resident

Speaking of which, one very silly reason I might be disinclined toward that song is the verse about Columbus. Columbus was not unusual in thinking the world was round. Also, he was one of the cruelest monsters in human history.

Since I'm on the subject of <i>In Search of the Lost Chord</i> - it's been observed on this thread that EGBDF's "Procession" progresses through the history of music. I don't recall seeing it pointed out that "House of Four Doors" does the same thing. Behind each door is a newer style:

First door - Renaissance (flute/guitar)
    Second door - Baroque (harpsichord and strings)
    Third door - Romantic (pastiche of Tchaikovsky piano concerto)
    Fourth door - Rock (Legend of a Mind)

Apologies if this was pointed out before and I missed it.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  14. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Yeah, that's a silly reason. In 1968 nobody thought of Christopher Columbus as a cruel monster. However even today it's well known that he was the first person to bring back proof that he'd discovered a new continent, round world or not.

Doctor Livingstone is a great song on the Moodies best album.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  15. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Since we've discussed every album. I'd like to discuss my mixed feelings, about their ending as a recording unit, of new material.

I like the stuff after Mike Pinder left, the band still had 4 of 5 core members. Then they did the one without Ray Thomas with disturbed me. But then Thomas came back strong on 2-3 albums before retiring.

They did the final album, the Xmas album without Thomas & put their recording career to bed. Which seemed sort of fitting, no Ray no more new records. What's a Moody Blues album, without at least one wry Ray Thomas song, without at least 1-2 tracks including that rich baritone in the group blend.

But now that it's so late in the game, & the R&R Hall is approaching, all in their 70s. I kind of wish they'd get Mike Pinder & do one more album, before it's too late. I guess it's Edge & Hayward that have issues with Pinder not Lodge. Pinder & Ray Thomas both played on one new cut from John Lodge's recent album. Just 6 months or a year before Ray Died, it sounded quite Moody Blues ish. Both Lodge & Hayward have recent solo albums that are decent.

They could take 1 archival Ray Thomas recording, bury the hatchet with Pinder & all do one last thing, I know they won't, but I'm just saying.

Anybody have any thoughts about any of that ?

16. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

At this point, it not even certain that Pinder will be at the HOF induction ceremony in a few weeks. Haven’t heard any indication of that happening.
    Think there isn’t any possibility of Pinder recording with the other three. Hayward and Lodge are devoted to doing individual small solo tours, cruises, etc.

17. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I have heard (no pun intended) that Mike Pinder's health may not be 100% now so while it would be lovely to see (you again my friend ?) Mike reunited with them at the Hall of Fame induction - and we all want that - a song performance with Mike might be unlikely tho' never say never of course

- Mike might (hopefully) be fine and 'rumours' have been exaggerated !

Justin has said there is 'nothing that can't be overcome' - suggesting he had any lingering possible 'issues' with Mike (Ray had reunited with Mike a while ago, Mike visited Ray at home and Ray spoke of past issues being 'all water under the bridge now' and both John and Graeme have been photographed smiling with Mike too) plus both Ray and Mike played on a song for John's last solo studio album of course

so I think the surviving four classic line up members are all 'o.k.' now

I suspect both Justin and John are gearing up their solo careers ready for when Graeme finally admits he's had enough...then they presumably will gracefully 'retire' the band name

John's recent solo concert DVD had most of the Moodies touring backup band with him...!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Lonesurf likes this.
  18. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

On thing I feel is 'The Present' - an album THEY slag off themselves far greater than any hostile music critic ever has !! - deserves a proper sonic overhaul

AND Justin could at long last finally do a proper mix of the infamous song 'Burning Gas Smoking Grass' sung by Ray Thomas and add it on the end of the album after Ray's song 'Sorry' !

the album begs for a second rockin' track after 'Sitting At The Wheel' and another Ray Thomas lead vocal would be most welcome !

the main fault re 'The Present' was that while each song has it's merits, and several were great ('Blue World', 'Running Water' I really liked 'Sorry' and 'Wheel' too) they were mostly very 'down' numbers re lyrical content....which put together made for a rather 'gloomy' atmosphere despite some pretty strong musicianship plus strong three part vocal harmonies and three lead vocalists featured

the album has been 'distanced' by the band, omitted from any kind of credit and even when re-issued with two bonus tracks it was the rather ordinary 12 inch extended 'Sitting at The Wheel' and the single edit of 'Blue World'

- 'Smoking Grass' presumably was deemed by record company not the proper politically correct eighties image for the former 'spaced out' trippy long distance voyagers !

a very rough version of the song posted on youtube doesn't tell us much beyond it sounds quite an energetic number - and 'The Present' certainly might have benefited from more tracks like that

Justin seems to lament the album stating how it took them SEVEN weeks to record Graeme's song 'Going Nowhere' (inspired by his then recent divorce) so it might not be a very happy period for them but then neither was 'Seventh Sojourn' - and that's a classic album !

I hope one day they will re-visit 'The Present' update it's sound and add it's lost infamous driving track...

Lonesurf likes this.
  19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Speaking of HOF induction, looks like Ann Wilson of Heart will induct the Moody Blues.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  20. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Pinder will attend HOF ceremony, but will not perform.
    Two songs will be played by Hayward, Lodge.

22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block Thread Starter

That's good that Mike is attending but too bad he won't be performing. Thanks for the info though.

23. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I have heard rumours that Mike's health is not 100% now so it's probably more a case of Mike not being up to it than them not wanting him to perform with them etc

but great to hear Mike will attend

let's face it Graeme's not that great now health wise either...!

24. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

So what are these rumours about Pinder's health you keep talking about?

25. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

over on Moody Blues Attitude forum they speak of rumours - and only that - circulating that Mike now has some memory problems which may be age related etc

but I stress it's a RUMOUR and hopefully Mike is fine (I certainly hope so)

whatever he hasn't performed live to a sizeable audience in some time now, as Justin pointed out in a recent interview, so it's not surprising if Mike attends but does not perform