The most annoying "Best of", "Greatest Hits" Compilations (key hits missing, live tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member Thread Starter

This was inspired by the "Is there a true Stevie Wonder - ´Best of´ or ´Greatest Hits´?" thread.

I guess many of you know this problem: You´re searching for a comprehensive sampler with one of the above mentioned titles in order to have ALL of the band´s or artist´s true highlights on one album, and while looking at the tracklist on the rear cover you notice that there´s this ONE song missing that would have had to be included in order to justify the album´s name.

The first annoying case that crossed my mind (besides the European version of S.W.´s "Song Review - A Greatest Hits Collection") was Tom Robinson´s "The Collection 1977 - '87" which - believe it or not - didn´t contain "Power in the Darkness".

I´m sure you know many more incomprehensible and unbounded cheeks like this.

Jocko likes this.
  2. houston

houston Forum Resident

first that comes to mind is Wings Greatest...no "listen to what the man said"!

3. Any best-of by ELO that doesn't contain songs like "Fire On High" and "Tightrope/"

4. Or anything from Venus and Mars, yet WG was my introduction to Wings and one of my favorite discs to listen to when I was younger. I like Wingspan better overall, but I wish it contained full versions of "Junior's Farm," "With a Little Luck," "Venus and Mars" and "Rock Show." I'm fine with the edit of "Waterfalls."

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Styx - the 2-disc Come Sail Away: The Styx Anthology. It left off "Don't Let It End", the reason given that there were already enough Dennis songs. Well duh, he wrote and sang most of the hits so of course he would dominate the collection. Ah well, it would otherwise been a perfect comp for casual fans such as myself.

6. The Rolling Stones' Forty Licks is excellent overall as a career-spanning collection, but the absence of songs like "As Tears Go By," "Time Is On My Side," "I'm Free," "Play With Fire," "2000 Light Years From Home," "Monkey Man," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "Rocks Off," "Memory Motel," "She's So Cold" and "Hang Fire" is disappointing, and so are the edits of "Miss You," "Fool to Cry," "It's Only Rock 'n Roll," "Beast of Burden," "Emotional Rescue" and "Undercover of the Night."

7. Agreed, that's why I went for Styx's Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits Part 2. Much better track selection, especially including "Queen of Spades." For the early stuff, The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings is a must-have.

MikeInFla likes this.
  8. Peter Gabriel: Shaking The Tree

Where is In Your Eyes ?

CDFanatic, rhino4evr, Ant G and 55 others like this.
  9. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member Thread Starter

Unbelievable, isn´t it?

10. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Any of Zappa's greatest hits type albums are a disaster, in my opinion.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

How about the semi-recent "Greatest Hits" collection by Crosby Stills & Nash that excludes "Woodstock"?
    :bigeek:

12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Those older Smiths comps, Best I and II were utterly worthless.

13. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

That was the first one that came to mind.

spondres, Dodoz, frightwigwam and 4 others like this.
  14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Life on Mars? not being on CHANGESONEBOWIE.

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Well, one thing I've noticed is that artists (or their management) will often omit songs the artist didn't write, presumably to maximize publishing royalties on what will likely be the one CD stocked by big box retailers.

Note the absence of the Wallflowers' cover of "Heroes" from their newly released greatest hits set, or how Bob Seger's first comp forgot "Shame on the Moon" and "Shakedown," two of the biggest hits of his career.

16. handydandy

handydandy New Member

European Dylan compilations which fails to include chart singles such as Baby Stop Crying, Wigwam, Man Gave Names To All The Animals, Heart of Mine.

Record labels should always use the artists' international single discography as a guide when compiling these things.

Dodoz and FJFP like this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Re: Fire on High, wouldn't that be all of them.

samohtben and wrappedinsky like this.
  18. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I never liked "The Essential (insert artist/band name here)" compilations. Predictable track slection, bland graphic design.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I wish Richard Thompson comps would stop giving short shrift to his electric rock stuff. The forthcoming Shout Factory one especially-- Four CD's and they couldnt find a place for "Gypsy Love Songs"!?

melstapler likes this.
  20. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The Roy Orbison "Best Of" <was it "In Dreams"?> that was all re-recordings of his hits that came out in the late 80's. It didn't state this on the artwork as I recall....

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You guys are too young. Ya don't remember PAUL ANKA'S GREATEST HITS on RCA-Victor around 1962 or so? All fake re-records. Dreadful.

How about DONOVAN'S GREATEST with those two turkey re-records on it? Urggh.

How about any album titled "Greatest Hits Live"?

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Or Ryko substituting "Fame 90", on Changesbowie and leaving off the original "Fame". That's what irritates me the most, live tracks and dance remixes that are substituted for the real versions

The Fixx's Greatest Hits
    is another example.

Warner's Golden Hits Of The Everly Brothers is another one with recuts. While I know some people really like the later versions, the older sounding vocals ruin it for me.

23. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

The Who's "Ultimate Collection" omitting "The Relay," even though there was room for it. Even the UK version with five extra tracks left it off.

And one I could never understand: CCR "Chronicles." Every hit single they had except for "Born On the Bayou."

GrayMouser, Scott57, The MEZ and 18 others like this.
  24. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Dire Straits - money for nothing comp. Horrible tracklist excludes industrial disease, so far away, and other hits. Also contains the short edit of the title song.

25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Echoes : The Best of Pink Floyd .

Where is "Careful with that Axe Eugene"?:realmad:

...and it has no songs from More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Obscured by clouds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.