The Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" Album is Superb!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluerondo, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently bought the SCAD of the Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" album, and though I had heard it before I was struck listening to it this time around with what a consistently great album it is. I've always love "Days of Future Passed" and consider it perhaps even THE great Moody Blues classic, but other than that album "Seventh Sojourn" stands out to me as their next best one, although "On the Threshold of a Dream" runs a close second in my book. Although I realize this subject has been touched on before (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-was-the-last-good-moody-blues-album.397578/#post-11736133 ), I just wanted to throw the idea out there again anyways.

2. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I've had the surround cd release in my cue but haven't pulled the trigger.

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Sure, it's great, but all the classic 7 albums are various degrees of superb in my book.
    Instead of being nicknamed the classic 7 though, I think we should upgrade the nickname to...
    The Magnificent Seven. :D

4. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

One of my favorite Moodies albums. I like the SACD for the bonus track(s), especially Island and the long version of Isn't Life Strange. Those songs should have made it to the released album (imho). Although I'm a fan of surround sound, I think it's a mixed bag on this album. Some of it works and some doesn't.

I think it's a great album, although many of the band members seem to remember a lot of turmoil and just bad things happening around this time.

5. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I share your joy and love for this record and remember when it was first released. Hasn't lost any of its sparkle for me over all these years. Still gets me high.

6. Bear

Bear Forum Resident

Aah, the Moodies. Thanks for reminding me to spin some of their albums again, it's been too long.

One of my favorite songs of theirs is "Gypsy (Of a Strange and Distant Time)" from To Our Children's Children. Why did The Moody Blues always have such good album titles!? :D

St. Troy, Gramps Tom, gramfan and 3 others like this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Totally agree (although I suspect that Island hadn't yet been written).

BTW, has anyone noticed the similarity between Island and Doin' Time on Justin's Songwriter?

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I think the Moodies were clearly losing steam with Seventh.
    YMMV.

9. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Yes, it is. I bought their seven classic albums (and "Go Now" and "Magnificent Moodies") in about 1975 and have always liked them all. I particularly enjoy "Seventh Sojourn" and think that it is very strong, especially side two. It was a big deal to me when they reunited in 1978, but I never added "Octave" or their later efforts to my collection - I was still in high school and was spending most of my money on the Beatles. I'm glad to see that the Moodies are appreciated here.

bluerondo likes this.
  10. zen

zen Senior Member

Yep, an excellent album.

Front 242 Addict and Gramps Tom like this.
  11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Hey, you killed off one generation ! :p

12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Can't Octave be included? MB's obviously relayed the idea via the album's title. All the Days guys are there...
    It has some killer tracks. Is the time gap the reason? The lack of Mellotron? The boring cover?

13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

My favorite Moody's album is In Search Of The Lost Chord.
    Followed by Threshold.
    I haven't really sat and listened to Seventh Sojourn for many years.
    Is the SACD readily available?

bvb1123 and Gramps Tom like this.
  14. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

"On the Threshold of a Dream" is my fave Moodies, followed by "Seventh Sojourn".

A clean copy of the UK vinyl of the latter (either first or second pressing) is one of the best-sounding albums you'll ever hear!

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  15. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I don't think any of us would judge an album based on the things you mentioned. In the end, it's the songs. octave has some gems, but lower percentage of them as the previous albums.

16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

My favorites pretty much follow the release order.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're interested in the surround mix.

17. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like all the Core 7 plus Octave. My top three would be Children's Children / Question of Balance / EGBDF, but they're all good.

Side 1 of Seventh Sojourn is terrific, side 2 I sometimes skip except for Land of Make Believe, but I still like the whole thing.

And Lost in a Lost World is their best album opener, IMHO, even if you skip the Edge spoken-word snippets like Departure (the 45 version of Question, had it opened AQoB like it should have, would have given it a run for its money though).

Gramps Tom and erikdavid5000 like this.
  18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Every bit as good as the previous 5. ....

Gramps Tom and Joti Cover like this.
  19. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Or the bonus tracks...

20. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

The tone Hayward has on You & Me is really interesting. Granted, that trademark tone is present on other Moodies tunes, but it really stands out there.

That tone sounds difficult to recreate too, but I'm sure there's probably a copycat setting on one of those damned amps with digital settings where you can pick out everything from SRV, Page and so on yet can barely make your own settings without it sounding like thin garbage.

Gramps Tom, duggan and bluerondo like this.
  21. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Some of my favorite ever lyrics............

Have we forgotten we're all children?
    Children from a family tree
    That's longer than a centipede
    Started long ago when you and I
    Were only love

McLover and Joti Cover like this.
  22. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

So not very long then.

23. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Great album and extremely redolent of the 1970's. There's a heavy political leaning to it which does make it a bit of a time machine.

I didn't realise the subject of 'When You're A Free Man' was Timothy Leary until recently.

Joti Cover likes this.
  24. tyler8

tyler8 Forum Resident

One of my first albums. Still enjoy it very much.

Simon A and Joti Cover like this.
  25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Along with
    Agree with you: Seventh Sojourn and Days of Future Passed are my two favorite Moody Blues albums.

Hey Vinyl Man and bluerondo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.